Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:06 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr911
Waze works in my 991.2 Targa 4 via Apple Carplay- maybe an update is in order on the phone and/or PCM?
Their post was from prior to when Apple finally allowed Google Maps and Waze in CarPlay
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Farrukh Sumair
Just installed Andriod system to my Porsche Cayenne 2017 with PCM 4.0... Definitely touch is not as smooth as original but very good with few glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Pm2cGlRMk
Please share how you did this.

I'm on the verge of switching back to iPhone for the first time in 7 years.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Farrukh Sumair
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does not run Andriod Auto Properly. You can share the screen with EasyConnect but the screen displays in horizontal

For the installation
- Bought this kit ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...92987acc38c6d7 )

- Its all plug and play.. no need to cut any cables or any other modification.
- You will need to remove the two air vents beside the main unit... and the air vent on the passenger side. Take out the main unit
- Then unscrew the glove box..
- All the cables come with the unit... you just need to plug all cables as per pictures and mount the two units behind the glove box

Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug

how? Or post is useless
^^^ this
Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=phx991;14803984]
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway

The worldwide market share closer to 75% as of January 2018, and has generally been trending downward. Also, this market share number does mean that most Porsche owners have an Android phone that can run Android Auto.
  • It is a worldwide market share. In countries such as India and China iOS penetration is very low, but only a microscopic percentage of the population can afford a Porsche.
  • Android Auto is only available in Android 5.0 and up
  • Android is also used in refrigerators, TVs, and other appliances, and even some PCs
  • iPhone owners tend to be more affluent, and closer to the demographics of the average Porsche owner
I have not seen any surveys of Porsche owners, but I suspect the majority own an iPhone.

In addition, there have been reports that Porsche was concerned about privacy in deciding to bypass Android Auto: https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9...e-android-auto
Why would you assume the majority of Porsche owners own an iPhone? Based strictly on the newer iPhones costing more? I have Anroid and a 991 and know a few other people who have high end cars and Android.

The privacy angle I could understand.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Please share how you did this.

I'm on the verge of switching back to iPhone for the first time in 7 years.
Don't do it. I went to android two years ago. Wife just got an iPhone XS and you can plainly see how android keeps improving and how both iOS and the hardware itself keep getting worse as time goes on
​​

Plus, CarPlay is brutally ugly to look at compared to Android Auto, especially if you use Spotify.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=maxpowers;15508867]
Originally Posted by phx991

Why would you assume the majority of Porsche owners own an iPhone? Based strictly on the newer iPhones costing more? I have Anroid and a 991 and know a few other people who have high end cars and Android.

The privacy angle I could understand.
I wouldn't assume that, and I also never posted what you somehow gave me credit for above.

The only thing I posted in this thread is this:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
People can get Waze on Android Auto. Oh wait, I forgot Porsche decided it wasn't necessary to accommodate the people who use Android phones. Why in the world would they think that was useful when only 86% of the smartphones in the world run on android?
I was unaware of any alleged security concerns at that time.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Don't do it. I went to android two years ago. Wife just got an iPhone XS and you can plainly see how android keeps improving and how both iOS and the hardware itself keep getting worse as time goes on
​​

Plus, CarPlay is brutally ugly to look at compared to Android Auto, especially if you use Spotify.
You're oh so right. I have to use an iPad for my flight charts (Jeppesen went iOS-only) and it is wholly unintuitive and functionally limited. I choose to not even imagine having to deal with that OS in my daily life.

Android phones of sufficient quality (usually not your $300-specials, but who here is shopping in that bracket, anyways?) are fast, stable, more customizable, and vastly more utilitarian than iPhones. The OS now is a snap compared to the previous iterations requiring some level of tech-savviness. I'd challenge anyone to give a OnePlus 6T or Pixel 3 a whirl for a couple weeks and tell me all about the likes and don't likes... of which Android Auto will not be one lol
Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Count me among those who think it's a joke for PCM to not integrate with Android Auto. VAG has about as much if not more negotiation power with Google as any Auto manufacturer imaginable. Consider that Android Auto is integrated in to every other car made by VAG including Bentley and Lamborghini. In fact, Audi's integration with Android is used as a case study for the Google Assistant integration with Android Auto. Porsche has run out of rational reasons to not support Android Auto.... Plain and simple.
The following users liked this post:
Argote (02-04-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
Count me among those who think it's a joke for PCM to not integrate with Android Auto. VAG has about as much if not more negotiation power with Google as any Auto manufacturer imaginable. Consider that Android Auto is integrated in to every other car made by VAG including Bentley and Lamborghini. In fact, Audi's integration with Android is used as a case study for the Google Assistant integration with Android Auto. Porsche has run out of rational reasons to not support Android Auto.... Plain and simple.
Agree completely. Lack of AA support was almost reason enough to not buy my Carrera. If it were a regular car like a Macan or Cayenne, it would be reason enough to not buy it. There is no reasonable excuse, particularly considering the rest of VAG supports it, as you mention.
The following users liked this post:
Argote (02-04-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm going to add this later in the summer...has anyone else ? Apparently the camera includes the backup lines.

<nick.marquis@nmautomotive.co.uk> wrote:Hi,

The CarPlay/Android Auto kit is 580USD plus 50USD DHL Express shipping. The reversing camera an additional 50USD.
We can recommend http://audioexcellencecfl.com/ based in West Orlando, they installed one our very first customers kits.

Any questions or if you want to proceed just let us know.

Kind regards

Nick
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

There's a solution for all PCM 3.x and 4.x Porshes:

http://www.sdkautos.com

Worth a look!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much ???!!!!

From what I can make of this 'upgrade' it is just using the PCM screen to display the Android system from the separate module. I would have thought that it would be easier (and far cheaper) to opt for one of the many Android replacements available on eBay, Aliexpress etc
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RazMan
How much ???!!!!
Two posts above yours:

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor

I'm going to add this later in the summer...has anyone else ? Apparently the camera includes the backup lines.

<nick.marquis@nmautomotive.co.uk> wrote:Hi,

The CarPlay/Android Auto kit is 580USD plus 50USD DHL Express shipping. The reversing camera an additional 50USD.
We can recommend http://audioexcellencecfl.com/ based in West Orlando, they installed one our very first customers kits.

Any questions or if you want to proceed just let us know.

Kind regards

Nick
Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

Your summary is correct, that is how it works, the benefit is you still have all of the stock PCM functionality and clean installation. A lot of the ebay and aliexpress stuff is made in China/India rubbish.

The unit is $800USD and can be purchased directly on
http://www.sdkautos.com or via emailing support@sdkautos.com

Originally Posted by RazMan
How much ???!!!!

From what I can make of this 'upgrade' it is just using the PCM screen to display the Android system from the separate module. I would have thought that it would be easier (and far cheaper) to opt for one of the many Android replacements available on eBay, Aliexpress etc

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?