Sponsored by:

Why hasn't this sold? - GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:59 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why hasn't this sold? - GTS

Welcome to another episode of Why hasn't his sold...

I was wondering with all the talk of GTS cars being limited, low allocation and dealers not willing to sell for anything less than msrp.

Why hasn't this GTS Sold?

Is it the 6k miles?

Asking: $119,995.00

http://www.porschewestbroward.com/de...-17322878.html
Old 02-11-2018, 03:16 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

The price is not attractive.

For someone who has 115K to buy a car with some options which might not be in his interest he will go for a new one with 125K.

It is only 15% below MSRP. It is a second hand sports car therefore when the price will go 25% less than MSRP it will be sold.

I am in exactly the same position. I can buy a light used car like this with 23% bellow MSRP but I can order the car I want and wait for 5 months with a discount 13%. As soon as my dealer give me 15% discount I will order to car.

Dealers I believe they have profit up to 40% for a normal opted car.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:20 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
The price is not attractive.

For someone who has 115K to buy a car with some options which might not be in his interest he will go for a new one with 125K.

It is only 15% below MSRP. It is a second hand sports car therefore when the price will go 25% less than MSRP it will be sold.

I am in exactly the same position. I can buy a light used car like this with 23% bellow MSRP but I can order the car I want and wait for 5 months with a discount 13%. As soon as my dealer give me 15% discount I will order to car.

Dealers I believe they have profit up to 40% for a normal opted car.
How are you getting 13% off a custom factory order?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:29 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducstar
How are you getting 13% off a custom factory order?
I pay cash without any bank intermediate and I have set my target and I will never step back.

If I will not achieve my target I will not buy now. I believe in 6 months from now 991.2 prices will drop another 5-8% as 992 will be announced and everyone will focus on the new model.

To save 5K is not my point. My point is that as I fully respect my customers whenever they spend their money to my business I have the same expectation when I enter a dealer with 130K cash. If they will not try to get these money and show respect someone else will get the cash.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:22 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

I pay cash without any bank intermediate and I have set my target and I will never step back.

If I will not achieve my target I will not buy now. I believe in 6 months from now 991.2 prices will drop another 5-8% as 992 will be announced and everyone will focus on the new model.

To save 5K is not my point. My point is that as I fully respect my customers whenever they spend their money to my business I have the same expectation when I enter a dealer with 130K cash. If they will not try to get these money and show respect someone else will get the cash.
My experience has always been poor when offering to pay cash. The dealers make big $$$ on financing and trade in's. contrary to popular belief , cash is not king.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gellie
My experience has always been poor when offering to pay cash. The dealers make big $$$ on financing and trade in's. contrary to popular belief , cash is not king.
Different continent different market rules....
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

That is correct, dealers prefer financing vs cash as they get a big kickback from it, so cash doesn’t help you in price negotiation.

As for GTS pricing, while 992 will come out soon, you will not have a GTS allocation for 992 before 2022, and since they know it they will not get over 8% on a new car that will not be available to order in the next 4 years.
So if you are set on a GTS, and you want a new one, don’t save these extra 5K and get it, cause if you don’t, you will not see an allocation for it until 2022.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Dealers absolutely do not have 40% in a new car. That's the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Dealers absolutely do not have 40% in a new car. That's the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.
Probably not in Porsche but I am sure for every car in the range of 150K the profit is around 45K.

In any case is not my business therefore not my interest how much is the dealer profit. My interest is to buy whatever I want to buy and feel confident.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:25 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

1. The mileage
2. The color
3. Buyers have really moved to the custom spec end of buying a 911. Seems to be more the case with .2
4. 911 sales aren't exactly record breaking now. Add some more stock market drama, they will tank.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Probably not in Porsche but I am sure for every car in the range of 150K the profit is around 45K.

In any case is not my business therefore not my interest how much is the dealer profit. My interest is to buy whatever I want to buy and feel confident.
No, not even close. Porsche dealer margin is 14% on MSRP. The extras, such as insurance and prepaid maintenance, along with financing SPIFFS add to their profit. If there is a markup over MSRP, such as the case with GT3 buys, that certainly pads profit margins. People are usually suprised to learn how little profit there is in new cars, which explains why dealership groups have expanded and put the squeeze on indepedent dealers... volume matters.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

The manufacturer may have 40% (or more) profit in the car - at their invoice price to the dealer. They have massive overheads beyond the material & service costs of assembly. Dealers have somewhere between 10% - 15% at MSRP depending on factory holdbacks and SPIFs. They have significant overheads to cover as well. Honestly, I've found most dealers to be pretty fair if you are.

Demanding a 15% discount for a factory order is not a fair offer. Nor is it likely to be accepted anywhere.

Just my 10 bits.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Btw the 10% figure is the only guaranteed part. Anything extra in regards to % vs msrp for a dealer is earned at year end through enrollment in programs or performance (CSI Type stuff)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok so what do you do for a living and would you be comfortable making 60% less or working for free? You're looking for a premium luxury item and dealers want to sell it but if you want the dealership to be in business when you come back for an oil change you need to properly set expectations.

On a 150k car a dealer will actually profit about 5k. That's after paying the sales person, taxes, and that car's share of the bills.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously dude?

Quick Reply: Why hasn't this sold? - GTS