Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline 991.2 Carrera Grill Screens Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I hope that someone will make a product for the 991.2 Carrera/S/4/4S/T that is down this road—preferably mimicking the GT4/GT3 look and material and doing away with all three "slat" setups in the stock bumper. My suspicion is that the 991.2's nose will get MUCH cleaner and more sporting with such grilles. The slats are very busy, and distract from the clean design of one of the best looking 991 bumpers...
If you're willing to throw away the aerodynamic and temperature regulation benefits of the movable slats.

If the screens were in front of the slats, they would be barely visible in any case.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
If you're willing to throw away the aerodynamic and temperature regulation benefits of the movable slats.

If the screens were in front of the slats, they would be barely visible in any case.
Porsche, like other manufacturers, clearly likes to run engines hot these days—most likely for emissions. You could watch my GT4 drop 20-30° F for coolant/oil temps by pressing the Sport button...repeatable every time.

As for the 991.2 Carrera, it runs a bit hotter than I'd like (though nothing that worries me)...and the more powerful/higher boost 991.2 Carrera GTS does without moveable slats...

Hear you on the barely visible, but the details are my bag. Believe me, I sometimes wish they weren't...

Last edited by stout; 07-12-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Porsche, like other manufacturers, clearly likes to run engines hot these days—most likely for emissions. You could watch my GT4 drop 20-30° F for coolant/oil temps by pressing the Sport button...repeatable every time.

As for the 991.2 Carrera, it runs a bit hotter than I'd like (though nothing that worries me)...and the more powerful/higher boost 991.2 Carrera GTS does without moveable slats...

Hear you on the barely visible, but the details are my bag. Believe me, I sometimes wish they weren't...
You're right that the cars run hot in normal driving--around 220 degrees water temp--but that does no harm. And the temp does come down when you start exploiting the power, or select sport mode.

The aero slats, however do close at highway speeds to reduce aero drag and improve fuel efficiency I suspect they also close when the engine is cold to promote faster warm-up--good for fuel efficiency and also reduced engine wear.

The GTS dispenses with these benefits, given that it's the most sportingof the Carreras And it probably saves a pound or two in the process.

We all have our detail gripes and I don't begrudge you yours. Mine are more related to accurate instruments. I wish the speedometer was right on the money and that the water and oil temperature gauges were not dumbed downand providing correct readings.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

I suppose the attached is open to interpretation, but mine is that while in SPORT or SPORT+, the "active air intake flaps" are always open. So in my case, that means they are never closed.

DaveGee
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Bummer. While I like the idea of the added protection, I was hoping Rennline would offer a way to delete the shutters on the 991.2 Carrera/S/T, which would really clean up a great looking 991 front bumper but for its fussy slats (as seen below).

Thanks for the response, however, and thank you for continuing to serve the Porsche community with products I know people appreciate.

This looks Epic. I would be in for a group buy. I want a centre one, as I have the big ball camera (active cruise control) and I want the third radiator.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
This looks Epic. I would be in for a group buy. I want a centre one, as I have the big ball camera (active cruise control) and I want the third radiator.
Wish someone would take my money already. I'll buy two sets, so long as their frames/integration look factory.

Would love to have the wheels in that illo as well. Funny thing is the fronts already exist. Just need the rears in NB offsets. I suppose they could be milled from a forging, but the money gets goofy.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:47 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

As an added point of info on cooling, i should mention that on track during dealer's customer appreciation day at Autobahn Country Club, playing follow the leader (a PCNA driving instructor in a Macan S), my 2015 991.1 C2S would consistently peak at 235-238°F oil temperature in Sport+. In the same exercises in my 991.2 C2S, my oil temperature peaked at 205-208°F.
Nuff said.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Wish someone would take my money already. I'll buy two sets, so long as their frames/integration look factory.

Would love to have the wheels in that illo as well. Funny thing is the fronts already exist. Just need the rears in NB offsets. I suppose they could be milled from a forging, but the money gets goofy.
Yup, I want those wheels, too.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Still working on my home made grill screens, but I did mount them with "temporary" racer safety wire and have been driving around for a couple of months. I do like the look, and what I presume are reduced junk entering the intakes. I have to get motivated and remove the front bumper cover again and figure out a more elegant way to attach the screens.

The following users liked this post:
ZerOG (08-26-2019)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ Nice work—I admire your bravery/ingenuity. Your last pic tells me the 991.2 Carrera/T/S bumper might be my favorite of all 991 front ends without those slats. Add the Sport PASM lip and it really would pick up the aggression and intent seen on the 918 and 997.2 GT3 while retaining the simplicity that's gone missing from many of the bumpers for special models.

Suspect the trick is either having plastic frames manufactured, or somehow modding the frames for the vents—which of course would destroy the vents. Not for the faint of heart...which I include myself in, in this case!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

^ Nice work—I admire your bravery/ingenuity. Your last pic tells me the 991.2 Carrera/T/S bumper might be my favorite of all 991 front ends without those slats. Add the Sport PASM lip and it really would pick up the aggression and intent seen on the 918 and 997.2 GT3 while retaining the simplicity that's gone missing from many of the bumpers for special models.

Suspect the trick is either having plastic frames manufactured, or somehow modding the frames for the vents—which of course would destroy the vents. Not for the faint of heart...which I include myself in, in this case!
It would be possible to make the plastic frames with a 3D printer at reasonable cost. The real effort would be in creating an accurate drawing for the frames.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Me too...me too. Those slats really bother me and I would love to get something on the outside of them. I'm in if someone makes this!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

BKrantz count me in too please. I want to be able to remove them to clean off any crud that gets around them without removing the front bumper. And I love the look Pete posted.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Randall 991.2
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

On a 991.1 GTS, is there a way to mount the grills at the very front of the intakes (In front of the laterally mounted fins) ? I like the way the intake grills on the GT3 look, and was wondering how close to that look was possible. With the current mounting solution, the grills are so far back they kind off disappear. Which is a shame.

I used this method which attaches from the front. Not exactly GT3 style, but simple to install.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Randall 991.2
I used this method which attaches from the front. Not exactly GT3 style, but simple to install.
Nice job. Looks great.

Are those the Rennline grills though ? The other brand (that snaps on, and I can’t remember their name) seem to have regular fitment issues. Some of them look awful , and some people have sent them back. Yours look excellent.

If they’re Rennline, how did you fix them in front of the vanes ?

Quick Reply: Rennline 991.2 Carrera Grill Screens Now Available!!