Sponsored by:

Anyone here actually purchase a subscription for Porsche Connect +

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Anyone here actually purchase a subscription for Porsche Connect +

As the title suggests, I'm looking for anyone that has paid for a subscription, not the 12 months free. I'm curious about the pricing in the Porsche Connect store. As you can see from the Connect store the subscription for NAV & Infotainment services includes an internet connection.

The reason for my question is I was told when my '18 GTS was activated that Connect Plus services needed a data connection, so they put in a free ATT sim card for that purpose. The services were free for 12 months, but the sim card was only good for 3 months. Go figure.

Also, all the chatter here on RL seems to indicate needing some sim card, or using your phone as a hotspot for data. So where does this "included" internet connection come from for the subscription, and why wasn't it included in the free trial period? Nowhere in the Connect store does it say you have to bring your own data in order to use the services you just paid $189 to use. It makes sense they would provide access to the services they just sold you, otherwise they are charging you $189/year just for access to S/W you already paid for when you bought the car, and without the ability to actually use it.

So where is this mysterious internet connection hiding? I'm just trying to figure out if they are telling the truth, and continuation of those particular Connect Plus services will work as advertised on its own included internet connection.

BTW, this is purely about the NAV & Infotainment Services of Connect Plus, and Porsche's description of what's included in the price for those services in the Porsche Connect store. I fully realize Porsche Connect is different, and you will need a Vodaphone subscription for Connect to work. I also realize one would need a sim card of some variety to use the car as a WiFi hotspot.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

I am old school. I detest most auto gadgetry . If I had 10 bucks for every gadget on all of my cars that i never wanted I could buy a new 911 .since i also post on an SUV forum a lot of guys love this stuff so when i bought my GTS off the lot I decided to have an open mind and at least listen to the sales guy explain it . I was impressed to see it as he explained it but that is as far as it ever went . so no I never subscribed . All i use is my phone and sat radio and even those items are in small doses .
Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Just don't seem to need the Porsche Connect. With a cell phone in the car, Apple Car Play and the standard Nav, I can't understand what you are paying for??.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn’t, as stated above, with CarPlay who needs it. Also, if you use you’re phone as a hot spot, you can enjoy Google maps sat view and street view with traffic info for free (just use your data).
Old 02-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Just don't seem to need the Porsche Connect. With a cell phone in the car, Apple Car Play and the standard Nav, I can't understand what you are paying for??.

I'm not paying for anything. I'm just trying to figure out where this internet connection they say is included in a subscription is hiding.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I'm not paying for anything. I'm just trying to figure out where this internet connection they say is included in a subscription is hiding.
I didn't mean you, just customers in general. I think its the hotspot you are referring to.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:04 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems to be a bit messy to me. I didn’t pay for it. Might make more sense on some of the Porsche non-sports-car offerings. Here’s a good recent/current thread going into it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9697...-services.html
Old 03-04-2018, 06:13 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Hang on. I didn't know that internet connectivity was INCLUDED. I'm doing it wrong, apparently. I still haven't gotten my head around the "connect" variants....

Here's what I think (might be wrong): for my 2017 911 "car connect" is the one with vehicle location tracking, remote lock, etc. That one has connectivity through vodafone using some sort of built-in SIM and there's a corresponding phone app (and an apple watch app). I like this one, I use it frequently to find out where the heck my wife is (have it on her Macan).

Then there's another service (which I also like for the online traffic) which you pay Porsche to utilize, but for this one to work after the 3 months free I ALSO had to buy an online data plan from AT&T still using the original (removable) SIM provided by Porsche. Moreover, I was never able to make the online map updates work without the Porsche AT&T SIM (e.g. failed to work using my home wifi).

There's another phone app and PCM feature also containing the word "connect", too, for syncing your calendar, planning a route, playing music, etc. but it was so terrible I uninstalled it.

Oh, and don't forget SiriusXM. So. I'm counting 4 different online services with their own fees that I have to pay if I want all of the above. What a mess.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Then, as stated above, you can connect your PCM to the internet via your phones’s hotspot. You can then search the Internet for locations and utilize google maps with traffic and street view.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Our 2016 Volvo XC60 has live traffic updates and other features for $90/year. It works beautifully here in the Bay Area, and has saved my better half a lot of time in traffic...especially this past weekend while she was in LA. You don't have to think about it, do a search, etc—you just plug in your destination and the car lets you know about options with time saved estimates and a YES/NO option to take the reroute.

I'd pay for live traffic synched with the NAV. Not sure I need satellite radio but it was nice while it lasted. Ditto for other connectivity.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

^ 4pipes...are you down to 2pipes? Did you install PSE, or did your car have it from Day 1? I remember that car while it was at Sonnen, but can't remember which exhaust it had.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:48 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Hee hee. Great catch. 4pipes came from my Ferrari and Corvette days! Haven’t had 4 for a while now. My car was ordered with PSE.

Quick Reply: Anyone here actually purchase a subscription for Porsche Connect +