Sponsored by:

Video on advantages of 911 engine placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Video on advantages of 911 engine placement

Basically better weight when accelerating, braking, and makes it easier to do an AWD with a rear bias

Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I chuckle when people call rear engine “wrong” yet Porsche have proven time and time again that it’s the secret sauce that makes their 911 literally the most legendary and record setting sports car that all others chase.

Sure, it feels a little odd and imbalanced (part of what makes it lively and fun), but it lends strength in acceleration, braking, and overall grip.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The engineering reasons for it are all known and solid, but still not enough to recommend it when performance is the main goal. Nobody runs a rear engine design in racing, not even Porsche, they flip it around and call it a 911 in order to remain competitive. No way any car maker today, starting with a clean sheet, would ever choose a rear engine design. No car maker including Porsche has ever done so. The 911 is a one-off. Why?

My view is the success of the 911 has never had as much to do with the design, per se,as with the implementation of the design. There is a lot more to making a great drivers car than which side of which axle the engine goes. A whole lot more. Porsche just gets that better than anyone else. That is why, when Porsche decides to make an SUV, boom, finally someone makes an SUV you can enjoy driving. Big ol' sedan? Ditto. Hybrid? LeMans? I'm telling you, we are gonna be winning so much you are gonna get tired of winning. Its not the design. Everyone is using pretty much the same designs. Its their implementation of the designs. Not just what is done, but how. Details. Porsche has mastered the details.

After all these years I think it is getting harder and harder to say the 911 is distinct because of its design. Its been almost two decades since they dropped air cooling, the engines keep moving forward and are even mid-engine now in racing. A good case can be made that the design is an accident of history. The real distinction of the 911, the one that has held through to today, is it is the best Porsche can build. Which of course means its the best anyone can build. That to me is a lot more meaningful than details like where they put the engine.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 AM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the old saying : A poor design, engineered to near perfection !
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
The engineering reasons for it are all known and solid, but still not enough to recommend it when performance is the main goal. Nobody runs a rear engine design in racing, not even Porsche, they flip it around and call it a 911 in order to remain competitive. No way any car maker today, starting with a clean sheet, would ever choose a rear engine design. No car maker including Porsche has ever done so. The 911 is a one-off. Why?

My view is the success of the 911 has never had as much to do with the design, per se,as with the implementation of the design. There is a lot more to making a great drivers car than which side of which axle the engine goes. A whole lot more. Porsche just gets that better than anyone else. That is why, when Porsche decides to make an SUV, boom, finally someone makes an SUV you can enjoy driving. Big ol' sedan? Ditto. Hybrid? LeMans? I'm telling you, we are gonna be winning so much you are gonna get tired of winning. Its not the design. Everyone is using pretty much the same designs. Its their implementation of the designs. Not just what is done, but how. Details. Porsche has mastered the details.

After all these years I think it is getting harder and harder to say the 911 is distinct because of its design. Its been almost two decades since they dropped air cooling, the engines keep moving forward and are even mid-engine now in racing. A good case can be made that the design is an accident of history. The real distinction of the 911, the one that has held through to today, is it is the best Porsche can build. Which of course means its the best anyone can build. That to me is a lot more meaningful than details like where they put the engine.
I largely agree with this position, for RWD - lets face it even Porsche gave up and flipped the engine in the last WEC RSR (due to a combination of aero, tire wear and balance), what do Ferrari have in the same series 41.5% and 58.5%.

Why do current GT cars have RAS? to "extend" the wheelbase during high speed cornering.....

I agree, they are masters of the detail throughout the whole ecosystem.

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-14-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrong thread
Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911

What kinds of details has Porsche mastered? Do you really think that the 911 is the best that Porsche can build? Obviously we all love the 911 or we wouldn't have bought the car, but I'm seriously considering never buying a Porsche again after the 991.1. The interior quality seems like it was put together by a high school kid on a Friday afternoon. For months I dreaded getting into the car because of all the annoying rattles and squeaks. I had to bring the car in multiple times to get them to try and tighten it up so it isn't impossible to drive without pulling my hair out. The 987 Cayman S seems to be much better put together than the 911. The service adviser even told me that the 997 quality was better and they get a lot of complains about the interior in the 991. So is that really the best Porsche can do?

