Sponsored by:

Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
Who does that? I just buy new tires. Not worth my time having to dismount the tire from the rim in order to balance a directional tire. To each its own!
My Michelin's weren't directional.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:20 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't understand all these center lock hate. I can actually remove the wheels faster with center lock than 5 lugs. If you have helper to hit the brake it is breeze. We don't have spare on these cars anyway I don't see huge problem. See my avatar my wife is unlocking center lock with one finger.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ddolbi
I don't understand all these center lock hate. I can actually remove the wheels faster with center lock than 5 lugs. If you have helper to hit the brake it is breeze. We don't have spare on these cars anyway I don't see huge problem. See my avatar my wife is unlocking center lock with one finger.
It's just the fact that you need big heavy specialized tools and extra effort and care for absolutely no benefit whatsoever except the subjective appeal of the look. It's completely counter-intuitive on cars meant for track use.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
It's just the fact that you need big heavy specialized tools and extra effort and care for absolutely no benefit whatsoever except the subjective appeal of the look. It's completely counter-intuitive on cars meant for track use.
I don't see a large torque wrench as a special tool. There is no performance benefit but I think look and uniqueness are worth little more effort. Maybe my experience is different from other owners but for me it's quite fun and actually faster to deal with center locks so far. Only problem is there are not many places can deal with these wheels. I have a torque multiflier and I just take it in the frunk for a long trip.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I too bought the Precision Instruments 3/4" Torque Wrench and Breaker Bar combo. Easy peasy to be honest. I broke the torque with the car on the ground and had my son (with the engine running) press the brake when re-torquing the front ones. Apply a little bit of Aluminum Grease on latex gloves and voila.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

I bought a brake pedal depressor on Amazon. I suppose that’s a step that I didn’t have to do with five lug wheels, but it’s no big deal. It makes the wheel change much easier.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but can't you just use an air gun to take them off and on?

-TJ
Old 02-26-2018, 08:48 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Forgive my ignorance, but can't you just use an air gun to take them off and on?

-TJ
I wish we could use Air gun...I was hoping with CL one could do this....but No!!! not with "retail" version of CLs by Porsche.

Always wanted an Air gun to change tires, heck I would just time myself in my garage on how fast I could change all tires and even get my family onboard and be like pit crew on changing tires super fast for fun. That fun is reserved for cup cars only.

Street legal cars get the cosmetic version only

Just like in this commercial - I Do Not see Torque Wrench at all - I want these tools used on this GT3RS

Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

No way an average pit crew human is strong enough to counter 453 ft lbs of torque. This is BS. The tool that the factory use has a protruding arm that catches one of the spokes to provide the counter to the torque entry. That's what I want!!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
sverduzco
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

given my preferred dealer is 308 miles away and it doesn't have five lugs. this would be mine if i was in the market...https://isringhausen.porschedealer.c...tallic+1546993
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a 2012 GTS with CL’s...I’m a track guy and due to all the steps and that dang Center lock grease that must be used each time...I learned to really HATE these street center locks. My track friends would swap 4 regular 5 lug wheels in the time it took me to barley finish 2 Center locks. Just an aweful experience.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:20 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

5-lug wheels were one of must have options when buying my GTS.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:07 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
No way an average pit crew human is strong enough to counter 453 ft lbs of torque. This is BS. The tool that the factory use has a protruding arm that catches one of the spokes to provide the counter to the torque entry. That's what I want!!!!
It’s an impact driver. You don’t need much to stop the wheel spinning. Regardless, the driver probably had his foot on the brake. I have a 3/4in drive impact gun, but it is 1200 ft/lbs. probably ok for off, but putting it on would be a bad idea as it is 700 ft/lbs.

and its cordless.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a GTS and a GT3 with CL wheels. Hate them! To change tires:

Pop off cap. Jack car. Put someone behind wheel, stomp on brake. Use monster bar to break wheel loose. Remove wheel, change tire. Lube up the splines (heavily) and cones (lightly) with the world's messiest grease. Install wheel. Torque to 440 (IIRC) lb-ft. Back off torque wrench 90 degrees, then repeat. Fiddle with hub core until it pops out flush with end of splines. Good luck getting that to work on first try! Reinstall cap.

Whew. One wheel done, 3 more to go. What a freaking pain. I suppose if car was street only, and tiers last a long time, fine. If you track, and go through oh, 3 or 4 sets of tires in a year - that's a LOT of hassle. Not to mention that you have to stand over the guy at the tire shop to make he does it right.

And don't count on the dealer getting it right. On more than one occasion, direct from the dealer, I've discovered the hub core wasn't fully extended and so the wheel was NOT properly attached. I always check at the track to make sure they're all in the proper position.

Or - five bolts. A normal torque wrench will work. Recheck torque at track. WINNER. WINNER. WINNER.

DMoore
'15 GT3
registered CL hater
Old 02-27-2018, 03:00 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

CL's look a lot nicer.... I'm willing to put up with the small hassle. I think that if one was set up properly it wouldn't be much of a hindrance on the track.. :P

Quick Reply: Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels