Sponsored by:

Cellular data connection - Google Fi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
Is your car a 2017 or 2018? Because the system was changed for 2018 cars with the new embedding of a SIM card into the PCM. Whether it changed with the start of 2018 production, or sometime after that, I don't know.

For my 2017 Targa 4S, I could take out the ATT SIM card supplied at the time of delivery (and in fact I did) and I had no problem hooking up to my cell phone hotspot; I cancelled the ATT service and continued to use all Porsche Connect Services, as I previously had done. In my 2018 Targa 4 GTS, the ONLY SIM card in there is the embedded one and the car refused to connect to my Verizon iPhone hot spot (which continued to work fine in my 2017 Cayenne, at least until I totaled it.) The 2018 PCM even displayed a message that to connect to a hot spot for a data connection I had to remove the embedded SIM card. When hooked up to my hotspot in the 2017, I had full functionality of the PCM including real-time traffic.

In the 2018 Targa 4 GTS, I opted not to activate the Vodafone Telematics because I really didn't need remote access to my fuel level. However, I wanted to use Google Search and real-time traffic so I signed up for the year's free trial of Porsche Connect. This did NOT require the addition of an ATT SIM card; just activation by signing up for the trial. I presume these data come through the embedded SIM card. I cannot get the PCM to connect to my Verizon iPhone WiFi hot spot on my 2018 GTS as it did on my 2017 Targa 4S.
Sounds like this is Porsche's attempt at forcing people to buy their NAV & Infotainment subscription, if they want the services after the trial period. IOW you can't just make those services work using your phone as a data hotspot any longer starting with the 2018 MY. If the embedded sim card is the only way to provide data to the Connect Plus services, then it is the $189/year subscription to NAV & Infotainment Services or nothing after the trial period. That price in the Porsche Connect Store does say it includes an internet connection, which I assume means that embedded sim card.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
Phone contacts and streaming occur over Bluetooth; they're totally independent of a data connection. Only need the hardline connection for Apple CarPlay.

I don't think ATT users will be able to skip Porsche Connect, but I really don't know. My 2017 used an ATT sim card but when I took out the sim card it worked fine using my Verizon hot spot. You just can't connect the 2018s to your phone's hot spot; at least I couldn't figure out how and nobody could tell me.
thanks for the clarification and the advice.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Sounds like this is Porsche's attempt at forcing people to buy their NAV & Infotainment subscription, if they want the services after the trial period. IOW you can't just make those services work using your phone as a data hotspot any longer starting with the 2018 MY. If the embedded sim card is the only way to provide data to the Connect Plus services, then it is the $189/year subscription to NAV & Infotainment Services or nothing after the trial period. That price in the Porsche Connect Store does say it includes an internet connection, which I assume means that embedded sim card.
Exactly
Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I finally got my car added to the Connect Portal, and with it the activation code. All of the Connect services are now active in the car and the Google Fi data SIM is sending/receiving data from the car.

So to recap, I started out wondering if I could plug any cellular SIM in the car and use the data services. Google Fi is running on Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular, and their data-only SIMs are a great deal because you don’t pay a monthly fee for the SIM, you just pay for the data (up to 6GB, after that they don’t charge so my Pixel2, 2 iPads, and the Porsche are running on what is effectively an unlimited data plan for $80 a month.)

It works.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I finally got my car added to the Connect Portal, and with it the activation code. All of the Connect services are now active in the car and the Google Fi data SIM is sending/receiving data from the car.

So to recap, I started out wondering if I could plug any cellular SIM in the car and use the data services. Google Fi is running on Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular, and their data-only SIMs are a great deal because you don’t pay a monthly fee for the SIM, you just pay for the data (up to 6GB, after that they don’t charge so my Pixel2, 2 iPads, and the Porsche are running on what is effectively an unlimited data plan for $80 a month.)

It works.
I can confirm this setup works too. Just threw my Google Fi SIM into my 991.2. Typed in the APN and internet was working over WiFi in minutes.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jnolan
It works.
Great news! Now you get to be the resident expert on how to troubleshoot this
Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 AM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just visited the Google Fi website and can't seem to locate a data only plan. Can you help me with a link or instructions on how to avoid the $20.00 for Call and Texts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:19 AM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by eddiesudz
Just visited the Google Fi website and can't seem to locate a data only plan. Can you help me with a link or instructions on how to avoid the $20.00 for Call and Texts? Thanks in advance.
You can't .. you have to have at least one line with them, which had the minimum monthly as you call out. Once you have a line with them then you can add on the data only sim.

I have all my household cell service with them, so the minimum fee was already sunk, which made the data only sim even more beneficial.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 AM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
You can't .. you have to have at least one line with them, which had the minimum monthly as you call out. Once you have a line with them then you can add on the data only sim.

I have all my household cell service with them, so the minimum fee was already sunk, which made the data only sim even more beneficial.
Makes sense! I'll think about switching over. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have multiple data-only devices (I have ipads and now the car), getting Fi with a throwaway phone just to get access to the data-only SIMs makes sense. The flat monthly fee is just $20 for the first device, data after that is $10 per GB up to 60gb, after that they don’t charge you.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 PM
bohr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
I can confirm this setup works too. Just threw my Google Fi SIM into my 991.2. Typed in the APN and internet was working over WiFi in minutes.
@iphilips Could share the APN you typed in? I have a Google Fi data only sim and my 2017 Macan GTS shows me T-mobile APNs but I get no data through them and when I use the Google suggested "h2g2" I also get nothing. All of my Porsche Connect services work with my home wifi but the sim card and phone tethering don't. Curious how you got it working!
Old 03-23-2019, 02:04 AM
iphilips
Racer

My car is in the shop (roll bar and harness setup for this season of track days) otherwise I'd snap some pics for you. I use h2g2 as the APN.

​​​​​​Are you able to put the Fi SIM into a regular phone and see if it works just for data?

Quick Reply: Cellular data connection - Google Fi