Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

targa owners who ski/snowboard/carry long things

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Jazz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default targa owners who ski/snowboard/carry long things

This may be a long shot because I searched and didn't see any similar requests... any targa owners carry snowboards inside the cabin? In something like this: https://www.dakine.com/en-ca/bags/tr...snowboard-bag/

I don't think the dealership would be too fond of my throwing snowboards around in a car on their lot to test (maybe if I bought the bag, but I hadn't planned on buying a bag until I knew it would work).

For targa owners that have carried other stuff, the bag I'd use is 12" x 7" x 65". Potentially two bags would need to fit and I imagine they'd extend in past the arm rest. Obviously if I'm heading to the mountains, the top would be up so I'd have all the room inside to use. It would be a 991.2 specifically I'm interested in, but I can't imagine there's much difference in cabin space between a .1 and .2

I know there's other options, like the seasucker mounts, but that doesn't seem very secure because I'll usually take my stuff to work and head straight to the mountains after - I'd hate to come back to missing kit!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The replacement costs of that targa bar when you scratch it with your skis the first time will easily cover the total ownership costs of just getting a used SUV to take up to the mountains.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about this too. I have a 991.1 and the tArga bar does not seem wide enough of a surface for seersucker. Also there is a matte finish which may not help. Maybe seersucker in glass diginally.

On another note, i actually noticed some scratches on the matte from rubbing it with a dirty cloth and tried to remove it - had to buff the whole bar which is not as matte but looks good still. Cheaper than replacement.

let me know if you figure an alternative.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The replacement costs of that targa bar when you scratch it with your skis the first time will easily cover the total ownership costs of just getting a used SUV to take up to the mountains.
this

just get a cheap SUV for such trips. Targa not intended for such use.

If you really want an all in one 911, you need a more versatile coupe version as you can put a roof rack on it to safely transport skis or other large items.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is your first post in 14 years!?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 AM
Jazz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I live in a downtown condo with only one parking spot. Part of the allure of a 911 is it's versatility - I'd want it to be functional for any situation I'd need

Originally Posted by aduong
I was thinking about this too. I have a 991.1 and the tArga bar does not seem wide enough of a surface for seersucker. Also there is a matte finish which may not help. Maybe seersucker in glass diginally.

On another note, i actually noticed some scratches on the matte from rubbing it with a dirty cloth and tried to remove it - had to buff the whole bar which is not as matte but looks good still. Cheaper than replacement.

let me know if you figure an alternative.
I was thinking of the seasuckers mounted on the rear glass with the boards going horizontally - the car is wider than snowboards are long, so hopefully this would work. I don't think I'd try to stick anything to the targa bar.

Originally Posted by Drifting

this

just get a cheap SUV for such trips. Targa not intended for such use.

If you really want an all in one 911, you need a more versatile coupe version as you can put a roof rack on it to safely transport skis or other large items.

I could do a coupe too, but that targa is so sexy...

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
This is your first post in 14 years!?
Haha, yeah. I registered back when I bought a cayman, but I was just a lurker. I went over to the Mercedes world for a while - those AMG V8's are intoxicating Thinking of coming back to the Porsche world now, though.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz
I live in a downtown condo with only one parking spot. Part of the allure of a 911 is it's versatility - I'd want it to be functional for any situation I'd need
Ah ok. I hate downtowns and condos and that sort of stuff but to each his own!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: targa owners who ski/snowboard/carry long things