Sponsored by:

991.2 Blendmount + MirrorTap - install pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 991.2 Blendmount + MirrorTap - install pics

Hey, thought I'd share some pics from my efforts today installing a BlendMount RD mount with a MirrorTap cable into a 2018 C2 991.2 (GTS).

I bought the
 BlendMount BMX-2021 BlendMount BMX-2021
and
MirrorTap MTX RJ11 MirrorTap MTX RJ11
off amazon. Make sure you get the right mount for your RD. The MirrorTap was just a little short at 15inches, I'd suggest getting the longer one and then taking care of any slack inside the light/mirror fixtures. All the photos are located in my https://rennlist.com/g/album/9200642.

Step 1 is to remove the lighting housing - pop a credit card or similar object between the headliner and the corner/edge (if you are sitting it's the edge closets to you). Pry the plastic part away from the roof and you will see a metal clip, see the pics, you want to depress this with the edge of your credit card so it will slide out. repeat on the other side. This will drop away the unit from the room and will hang.

Step 2 - You want to tap into the connector on the right (passenger side). I pulled the connector out of it's housing (the black clip) to make it easier to get my fingers in. You want to use the 2nd smallest tap - I used the small ones at first but they were too loose and would slip out when moving around. Make sure you route your RJ11 lead in first, heat shrink etc, before you tap into the connector. The black tap goes into the black wire and the red tap goes into the black/red wire (I'm color blind, so if you're not sure double check the physical positions and if you're still not sure put a power meter over it - the 12v is switched at that position.

Step 3 - Cable tie off the mirrortap to secure it, route the cables neatly, I chose to route between the headliner and the dome light, you can see it pop out the front, you could route it round the side by you may need a longer than 15inch cable. Pop the dome back in, attach the blendmount and connector cables and you're done.

Once I had all the parts, tools, and lighting setup in the car it took about 50 mins all up, taking my time, checking the ground/power tested, routing cables, etc. I'd put this in the easy bucket for installs, just take your time and be ready for fiddly little cables.

Enjoy

Ivan
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I installed the blendmount and bought the mirror tap but I heard from members on this forum that the power supply in the mirror stayed on after ignition cut off so I never installed it. Is this true? So then guys routed wires to their fuse box.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
19-kilo (04-06-2024), Mark Mullins (05-05-2020)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I installed the blendmount and bought the mirror tap but I heard from members on this forum that the power supply in the mirror stayed on after ignition cut off so I never installed it. Is this true? So then guys routed wires to their fuse box.
That's what I thought - Gordon gave me some advice saying that it was switched and would work. So I pulled the housing off and testing the power to the right (passenger) side blue connected, it is indeed switched. The RD powers up when i turn on the ignition and off when I turn it off.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Will this work for cars without auto-dimming mirrors?

Cheers, -Peter
Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I installed the MirrorTap in the same location for a dash cam and it is indeed switched. The camera turns off when the ignition is off.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
That's what I thought - Gordon gave me some advice saying that it was switched and would work. So I pulled the housing off and testing the power to the right (passenger) side blue connected, it is indeed switched. The RD powers up when i turn on the ignition and off when I turn it off.
Originally Posted by Mr. Big
I installed the MirrorTap in the same location for a dash cam and it is indeed switched. The camera turns off when the ignition is off.
Thanks guys. I will try it.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Connor Flynt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PLom

Cheers, -Peter
I am wondering the same thing. I do not have the auto-dimming mirror so I'm wondering if I need to wire to the fuse box or if the mirror tap is still an option with power going to the lights/garage door opener buttons just aft of the mirror. Anyone know the answer?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I had mine run to the fuse box, the installer said sometimes there is not enough power at the mirror.
Eric
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Angry No switched power without auto-dimming mirrors

Originally Posted by PLom

Cheers, -Peter
I can now answer my own question - it does not work with switched power for a car without auto-dimming mirrors (2018 991.2 C2) . The right side blue connector shown in Ivan's pictures is not there. There is indeed always-on power in the homelink/cabin light console, and it's relatively easy to tap into as described his excellent tutorial, but you have to switch the RD off manually when you leave the car. Not ideal, but I will try it for a few days and see how it goes. For switched power you probably have to go to the fuse panel.

Cheers, -Peter
The following users liked this post:
19-kilo (04-06-2024)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:13 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I did the Go.Illini 991.1 system and it works great on my 991.2
Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goldduster
I did the Go.Illini 991.1 system and it works great on my 991.2
Yes - that is also an excellent tutorial, however the yellow right connector (it's blue in Ivan's pictures) is not there on my 2018 991.2 C2 (no auto-dimming mirrors - I'm assuming), so no cigar.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Plom, You're right, I think both the female and male connector parts are yellow in my car, but I was so busy looking for the blue and brown wires that I didn't think about anything else.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
Hey, thought I'd share some pics from my efforts today installing a BlendMount RD mount with a MirrorTap cable into a 2018 C2 991.2 (GTS).

I bought the BlendMount BMX-2021 and MirrorTap MTX RJ11 off amazon. Make sure you get the right mount for your RD. The MirrorTap was just a little short at 15inches, I'd suggest getting the longer one and then taking care of any slack inside the light/mirror fixtures. All the photos are located in my gallery.

Step 1 is to remove the lighting housing - pop a credit card or similar object between the headliner and the corner/edge (if you are sitting it's the edge closets to you). Pry the plastic part away from the roof and you will see a metal clip, see the pics, you want to depress this with the edge of your credit card so it will slide out. repeat on the other side. This will drop away the unit from the room and will hang.

Step 2 - You want to tap into the connector on the right (passenger side). I pulled the connector out of it's housing (the black clip) to make it easier to get my fingers in. You want to use the 2nd smallest tap - I used the small ones at first but they were too loose and would slip out when moving around. Make sure you route your RJ11 lead in first, heat shrink etc, before you tap into the connector. The black tap goes into the black wire and the red tap goes into the black/red wire (I'm color blind, so if you're not sure double check the physical positions and if you're still not sure put a power meter over it - the 12v is switched at that position.

Step 3 - Cable tie off the mirrortap to secure it, route the cables neatly, I chose to route between the headliner and the dome light, you can see it pop out the front, you could route it round the side by you may need a longer than 15inch cable. Pop the dome back in, attach the blendmount and connector cables and you're done.

Once I had all the parts, tools, and lighting setup in the car it took about 50 mins all up, taking my time, checking the ground/power tested, routing cables, etc. I'd put this in the easy bucket for installs, just take your time and be ready for fiddly little cables.

Enjoy

Ivan
Thank you - it was a very quick install - and the mirror tap + blendmount in the GT3 was pretty darn simple. Really the only hard part is the CC to the light panel...
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I had mine run to the fuse box, the installer said sometimes there is not enough power at the mirror.
Eric
plenty of power at the mirror. I did mine months ago on my 2017 991.2 C2S.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Blendmount & Wiretap Today

Did my 991.2 Targa 4S today. The narrative and pictures were extremely helpful! The rear view mirror on Targas are just a little bit different, but the blue connector was there, and the same blue and brown wires. All worked well! Thank you to everyone!!!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Blendmount + MirrorTap - install pics