Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a new 911 if the the closest dealer was 150 miles away?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
New Porsche’s tend to be low maintenance. Oil changes if the car is not beat to death can be done every 8-10k miles. Recall stuff not super important can be done at oil change intervals. Also big factor, are you flexible enough to give up a day now and then to sit in the usually nice service area of a dealership. Again these cars are really dependable.
One last thing to consider. When my son was young and I was a single dad thinking of getting back into a sports car we looked at several S2000, BMW etc... In the end he said” Dad at the end of the day after working hard to make sure my brother and I are ok and doing well do you want to look in the garage to admire your Honda or your PORSCHE. I think he was really looking ahead to driving it some day. None the less if you are one of the people who has worked hard in life to have the privilege to drive one of these cars. GO FOR IT.
yup. Drive one and you will be hooked.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dealer will not transport the car for free both ways for services, I would not get it. Imagine that you got a lemon with rattles, you will have to bring it in often to a dealer far away everytime or have to pay lots of transport $$. Time is money if you are busy!!

Can someone here hook him up a good deal on transport?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would not let that worry me. I visit the dealer once a year, never earlier.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:23 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by mjj
I am going to buy a new fun car in the next couple of weeks. I really want to buy a 911. I live in a rural state. My closest Porsche dealer is about 150 miles away from home. I am concerned about the logistics & time requirement of getting the car serviced. Would you buy a Porsche or just stick to brands that could be serviced locally? I have access to most other brands except Porsche and the true exotics.

Like many of you, I have a very demanding job and a family so my free time is limited. If I stick to local dealers my secondary options would likely be an Acura NSX or Nissan GTR. Merc's and BMW don't interest me.

Thanks for the feedback.

MJJ
I did, with a couple of caveats and maybe some wishful (or at least hopeful) thinking.

My nearest dealer is more than 200 miles away, and my "preferred" dealer is more than 300 miles. Admittedly, I am largely retired, and so have a bit more schedule flexibility. And I have long repaired and rebuilt my own vehicles, and expect that I can handle some minor problems and routine service. I did contact the service department at the dealer 300 miles away, and they confirmed that for any warranty issues that make the car undriveable, they will take care of transportation.

Another way to look at it: I spend 95% of my time driving in areas where many owners will be on vacation or other longer distance tours. If you never want to venture more than an hour from a dealership, then none of cool cars available today are sensible.

One thing I did do, was to add an offical collapsable spare tire and jack kit, since not only do I live far from dealers, but many fun roads are out of cell phone coverage.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a Corvette. There's a Chevy dealer on every street corner and you can fix it with a hammer.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yes. A distance you hopefully have to drive only once a year, for driving perfection and presumably a rare car for your area. Sure! I drive 300 miles on a nice one-day jaunt into the Hill Country sometimes.

Make a nice road trip of it and take your wife to the big city. Regardless of how busy you think you are, certainly once a year you both deserve a special trip. I'd bet under the circumstances your dealership would make a special effort to get the car done within the day for you.

It would be an easy call for me, but now I know what I'd be missing if I passed up driving a Porsche.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:55 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes. Extra fun driving there once a year.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

MJJ. I also live in Des Moines. I have bought three different Porsche's from Woodhouse in Omaha. I negotiated a trailering package as part of the price of the car. I think it sells for $700-$800 for three round trips otherwise. Anyone that runs a business knows that the real cost of a single round trip delivery is closer to $500, so they are subsidizing these packages. I sometimes have my oil changed locally to not waste my quota of round trips. They are a good dealership to work with. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you asked the dealer how they handle long-distance relationships? My hunch is they’ve got it covered. There’s a million people living around Pittsburgh and Sewickley Car Store happily fetches 911’s and such that live 2 hours away.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM
mjj
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks to all for their feedback. It gives me plenty to consider. I will be making a few calls to understand the process and pricing of transport from the various dealers.

Regards
Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mjj
Thanks to all for their feedback. It gives me plenty to consider. I will be making a few calls to understand the process and pricing of transport from the various dealers.

Regards
mjj - Des Moines has a very active Porsche Club and as you have seen (I am sure) an ever increasing number of Porsches covering models from old to new. Yes, Woodhouse is the closest dealer, but it is not an issue at all. They do have outstanding and flexible service department and if your car needs just routine maintenance, you can just drive there in the am, jump in a loaner and spend the day exploring and enjoying Omaha before driving back in the afternoon. Or make it a staycation with an overnight going out to a nice dinner or catching a show. Woodhouse also offers transport options for your car. In addition, there is a few options to service your car locally. If you are looking to buy a new or a newer model, the trip to Omaha would most likely be just a once a year so deal. I am also sending you a private message to contact me - would love to talk to you into getting a Porsche. You will NEVER regret it if you do so. Check you r Private message on the top right corner...Also, here is our Porsche Club website: Schonesland Porsche Club (Central IA) The club has great activities and an awesome group of people with active attendance at many great events throughout the year. The best bunch of people you ever met!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
MJJ. I also live in Des Moines. I have bought three different Porsche's from Woodhouse in Omaha. I negotiated a trailering package as part of the price of the car. I think it sells for $700-$800 for three round trips otherwise. Anyone that runs a business knows that the real cost of a single round trip delivery is closer to $500, so they are subsidizing these packages. I sometimes have my oil changed locally to not waste my quota of round trips. They are a good dealership to work with. Good luck.
When I lived in Lincoln NE I bought a new 09C4S from Woodhouse. At the time they were offering for 500 a flatbed/trailering package. Back then they didn't have a limit on number of trips as long as it was warranty or regular maintenance but it was for three years, if I recall correctly. They lost money on that deal but it was great for me since I had a pesky warranty issue that required four trips to fix in addition to the two yearly service visits. I had a great experience with Woodhouse.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 PM
adamlittman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too live in Des Moines, have owned several different generations of 911's and have had no problem getting any of them serviced in area or at the dealer. Woodhouse has given me loaners at no charge( 0 mile Panemera s hybrid for 2 weeks) and they will meet halfway for a vehicle exchange. Owning a 911 in 50265 is only as limiting as you will allow it to be. Shammerman mentioned club events above, with a great group of folks here in DM. I recognize a couple others here from GPR PCA, another great group of folks as well. GPR hosts some fun track events at RPM. Schones meetups include drive and dine, cars and coffee, and a few weekend drives.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 911

Do the 911. If your really that busy have someone valet it once a year. I would NEVER get minor services performed at stealership anyway as they will rip you off. Not sure how reliable the new turbo platform is gonna be but the .1's don't need much.

i know it is as fast around a track but to me the GTR drives like a rental car. The NSX is a neat bit of kit and will probably hold value well.

QUOTE=mjj;14825822]I am going to buy a new fun car in the next couple of weeks. I really want to buy a 911. I live in a rural state. My closest Porsche dealer is about 150 miles away from home. I am concerned about the logistics & time requirement of getting the car serviced. Would you buy a Porsche or just stick to brands that could be serviced locally? I have access to most other brands except Porsche and the true exotics.

Like many of you, I have a very demanding job and a family so my free time is limited. If I stick to local dealers my secondary options would likely be an Acura NSX or Nissan GTR. Merc's and BMW don't interest me.

Thanks for the feedback.

MJJ[/QUOTE]
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Any of the other IA 911 owners have any experience/comments re the P-dealership (Lujacks) in Davenport? They are one of those mega -dealerships that also sell 10 brands incl Kias, Hondas, Mercs , Lexus, etc

Quick Reply: Would you buy a new 911 if the the closest dealer was 150 miles away?