991 Ducktail Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Keefer
I've got a Question on this install:

I received the spoiler, along with a bunch of other parts from Suncoast for this. 2 support plates, one for the duck and then one for new vent slats?? In the box was additional rear vent slats as well as a block-off for the 3rd brake light. I called SunCoast to inquire as to why it came with all the extra parts and the guy claimed it was supposed to come with it but also wasn't very convincing. Has anyone else run into this? The main reason I ask is because I'm not quite sure what needs to be replaced and what doesn't at this point. I've read the porsche step by step which really isn't anything to brag about. I have hte wiring harnesses, which I expected to get, but the rest has me a little confused as there really isn't any mention of the slats from everything I've read.

TIA for any answers on this.
The extra deck lid slats are included it not needed unless you have a GTS model. For some reason Porsche says the GTS deck lid grill doesn't work with the duck tail from an aerodynamic standpoint.

Cman21
Old 10-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Chris Keefer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2022, 08:35 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by PSGA4
Update...
It's a weird one but my high level brake light warning was due to the pins on the Porsche supplied wiring harness for the ducktail that came with the kit not matching the pins on the main body harness to which it connects.
Fortunately I work in an industry along side Avionic tech's who had a look and metered all the pins and outputs and it was pretty obvious where the issue lay. Both Porsche harnesses that are included in the kit, one for a coupe and one for a cabriolet where pinned incorrectly. When the harness was connected to the body side the #8 red/black wire in the DT harness matched against a blank spot in the connector on the body side. Those connectors are tricky to take apart without breaking the locking tabs. Fortunately I had the spare cabriolet one to play with before trying to do the same on my installed harness. With a bit of finesse and of course the expertise of my co-worker, we changed the pins to correlate with the body harness side, metered the outputs and bingo, the brake light worked.
Don't understand why they didn't match but it's all sorted out and just took a little bit of digging around from the right guy to figure it out pretty quick.
Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.
Running into this in my car. Looks like I need to move the pins on the ducktail harness from pin 8 to pin 4 to get the brake lights working. Also looks like the DT harness uses a wide pin, whereas the body side uses a narrow pin, so the pin itself needs to be changed too.

From what I can see here... it is part number 1J0973837 for the connector, and I need to go from a 2.8mm terminal to a 1.5mm terminal.

I think I am going to buy this connector as practice, plus it will give me plenty of pins and boots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264972511764

1 x Connector Housing
8 x 1.5mm Terminals
8 x 1.5mm Wire Seals
6 x 2.8mm Terminals
6 x 2.8mm Wire Seals

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 06-04-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:01 PM
dbrowngt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Most important thing is to make sure you take the spoiler to a good paint shop. You can easily install the spoiler yourself if you're a DIY kind of guy. The most difficult part of installing the spoiler is attaching and routing the wires to the appropriate spots on the spoiler. Everything else is super simple using the instructions provided by a fellow RL Plenum. Otherwise take it to the dealer to have it installed and programmed. Shouldn't take them more than 2-3 hours to do everything.

Porsche recommends you spend the $200 for the module (and another $300 for install) as well as a new front Sport Design bumper. I personally don't like the front SD bumper. There have been countless discussions on whether you should follow the book regarding the moonroof module. It's up to you and how picky you are. I'm super picky and even I didn't get the module. Just keep the sunroof closed if you're going over 100mph. Who leaves the moonroof open at that speed anyways? If airflow is important to you, keep all windows and moonroof closed at high speed.

Good luck I love my duck tail!
Does anyone have the instructions shared by @plenum ? My ducktail was delivered today and it would be great to have a reference document for the install.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrowngt
Does anyone have the instructions shared by @plenum ? My ducktail was delivered today and it would be great to have a reference document for the install.
This one?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41...qcagk4Rt9u4Yeg
Old 12-23-2022, 06:08 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 81 Posts

here is the guide I used that was pretty easy to follow:

https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...ll%20instr.pdf
Old 12-23-2022, 06:10 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 81 Posts

Old 12-23-2022, 06:21 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy515

YES this is the one I was looking for, for the OP

Quick Reply: 991 Ducktail Install Questions