Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline 991.2 Carrera Grill Screens Now Available!!

Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rennline 991.2 Carrera Grill Screens Now Available!!

The wait is finally over!
We just had our first batch of 991.2 Carrera grill screens roll off of the production line! This means we now have screens available for every variation of the 991.2 including those with Active Grill Shutter Controls. And you can order them here!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Any chance you'll be doing a version that replaces the active grill shutters? The thing I like least about my 991.2 visually is the grill slats across the three openings—the nose would be so much cleaner, and the fact that the GTS does without them suggests the 3.0 will be just fine without them.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

The car will do fine without them, other than slightly lower highway fuel economy. They exist, as all such shutters do, to reduce the aerodynamic drag when cooling requirements are low. At 80 mph, a 991.2 probably only needs 30-35 hp to maintain speed. At less than ten percent of peak output, the engine's cooling requirements are pretty low.

If you hate the grill shutters, you can probably remove them--and save a pound or two in the process, though you might get a warning light.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

This is timely as I pick up my C2S tomorrow. Do you have a center grill option for the adaptive cruise?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
This is timely as I pick up my C2S tomorrow. Do you have a center grill option for the adaptive cruise?
Good timing! This kit will work with ACC but you will need to cut out an opening right behind the ACC unit. This can be done with a basic pair of scissors! .

Originally Posted by stout
Any chance you'll be doing a version that replaces the active grill shutters? The thing I like least about my 991.2 visually is the grill slats across the three openings—the nose would be so much cleaner, and the fact that the GTS does without them suggests the 3.0 will be just fine without them.
Sorry we do not have a kit to eliminate the Active shutters on the 991.2!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 193 Posts

Love mine on my GTS.( Looks OEM) Wayyy better then ZunSports
Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Love mine on my GTS.( Looks OEM) Wayyy better then ZunSports
Glad you like them!!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
Glad you like them!!
On a 991.1 GTS, is there a way to mount the grills at the very front of the intakes (In front of the laterally mounted fins) ? I like the way the intake grills on the GT3 look, and was wondering how close to that look was possible. With the current mounting solution, the grills are so far back they kind off disappear. Which is a shame.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Benedict14

On a 991.1 GTS, is there a way to mount the grills at the very front of the intakes (In front of the laterally mounted fins) ? I like the way the intake grills on the GT3 look, and was wondering how close to that look was possible. With the current mounting solution, the grills are so far back they kind off disappear. Which is a shame.

Our screens attach to the back of the trim that incorporates those lateral fins so it is necessary for the screens to sit behind them. We found this provides the strongest mounting location with no visible hardware. That being said, I know a few people have mentioned modifying/cutting these fins to achieve a similar look to what you describe, albeit set a little further back-
Old 02-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also just a reminder for you guys, the free shipping over $100 sale is ending today so if you already plan on ordering, doing it now will save you a few $$
Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
Sorry we do not have a kit to eliminate the Active shutters on the 991.2!
Bummer. While I like the idea of the added protection, I was hoping Rennline would offer a way to delete the shutters on the 991.2 Carrera/S/T, which would really clean up a great looking 991 front bumper but for its fussy slats (as seen below).

Thanks for the response, however, and thank you for continuing to serve the Porsche community with products I know people appreciate.

Last edited by stout; 02-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (07-13-2020)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:07 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that design Pete, quality from 000

Cheers, -Peter
Old 03-11-2018, 12:36 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed these on my 2017 base 991.2 with active shutters. Overall this product is solid and will provide good protection from debris. Their are some installation "gotchas" that I ran into:
  1. The instructions refer to installing the grills only, you will need to google how to remove the front bumper. There is a video on the RENNLINE site, but I think it is for a 991.1 car.
  2. The instructions say the headlights do not need to be removed. This is correct, but only if you do not want to completely remove the bumper. You can leave the headlight washer supply hose and electrical connected on the drivers side and rotate the bumper out of the way to work on the grills. I preferred to completely remove the bumper for cleaning. If you do this, you WILL need to remove the left front headlight to disconnect the headlight washer hose.
  3. To remove the headlights, you will need a ratcheting 10mm box end wrench. The headlights on the 991.2 no longer have the tool you insert thru the frunk and rotate to release. The headlights have two rubber mounted bolts on the underside of the lights that slide into some channels and are tightened from below. The area to loosen the nuts is so tight, the open ended 10mm wrench supplied with the car is useless.
  4. I trimmed about 1/4" from the edges of the mesh grill. I wanted to have a gap between the outer rough edge of the mesh and the radiator to make sure there would be no rubbing and possible damage to the radiator. (just my OCD!)
  5. To get to the electrical connections that are under the headlight buckets, you need to loosen all 5 screws holding the front half of the inner wheel well liner. You need to reach in a good ways to disconnect the electrical, unless you have VERY tiny hands, you will need a lot of room. (Again, I removed the right front headlight to have better access to the connectors)
  6. I used my quick-lift, this could have been done without raising the car, but again, you need to be good in tight spaces. I did leave the front wheels on, but in hindsight, removing them would have been helpful.
  7. All-in-all, I am pleased with the product, allow yourself an extra hour or two if this is your first bumper removal.

EDIT: Removing the front wheels and the front half of the inner fender liner is the way to go, no need to remove headlights. See this post from bkrantz >> https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html

I have attached some pics:

Last edited by shaginwagon; 03-12-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Carlos Moro (07-08-2020)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

great pics and description. Thanks for posting
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Whoops, I forgot the finished picture.

Carlos Moro (07-08-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennline 991.2 Carrera Grill Screens Now Available!!