Sponsored by:

Charging adapter for 12-volt electrical socket

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Charging adapter for 12-volt electrical socket

I know this seems very elementary, but can someone clarify this for me? Do you know more about this difference in charging adapters? I want to add a USB powerplug in the under dash accessory outlet, but according to the manual, every USB adapter I can find uses a configuration that Porsche says is "Unsuitable". After some googling, I found that there are European and US standards for plugs. Is this really significant? Or, can you point me to a 12V-to-USB adapter that Porsche considers "suitable"? Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That is kind of confusing the way they show the measurements, because there are very few flush fit chargers on the market making that measurement sort of irrelevant. That 16MM max measurement just isn't true for chargers that don't sit flush on the plug, and extend beyond the top of the plug. A better measurement would be to make sure the grounds center is like 20MM from the bottom edge of the charger. All that aside any Anker charger will work, and they are a good quality product. Check Amazon, there are many varieties of Anker chargers.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Alf, I will take a look. I agree, the dimension "X" seems irrelevant. Porsche seems to be talking about the other dimension (between base and center of ground), but who knows.
BTW, I picked up my new GTS on Saturday, pic in my avatar. If the 12V socket is my biggest problem then I'm doing ok.
I hope your repair is coming along well!

Quick Reply: Charging adapter for 12-volt electrical socket