Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Anecdotal at best, but my dealer does not have a single new 911 in inventory, and only one incoming. I believe the only cars they have in the pipeline to be built are a Turbo S and a few GT3's. Meanwhile they have a bunch of 718's on the lot gathering dust. When I picked up my GTS last month, I traded in a '15 981 Cayman S, and they sold it twice in less than 2 weeks. The first sale fell through at the last moment, but it was officially sold to someone else 2 days later. I found that kind of odd, because the 981 Cayman prices kind of cratered over the last 4 months. But then again, that may be the reason.
Mine (1 of 4 or 5 local Porsche dealers) has 13 2018 911s in stock right now (11 various Carreras and 2 Turbo S's) and one 2017 (a Carrera). I have no idea how many are incoming (other than my ordered one!). This compares to 11 Caymans and 5 Boxster in stock (all 2018s).

The new 911s include four 2018 GTSs (1 coupe, 2 cabs, 1 Targa).
Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all over Down Town Los Angels Porsche has DOZENS and a black 2018 GT3 not ADM!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel dealers have somewhat abused the GTS targa allocations, configuring them with excessive options and pushing the price to $160k and above... My dealer had a Chalk Targa GTS with an MSRP of $165k
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Mine (1 of 4 or 5 local Porsche dealers) has 13 2018 911s in stock right now (11 various Carreras and 2 Turbo S's) and one 2017 (a Carrera). I have no idea how many are incoming (other than my ordered one!). This compares to 11 Caymans and 5 Boxster in stock (all 2018s).

The new 911s include four 2018 GTSs (1 coupe, 2 cabs, 1 Targa).
Most Porsche dealers display cars on their web site that are actually ordered cars from customers. Rennlisters see their inbound cars listed on their dealer's web sites and say WTF?! Call those dealers that you referenced and see. They will say......"It has already sold, but can I interest in you in X" LOL. Marketing strategy that works.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by subshooter
Most Porsche dealers display cars on their web site that are actually ordered cars from customers. Rennlisters see their inbound cars listed on their dealer's web sites and say WTF?! Call those dealers that you referenced and see. They will say......"It has already sold, but can I interest in you in X" LOL. Marketing strategy that works.
Hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to report back whether that is true or not, at least for my car lol!

Every time I go there they seem to have a lot of 911s for sale though...

Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
I feel dealers have somewhat abused the GTS targa allocations, configuring them with excessive options and pushing the price to $160k and above... My dealer had a Chalk Targa GTS with an MSRP of $165k
$160K-$165K for that car isn't really very hard to do when the base price is $140K.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by subshooter
Porsche automatically populates the dealer inventory with cars that complete build, but don't do that for customer cars. You'll see the cars on the website for weeks on end with no stock number, and a stock number will show up when the car actually arrives. My GTS order I got a few weeks ago never showed up on their website at any time. Hard to say the level a dealer will stoop to, but Porsche doesn't help them, and I would think they would frown on the practice.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Porsche automatically populates the dealer inventory with cars that complete build, but don't do that for customer cars. You'll see the cars on the website for weeks on end with no stock number, and a stock number will show up when the car actually arrives. My GTS order I got a few weeks ago never showed up on their website at any time. Hard to say the level a dealer will stoop to, but Porsche doesn't help them, and I would think they would frown on the practice.
The day after my dealer was able to give me my VIN number my ordered C2S showed up on their website for sale and still is on there. Interesting your GTS never showed up.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:09 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
"Excessive" is subjective. I got my GTS cab off the lot for $163k, and there were still options I wish it had, and few options I would want to be without. Porsche options are plentiful and expensive, it doesn't take much before you bump up the price significantly.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
The day after my dealer was able to give me my VIN number my ordered C2S showed up on their website for sale and still is on there. Interesting your GTS never showed up.
Is it possible that they ordered the car you wanted without classifying it as a customer car (Order Type KF) with your name on the build sheet? If you have a copy of the build sheet, it would show that pretty clearly. I'm sort of curious now about the process. What I posted above was what I was told by my SA, and they know everything, right?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:10 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
"Excessive" is subjective. I got my GTS cab off the lot for $163k, and there were still options I wish it had, and few options I would want to be without. Porsche options are plentiful and expensive, it doesn't take much before you bump up the price significantly.
I agree. MSRP on my Targa GTS was about $170k. True, a lot of the additional equipment boxes were checked (FAL, RAS, PDCC, LED headlights, 18-way seats, Bose, etc.) but I also did some other tweaks like creating a carbon fiber "driving zone" including door sills, and doing the steering column and seat backs in leather and carrying the red deviated stitching (which I absolutely love). All these things make the car super-special to me and I spent a lot of time deciding on them. For my money it's totally worth it TO ME and I plan to keep the car for a while and drive it and not worry about the sale price or the next owner.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Is it possible that they ordered the car you wanted without classifying it as a customer car (Order Type KF) with your name on the build sheet? If you have a copy of the build sheet, it would show that pretty clearly. I'm sort of curious now about the process. What I posted above was what I was told by my SA, and they know everything, right?
My build sheet from when my order was submitted shows customer address and has my name and address there. Also has the KF code you mention. I have been watching their inventory the last 6 months. Plenty have cars have shown up just like mine that are clearly not coming to the lot for sale. Numerous PTS GT3 builds. I know those were certainly ordered specific for a customer.

Maybe it is different dealer to dealer. I do notice once the cars show up either the picture changes from a configurator generated picture (what mine shows now) to an actual picture or the car just disappears from the website. Seems like all the ones that are customer builds never make it to the actual photo stage and are just gone. When looking at inventory I assume only the ones that are actual photos are the ones truly for sale.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

$160K-$165K for that car isn't really very hard to do when the base price is $140K.
Not hard at all to bump the price up on a GTS.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:41 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 206 Posts

I just bought a pre - owned Targa 4 GTS. After consulting with my local dealer, we were on the phone with his rep that handles allocations. Sports car allocations are very hard to get right now, period!!!

PTS non metallic

Chalk air vents in leather

houndstooth with piping vs stitching

That said, I couldn't pass this up, as it's a fantastic build, and was had at a discount. I, like bwiele, prefer my interiors a certain way, and this one just spoke to me. I do wish it had 3 additional options, but they can always be added down the road.

Keep looking, they are out there.

Quick Reply: Allocations - any idea?