Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Ugh, 3 weeks new GTS, what a drag.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Really glad everyone is okay and sad to see this. I had an old lady back into my bimmer.... twice... last week. Several people chased her down. She had no clue she hit me and was very flighty. She said she was so careful but looking at the corners of her car, it was not the first (or second) time she’s done this.

Sounds like you drove your car too much - at least that is what you implied, with a snarky comment "how did that work out for you," when my 911 got hit (and totaled).
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Sorry to see this. Totally sucks. But really doesn't look too bad. Get it fixed right, suppress the memory, and enjoy your new car.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Sounds like you drove your car too much - at least that is what you implied, with a snarky comment "how did that work out for you," when my 911 got hit.
I do drive that car too much... ~35k/year.

I was being snarky at the notion that some people only drive <2k miles a year to preserve resale Sincere apologies for being insensitive.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Could just cutout holes where the damage is for “weight savings”. (I know it’s for legit drag on this particular model of car)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That sucks man. Just make sure you get a second opinion on damage. Someone backed into our Macan S, and at first the damage adjuster just wanted to replace the license plate frame. Took it to a reputable body shop and it turned out to be a lot more - $1500 of work. The adjuster came out and agreed with their assessment. It looks just like new now, BTW. Don't worry, it'll be fixed - just make sure you fight to make sure all damage is inspected!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm just kind of relying on, or hoping if you will, that the fact it was a secondary collision may have dampened the impact enough to make it superficial damage only requiring some parts. There was no speed related rolling inertia, as the guy behind me was stopped, and absorbed all that. Not sure how much of that was transferred to me (where's Isaac Newton when you need him), but hopefully not enough to do deep damage. I looked under there and felt around found some pretty sharp edges where the bumper was lacerated through, so it wouldn't take a huge impact to cause that, and the bumper did pop back at those points. Just the bottom from the Sunshine State on the plate to the top of the exhaust stayed rolled in.

I called the dealership, and they going to take a look at it tomorrow to prime me for the insurance adjusters. I have a very good rapport with those guys. They like me for some reason. I choose to believe it is because of my sparkling personality, and not my wallet.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Feel sorry for you and hope that it isn't substantial damage on the rear. From what you indicated the front seems to be fine. Wish you quick resolution with the insurance and getting a DV money.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

So sorry, glad you are okay, poor, 911. This is why I only weekend drive my 911, just too many idiots not paying attention during commuting hours.

hope it gets fix soon.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underneath the plastic bumper there is an aluminium impact bar and two aluminium box girders (that run parallel to the long axis of the car). Thes three pieces of metal are designed to take up impacts and deform before transferring much of the impact to the rails etc. Touch wood you may be up for minor repairs. Painful.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Happened to me right after finishing adding the Cup Aerokit to my previous 4S. Wanted to vomit but it’s all fixable. Sorry to See you go through this but I’m sure it will all be ok.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Gordon, in 2013 my wife's three-week-old Carmine Red Cayenne GTS was rear ended by a guy reading a book while driving a Dodge Neon. It did $17,000 damage to the Cayenne. Minor damage to a Porsche is pricey. We had an awesome Porsche-approved body shop repair it, we used their diminished-value adjuster to get a quote, and we got a lawyer. Result: We paid $350 for the diminished value assessment and we paid $2000 for the lawyer. Their insurance company paid $17,000 for the repair AND $20,000 diminished value. The Cayenne was repaired as good as new, we even tracked it at one event at VIR. When we sold the Cayenne three years later, we took about a $5000 loss relative to what we probably would have received without the accident. We were completely upfront with the buyer about the accident. It was heartbreaking to have our new car damaged, but financially it worked out to our advantage.

My Lava Orange 911 GTS is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday in Jacksonville. Maybe I should just park it in the garage and put velvet ropes around it. JK.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a thread around here somewhere from I think last year, the car appeared to have even less visible damage than this. Because of the way the car is designed to dissipate energy however when they started pulling it apart it came to some tens of thousands. The really fun part if you can find this is pictures showing how close it came to frame damage that is unfixable and would have totaled the car. Like another half an inch would have done it.

Obviously something similar applies to the front end. That your front end is smooth and PPF'd and made of wonderful magical materials that deform and snap back does not mean the underlying materials are not bent all out of alignment. You could be lucky or you could be looking at a new car. I would not get too anxious or eager either way until someone with a lot of Porsche experience gives it a good hard thorough exam.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I'm just kind of relying on, or hoping if you will, that the fact it was a secondary collision may have dampened the impact enough to make it superficial damage only requiring some parts. There was no speed related rolling inertia, as the guy behind me was stopped, and absorbed all that. Not sure how much of that was transferred to me (where's Isaac Newton when you need him), but hopefully not enough to do deep damage. I looked under there and felt around found some pretty sharp edges where the bumper was lacerated through, so it wouldn't take a huge impact to cause that, and the bumper did pop back at those points. Just the bottom from the Sunshine State on the plate to the top of the exhaust stayed rolled in.

I called the dealership, and they going to take a look at it tomorrow to prime me for the insurance adjusters. I have a very good rapport with those guys. They like me for some reason. I choose to believe it is because of my sparkling personality, and not my wallet.
Do have them pull the front bumper cover, too. Better to know what might be hiding there, since even some trivial broken plastic tabs can get expensive.

And I do feel your pain. Many years ago I was sitting at the red light in my pristine Guards Red 944. I looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see a car closing and not slowing. He hit me at about 20 mph. That was enough to buckle the rear end, and cause much grief. I loved that car, and so insisted on full repair at a shop of my choosing.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A few things.....first sorry this happened to you and glad you are physically fine. I have been through a lot...I mean a lot in my life, so something like this I find insignificant. Loose a wife, nearly loose your life....and come back and talk to me about a fender bender.
Second....all these assumptions about how the accident happened. We really do not know if they were texting or not paying attention....so why get upset over something if we really do not know how it happened.
Third, if I read correct, the person in front of you took off. Be happy about that, because you could have been blamed for not keeping a proper distance and whatever damage you did to him/her could be on you.
A year from now this will be forgotten....
Sorry if I sound insensitive but when you have been here as long as I have and seeing real tragedies....and I deal and work in a field where tragedies is a daily event.....a fender bender is just that ....a fender bender.

Best,
Abe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, that didn't take long...