I have a Hyundai Sonata rental car and it doesn't rattle/squeak at all and feels much more solid inside than the 911. Of course performance/handling/feel of the 911 is far superior, but after riding in any other car it feels like the 911 is very flimsy inside. I don't buy this argument that because the 911 is a sports car is has to be sloppily put together where the pieces don't fit properly.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
What kinds of details has Porsche mastered? Do you really think that the 911 is the best that Porsche can build? Obviously we all love the 911 or we wouldn't have bought the car, but I'm seriously considering never buying a Porsche again after the 991.1. The interior quality seems like it was put together by a high school kid on a Friday afternoon. For months I dreaded getting into the car because of all the annoying rattles and squeaks. I had to bring the car in multiple times to get them to try and tighten it up so it isn't impossible to drive without pulling my hair out. The 987 Cayman S seems to be much better put together than the 911. The service adviser even told me that the 997 quality was better and they get a lot of complains about the interior in the 991. So is that really the best Porsche can do?

I have a Hyundai Sonata rental car and it doesn't rattle/squeak at all and feels much more solid inside than the 911. Of course performance/handling/feel of the 911 is far superior, but after riding in any other car it feels like the 911 is very flimsy inside. I don't buy this argument that because the 911 is a sports car is has to be sloppily put together where the pieces don't fit properly.

I agree ---- given the way you feel you should probably not buy another Porsche again....

Me, on the other hand, bought a CPO'ed 2013 991 S Cab (to replace a 2013 Boxster S) that was so solid that it convinced me to pick up a new Cayenne S over the Lexuses (sp?) that I used to buy. So here I sit with 2 Porsche's and yup when the time comes I'll probably buy another one. And, buying cars is not a new thing to me as I started driving 60 years ago and have owned some really bad, bad examples of manufacturing quality control. I'm sorry your experience with the Porsche marque hasn't been as good......
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeearly
I agree ---- given the way you feel you should probably not buy another Porsche again....

Me, on the other hand, bought a CPO'ed 2013 991 S Cab (to replace a 2013 Boxster S) that was so solid that it convinced me to pick up a new Cayenne S over the Lexuses (sp?) that I used to buy. So here I sit with 2 Porsche's and yup when the time comes I'll probably buy another one. And, buying cars is not a new thing to me as I started driving 60 years ago and have owned some really bad, bad examples of manufacturing quality control. I'm sorry your experience with the Porsche marque hasn't been as good......
The thing is I had a wonderful experience with the Cayman, but was shocked the 991. I'm a little jealous you got a CPO 991 and it was rock solid whereas my custom build new one has been such a disaster. I guess it depends on who was working at the factory when the car was built. Lexus has been extremely reliable for my family for years. The Cayenne rental cars I've had have been solid. The poor quality on my 991 along with the original attitude from the service department that "it's a sports car so it's going to rattle/squeak and be poorly put together inside" has turned me from the biggest Porsche 911 fan into someone extremely disappointed with the brand. Also look at Nick Murray's 991 and all the problems he had with it. I really doubt the 911 I have is the best they could have done.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
.....along with the original attitude from the service department that "it's a sports car so it's going to rattle/squeak and be poorly put together inside" has turned me from the biggest Porsche 911 fan into someone extremely disappointed with the brand. ......
This one fact has ruined more ownership experiences for me than any other issue with the mechanics of the car. One would think that the dealerships would understand that - especially in the high end car market - the comments and attitudes expressed by service department personnel are absolutely critical to the success of the business. I've owned 6 Lexus and have been impressed with the great quality and compassion of the service personnel at the dealership -- well it turned out it was because of the commitment and attitude of the Director of Operations and how he managed the people and work. Now that he has retired I'm finding that when I take my wife's car in it's just another average dealership.

To get back to the original topic -- while I have had nothing but great experiences with all of 4 of my Porsches and consider them very innovative and well built in their own right - I have to admit that the quality, attitude and compassion for these cars by the folks at my dealership have helped.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

While a sports car in its own way will feel more “rugged” inside than an appliance or luxury car (via its increased stiffness, more harsh bumps being transmitted inside due to more force to the chassis) that feeling is part of the raw charm many love about sports cars.

Rattles are a different story. My 2012.5 3.4 of which I’m the third owner and is modified with X Pipe, H&R lowering springs and HRE wheels, is absolutely and TOTALLY rattle free. Granite solid. Literally not one rattle or squeak. My E Classes rattled far more.

It’s certainly not my Macan in the sense of being separated from harshness, the chassis does feel more “worked” than a car riding high in the air with a squishier suspension, but it rattles even less, and feels even more inherently solid. Even if sometimes I get that unsettling sensation of more pressure being put onto said chassis when going over tougher surfaces.

It’s shockingly smooth too, all things considered.

Quick Reply: Video on advantages of 911 engine placement