Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera vs. Carrera T - latest issue of Total 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I would also like to see S brakes on the T.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I was trying to figure out how much the S brakes would cost. Rears are the same. Based on what Im seeing on sunsetporsche parts it cant be more than 3000. You can cerakote them black for a couple hundred bucks. Brembos are 3500-4000.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:28 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I was trying to figure out how much the S brakes would cost. Rears are the same. Based on what Im seeing on sunsetporsche parts it cant be more than 3000. You can cerakote them black for a couple hundred bucks..
This is what I am hoping to do on my T.
But can anyone confirm the S brakes will bolt up to the T without changing the wheel carriers/Knuckles?
I have a request in to Suncoast but haven't heard back with their findings yet.

EDIT: I just looked at Sunset Porsche parts diagram. It looks like the knuckles are the same for the base 991.2 and the S. So it should be a straightforward swap.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by seffeed
I don’t mean to highjack this thread but have been curious about this question and I may be naive about it also...when I spec similar T and C2S models on configurator, the difference is about $3k. Can someone explain all the hype regarding the T? Why not buy an S? Thanks.
I want to be clear that this is *just my opinion*, but I actually prefer the 370HP base Carrera engine to the higher levels of boost/hp in the other 3.0L motors. Now I have not specifically driven the .2 C2S, but I had driven the .2 GTS and it had more turbo lag and just too much power on tap once the turbo's did kick in, that I felt I wouldn't be able to really ever wind the engine out outside of a track. 2nd gear manual mode, get on the gas and wow break immediately.

The base 3.0L motor when I drove it, again for me, was just amazing. It's goldilocks of turbo and NA engines: minimal lag with consistent power delivery up to near redline (rather than turbos on and then out of breath), but still a very fun shove when the turbos do kick in and the "shove" continues up till near redline.

Just my 2 cents and why I went for a C4 rather than GTS or C2S when I was cross shopping them. And even the base engine will get me into trouble if I am driving spiritedly....
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I want to be clear that this is *just my opinion*, but I actually prefer the 370HP base Carrera engine to the higher levels of boost/hp in the other 3.0L motors. Now I have not specifically driven the .2 C2S, but I had driven the .2 GTS and it had more turbo lag and just too much power on tap once the turbo's did kick in, that I felt I wouldn't be able to really ever wind the engine out outside of a track. 2nd gear manual mode, get on the gas and wow break immediately.

The base 3.0L motor when I drove it, again for me, was just amazing. It's goldilocks of turbo and NA engines: minimal lag with consistent power delivery up to near redline (rather than turbos on and then out of breath), but still a very fun shove when the turbos do kick in and the "shove" continues up till near redline.

Just my 2 cents and why I went for a C4 rather than GTS or C2S when I was cross shopping them. And even the base engine will get me into trouble if I am driving spiritedly....
Completely agree with you.

I don't think that buying a T is just a matter of cost. I didn't get a T because I could not afford an S or GTS. Heck, my build's cost is well into GTS territory.

I'm buying the T because it has the engine I prefer, while allowing me to get the options I want (PTV, LSD, S-PASM and Rear Axle Steering).

Now I get to enjoy those things in a package that is unique in itself, adds even more goodies (GT2RS rear glass, better Shifter, unique styling cues).

So, I really didn't care if this was going to cost more or less than an S or GTS. This is what I wanted to buy for me.

And what about resale???? I could care less. In most cases you may get hosed at trade-in one way or another. That is why I always sell my cars directly, and so far very successfully. Most likely there are a few other crazies like me out there that like the same things I do

And from the reviews I've read so far, I think I made the right decision going with the T.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM
UVXY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone think it would be ridiculous to delete the lightweight glass on a T?

I read in a couple of threads that the lightweight glass looks/feels cheap, like plastic -- is this true?

Can anyone who's seen a T in person chime in?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The same glass is used on the $300k RS, so cheapness is in the eyes of the beholder. Look up the price on Suncoast if you want a real eye opener.

All new Porsches are expensive, so order a car with options that speak to you. Lots of people would be better off with a standard base Carrera.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by UVXY

I read in a couple of threads that the lightweight glass looks/feels cheap, like plastic -- is this true?
No. Not plastic, and feels very high quality. My car was delivered last week with the lightweight glass - so I speak from firsthand experience.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Does anyone think it would be ridiculous to delete the lightweight glass on a T?

Not at all! As has been said, it is a very cool feature, and shared with the GT2 RS!

I have deleted it on my T, but only because for me, the car will be my daily driver and sole car. Over here in the UK, I feel that I need the heated rear screen in my daily driver.

My T will still have plenty of other cool features, including the removal of sound deadening elsewhere in the car.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

That reminds me...Pete Stout - if you read this - did you ever get a firm answer from Porsche about what other sound deadening was removed?

cheers!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In another thread from months ago, k997 published the sales crib sheet (nice find k997 - gold star).
Marked as 'Confidential Dealer Information - For Internal Authorised Porsche Dealer Only' it makes comment on the option of deleting the lightweight glass.
Of course a heated screen is is the sensible choice but is a 911 a sensible car?
I've chosen to keep LWG; probably a more ridiculous decision than getting the heated glass but so what.

Originally Posted by k997

Last edited by Puf n Stuf; 05-18-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
In another thread from months ago, k997 published the sales crib sheet (nice find k997 - gold star).
Marked as 'Confidential Dealer Information - For Internal Authorised Porsche Dealer Only' it makes comment on the option of deleting the lightweight glass.
Of course a heated screen is is the sensible choice but is a 911 a sensible car?
I've chosen to keep LWG; probably a more ridiculous decision than getting the heated glass but so what.

My favorite part is the comment next to it ... "Oh come on!". Shows even Porsche has a subtle sense of humor. Not judging anyone that removes the LWG, I think it's fine either way.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

A few of us were chastised for suggesting the 3.4 would be an improvement in this car... interesting how Total 911 has the same, estute assessment
Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All three versions of the 9A2 offer different experiences.

The "base" delivers a nice responsive engine that will suit both a daily C or weekend T. Conversely, the 450HP unit punches very hard to the red line with great throttle response and on throttle adjustability. The S sits nicely in between. The difference between all three platforms is very noticeable above 3500RPM.

For many, and perhaps most the T/"base" will make a lot of sense.

This is what Porsche do really well e.g. offer a different range of experiences developed from a robust and versatile platform.

(and for those of you that are uncertain - get RAS it in effect extends the wheelbase by around ~ 20 inches, this is transformative in terms of how the car behaves in corners).

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-05-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
That reminds me...Pete Stout - if you read this - did you ever get a firm answer from Porsche about what other sound deadening was removed?

cheers!
What I recall was that the mat under the carpeting in the rear was different. That and the altered rear glass, not to mention the air brake, might be enough alter some things. I will bug a friend in the PR dept again to see if we can get some diagrams—though I suspect Suncoast may already be onto this. If not, they should be.

Curious for your take as you live with it and the exhaust system "breaks in" but my take was "nicer, but not night and day (suddenly GT3 or GT4)." And there's nothing wrong with that....

Quick Reply: Carrera vs. Carrera T - latest issue of Total 911