Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911T Chrono Package and Rear axle steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Porsche website, when describing Sport Chrono, only mentions Launch Control in conjunction with PDK.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Its not an actual "launch control" function in the manual. Its a rev limiter that keeps it at 4200 rpm with the clutch depressed and the throttle floored. Its programmed to do this to protect the transmission, but it is in fact a poor man's launch control. Confirmed with service dept. You're not supposed to do it alot because its not a wet clutch and you can damage it more easily than the PDK. So, its not advertised.
On a side note. Some magazines have alluded to the fact that the manual "only launches at 4k rpm" vs 6500 for the pdk, and thats one of the reasons its slower I still think the main reason is humans just cant shift gears as fast and you need to come off throttle to switch to second gear, which means you lose boost.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:51 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wasn't aware that chrono was standard on the T, that's really cool. I say screw the clock then, it robs visibility at this point.. When are you ever going to use the track app and how often?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I wont track the car. I dont have sufficient track experience and I have two little daughters that love their daddy.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Its not an actual "launch control" function in the manual. Its a rev limiter that keeps it at 4200 rpm with the clutch depressed and the throttle floored. Its programmed to do this to protect the transmission, but it is in fact a poor man's launch control. Confirmed with service dept. You're not supposed to do it alot because its not a wet clutch and you can damage it more easily than the PDK. So, its not advertised.
On a side note. Some magazines have alluded to the fact that the manual "only launches at 4k rpm" vs 6500 for the pdk, and thats one of the reasons its slower I still think the main reason is humans just cant shift gears as fast and you need to come off throttle to switch to second gear, which means you lose boost.

Ah, thanks.

And I agree about the fractionally longer 0-62 time for the manual, as no mortal human can change from 1st to 2nd as quickly as the PDK, not that 0.3 seconds bothers me in the least.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And I agree about the fractionally longer 0-62 time for the manual, as no mortal human can change from 1st to 2nd as quickly as the PDK, not that 0.3 seconds bothers me in the least.
It doesn’t bother me either, as if someone has a manual, it’s because they wanted one and enjoy using it.

In real life I expect the PDK difference would be significantly more than 0.3s as the manual figures are the best achieved in ideal conditions by experienced drivers with unlimited (brutal) attempts vs. the PDK which does it perfectly every time. Again, I think most of us bought our cars for driving pleasure as opposed to statistics, so who cares unless you’re a drag racer - both cars are at the upper end of quick for use on public roads...

Last edited by Ed911.2; 03-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Configuring my T build (locks at end of month), trying to figure out if I need these. I probably wont track the car but I am going to drive hard, guaranteed.
1. Chrono Package icw track precision app - $320:
" Analog and digital chronograph - a chronometer installed on top of the dashboard can be used for timing laps, and can be configured as a clock when not actively used as a stopwatch.
Porsche Track Precision App functionality (may not be compatible with all mobile devices or service providers)"
I know almost all of the sport chrono functionality is standard on the T : adjustable driveline mounts, sport plus (throttle mapping), and rev match etc. Sport plus may also have a "launch mode"- 4200 rpm rev limiter (even though manuals dont get the "Launch control active" on the dash like PDK). I like the look of the flat dash, but dont wanna lose any ECU/TCU functionality if I don't spec the "Chrono package". Just making sure its just the clock and track app readiness. Anyone have any ideas??

2. Rear axle steering - $2090 ... self explanatory.
Do you really need this with the LSD /driveline mounts/ and SPASM with the base carrera engine? I bought 20' wheels for the winter set, so I should be good for clearance. Worried it might rob some of the 911 driving character if I got it.
1) 320 bucks is pennies on a 100K car to erase any doubt . Not a necessity but cant hurt anything.

As for rear axle steering -- Obviously if Porsche feels this component has tested well on the car and even charges 2 percent of the MSRP to have it then it's bound to add benefit. On the other hand even a zero option stripped car will still drive in a world class category . Let the wallet decide !!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
1) 320 bucks is pennies on a 100K car to erase any doubt . Not a necessity but cant hurt anything.

As for rear axle steering -- Obviously if Porsche feels this component has tested well on the car and even charges 2 percent of the MSRP to have it then it's bound to add benefit. On the other hand even a zero option stripped car will still drive in a world class category . Let the wallet decide !!
I think my wallet has pimp slapped me multiple times daily... LOL
Rear axle steering unfortunately might not happen.. as things stand. Im spending more $ for a better winter wheel set with N0 or N1 spec Michelin Alpins so I can confidently drive this bad boy 360-365 days a year. I still plan on back to back drives with two C2Ss with and without RAS before the build locks. I might love it.
The $320 is in fact "peanuts" but I love a slick dash without the hooter in the middle. If alex is correct and the clock has been separated from the package for "weight savings" then i really want to skip it. This is the only car other than the GT series that gets the chrono pack parceled out like this (with the important bits standard).
Always nice to have you chime in Cant wait to get it delivery is set first week of July.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM
JimHJr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if RAS helps alleviate wheel hop at slow speed cornering (pulling into driveways/etc)? If so I’d probably spec it for that alone. Myself for 300$ I’d spec crono but I like the look of it.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I think my wallet has pimp slapped me multiple times daily... LOL
Rear axle steering unfortunately might not happen.. as things stand. Im spending more $ for a better winter wheel set with N0 or N1 spec Michelin Alpins so I can confidently drive this bad boy 360-365 days a year. I still plan on back to back drives with two C2Ss with and without RAS before the build locks. I might love it.
The $320 is in fact "peanuts" but I love a slick dash without the hooter in the middle. If alex is correct and the clock has been separated from the package for "weight savings" then i really want to skip it. This is the only car other than the GT series that gets the chrono pack parceled out like this (with the important bits standard).
Always nice to have you chime in Cant wait to get it delivery is set first week of July.
Get the RAS. Save for the winter wheel set. Loose the clock if you prefer the clean dash. My .02.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Here's a theoretical question, and possibly not pertienent. If you hit a pothole and the RAS breaks, does it get covered on warranty or is it "wear and tear"?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Surely you are talking about caster angle not RAS?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Not sure, is it possible to damage the rear steer components with this type of impact? Just asking out of ignorance.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You would probably hit the pothole with the front tires first, so there would be plenty of things to go wrong. Maybe your comprehensive insurance would cover severe pothole damage? Not the dealers’ responsibility to fix stuff that you break.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess that if it was a hard enough impact to mess up the RAS, the tyre would be history along with the rim and possibly other suspension components. The RAS part of it would probably be the cheapest out of that lot to repair/replace...

Quick Reply: 911T Chrono Package and Rear axle steering ?