Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911T Chrono Package and Rear axle steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
Default 911T Chrono Package and Rear axle steering ?

Configuring my T build (locks at end of month), trying to figure out if I need these. I probably wont track the car but I am going to drive hard, guaranteed.
1. Chrono Package icw track precision app - $320:
" Analog and digital chronograph - a chronometer installed on top of the dashboard can be used for timing laps, and can be configured as a clock when not actively used as a stopwatch.
Porsche Track Precision App functionality (may not be compatible with all mobile devices or service providers)"
I know almost all of the sport chrono functionality is standard on the T : adjustable driveline mounts, sport plus (throttle mapping), and rev match etc. Sport plus may also have a "launch mode"- 4200 rpm rev limiter (even though manuals dont get the "Launch control active" on the dash like PDK). I like the look of the flat dash, but dont wanna lose any ECU/TCU functionality if I don't spec the "Chrono package". Just making sure its just the clock and track app readiness. Anyone have any ideas??

2. Rear axle steering - $2090 ... self explanatory.
Do you really need this with the LSD /driveline mounts/ and SPASM with the base carrera engine? I bought 20' wheels for the winter set, so I should be good for clearance. Worried it might rob some of the 911 driving character if I got it.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:46 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Well, that is the way I spec’d mine, so yes, not only I would but did

I did a test drive on an S that had it and was hooked on it. It feels so stable and dynamic at the same time, it is hard to describe.

I think that RWS is quite unique in character, and is something you are not able to get with the base Carrera. I added it mostly due to the shorter turn radius, but also adding more stability on highway driving is a plus.

Cheers!

Old 03-01-2018, 09:53 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Well, that is the way I spec’d mine, so yes, not only I would but did

I did a test drive on an S that had it and was hooked on it. It feels so stable and dynamic at the same time, it is hard to describe.

I think that RWS is quite unique in character, and is something you are not able to get with the base Carrera. I added it mostly due to the shorter turn radius, but also adding more stability on highway driving is a plus.
Out of curiosity, how much does the rear wheel steering reduce the turning circle? The first time I learned about rear wheel steering, was on a Sierra pickup truck - it turned an ~46' turning circle into something like 25' (yes, 25 feet, it could do a U-turn in 2 lanes with room to spare).
Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

1.5 feet
Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
1.5 feet
So, 36' > 34.5'? If so, that is turning inside of a Mini. (Thumbup)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

This is my 4th 911. In no way do I think the RAS has negatively affected the driving character of the car... it has only made it even more agile.

Here's the subsection on low speed behavior of the RAS and the impact on turning radius in the tech docs.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Heres a tough one... Do you think RAS will help in snow?

Also no one used the term "wart" yet for chrono pack.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just for fun, here is a good video of low-speed RAS at work on a Panamera Turbo
Old 03-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Cool Its like a caterpillar! I dont think I need the narrower turning circle. I would get it for cornering and highway stability. What would push me over the edge was if it helped in snow.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Cool Its like a caterpillar! I dont think I need the narrower turning circle. I would get it for cornering and highway stability. What would push me over the edge was if it helped in snow.
Get it so the guy after you gets a better value.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
Get it so the guy after you gets a better value.
LOL. That would be one of 4 options I put on the car (currently has 3). GT silver, FAL, heated MF steering wheel.
Trying to add weight to the wallet and keep it off the car, but not at the expense of usability or safety.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GT silver is paid option? Ouch.

I can attest to rear axle steer. After driving a '13C4S back to back with my .2 GTS with RAS I could definitely notice the GTS snaking around fast left and right turns on the street.

It's not extremely noticeable like a C63 where it feels like the car has an awful alignment and will oversteer. It's very subtle on high speed turns on the 911.. I haven't tried kicking the rear end out for a drift but I'd guess it would hinder any kind of drifting attempt.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Fortunately with the 991.2 the price of GT Silver dropped from over $3k to seven hundred and some odd.

I can't imagine how RAS would help a lot in snow... but I'll leave that to someone with experience in the snow.

Here is a little more info on the mid-to-higher speed behavior of RAS, just FYI. BTW, I understand the RAS on GT3 models is a bit more aggressive than on the Carrera models.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 AM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my Targa with rear wheel steering. It's a great thing to have. The handling at speed around corners with it is pretty incredible. Turning radius is tiny. Go for it.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Making a strong case. Need to drive with and without RAS back to back.
Still dont know what to do about the clock

Quick Reply: 911T Chrono Package and Rear axle steering ?