Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm Up & Cool Down - 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You mean it’s got a flat torque line from about 1700. It’s still lugging the engine when you give it WOT at very low RPM in high gears.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:43 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

This tread brings me to a somewhat unrelated question: when the auto start/stop is activated, and when engine stops for instance at a traffic light, does it also stop the circulation of oil? And if yes, wouldn't this be harmful especially for turbo charged engines?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by siitech
This tread brings me to a somewhat unrelated question: when the auto start/stop is activated, and when engine stops for instance at a traffic light, does it also stop the circulation of oil? And if yes, wouldn't this be harmful especially for turbo charged engines?
Great question..... don't know the answer but the fear of a shorter life of the turbos because of a sudden lack of lubrication and cooling is the reason why I always turn off auto start/stop.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
You mean it’s got a flat torque line from about 1700. It’s still lugging the engine when you give it WOT at very low RPM in high gears.
To achieve full torque at 1700 rpm requires full boost, which means holding full throttle for several seconds. If that were harmful to the engine, presumably the engine management system would not allow that condition (which it could easily limit since boost is electronically controlled). In which case, Porsche would not claim full torque at 1700.

Am I missing something, or have the parameters of lugging changing since the days of the Fuhrmann engine?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:29 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It’s not about Porsche torque claims, it’s about putting stress on transmission and engine.
I dont think you’re going to destroy your car or engine.
But the fact that the car “allows” you to do certain things doesn’t mean it’s wise or that it cannot be harmful or it’s better to be avoided.

Dont take my word for it. I had not seen this article or video before but google is your friend.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ad-for-engine/
Old 02-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
It’s not about Porsche torque claims, it’s about putting stress on transmission and engine.
I dont think you’re going to destroy your car or engine.
But the fact that the car “allows” you to do certain things doesn’t mean it’s wise or that it cannot be harmful or it’s better to be avoided.

Dont take my word for it. I had not seen this article or video before but google is your friend.

I'm sorry but this is the blind leading the blind. The notion that using full throttle at low rpm is somehow "Inefficient" is the exact opposite of reality. Low rpm has less friction and full throttle reduces pumping losses, both effects making the engine more efficient. That's why modern cars have multispeed transmissions to keep their engines at low rpm on the highway. And they have turbos to produce sufficient torque at low rpm to avoid the need for frequent downshifts. If you think running at high rpm and light load is more efficient, try driving across the country in fourth gear and see what your mileage looks like.

The same for this obsession with pre-ignition. Modern engines that are not worn out aren't full of oily blow-by and glowing particles of carbon. They are simply not subject to pre-ignition. Turbocharged engines are, of course, always susceptible to detonation, which is something completely different and definitely potentially harmful. That's why modern engines have knock sensors that detect the earliest signs of detention and retard spark timing, reduce boost, and/or richen the mixture in order to stop it quickly.

In this litany of nonsense, nobody discussed the only genuine potential problem with the combination of high load and low rpm. That's damage to the main and rod bearings that could occur when the combustion loads on these components exceed the hydrodynamic pressure of the oil film, which is weakest at low rpm. This would cause the bearing shells to physically contact the crank journals and that would cause undesirable wear, or worse. However, I would expect that Porsche engineers thought about this when designing their engines and made sure this wasn't a problem.

In any case, there's no doubt that for maximum acceleration, one needs high rpm and low gear. But for moderate acceleration, full throttle in an upper gear is often sufficient. I have no doubt that a 991.2 engine can't possible be adversely affected t by full throttle at 2000 rpm. I'm pretty confident about 1500 rpm as well. 1000 rpm might be a different matter--but then the engine can't make much boost at that rotational speed so perhaps that's also OK.
The following 2 users liked this post by Valvefloat991:
DR911s (05-10-2023), PorscheRob23 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:55 AM
SpinDoctorMario
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. Recently moved from a 2017 Cayman 718 Base to a same year 911 Carrera S. Literally the day before my planned trade-in pick up I took the 718 for a spirited drive (although it was still in suburbia, so didn't see much harder than I've pushed any other car over the years, including Audi, BMW, etc.), and on my return trip home it started blowing gray/white smoke like I had lit a smoke grenade while taking enemy fire. After making it home, having cleared out some two lanes of traffic behind me along the way, I noted oil dripping from the tailpipes. Thankfully, as the 718 was still under warranty, the dealer took it in trade anyway without any hassles. Turns out the turbo had started sucking oil into the engine. However, this gave me a bit of PTSD, and I've since been nervous to drive the 911 aggressively at all (it still has a few months of warranty left, and I plan to buy the extended Porsche warranty unless someone here suggests something else that makes more sense). It's only been a couple of weeks, but trying to make sure that nothing I did in my last 718 drive contributed to or caused this, so I don't end up with a costly repair on the 911.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

For turbo charged engines, lugging is bad. Lugging the engine will depend on the gear but as key takeaway, don’t drive near or below 1000rpm. In 2nd and 3rd, don’t go below 1300 rpm, in higher gears stay north of 1500-1800 rpm. Personally since I have a manual, I prefer to stay north of 2500 rpm, engine noise is not too loud for cruising and still have good up and go.

Last edited by Norge911; 01-23-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Warm Up & Cool Down - 991.2