Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Wheel and Tire insurance ?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slcutler922

Which Porsche dealer did you purchase it from and when do you buy it? Because that’s about $1000 less than I was quoted for 5 yr coverage. Taking delivery of a new 2017 991.2 coup on Sat and I’d buy the insurance if I got it at the price you paid.
Check your PM
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 PM
JoeyClosets
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So happy I got the wheel & tire insurance. In two months I have gone thru two tires. Have driven the car 3k miles. First one was drivers side rear. Now passenger side rear. So with a total of 7k miles on the car I now have two new rear tires (900 miles apart). I hope that it for a long time...

BTW- both were simple punctures . One trip to the dealer on a flatbed & the other I was able to drive in.
The following users liked this post:
Marker1 (07-25-2020)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Keep in mind that with the insurance, the car is at a Porsche dealership to get the tire replaced and you get one of their loaners. The convenience of that has to be included in the proposition.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

can't you get these super cheap from tire suppliers? Like 30bucks for a few years cheap...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:16 PM
JoeyClosets
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flatbed to dealer-
Loaner car-
Tire insurance-
Rim insurance-
Curbed rim up to 8 times-

Yeah, I'm happy I got it. Huge convenience factor...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by slcutler922

Which Porsche dealer did you purchase it from and when do you buy it? Because that’s about $1000 less than I was quoted for 5 yr coverage. Taking delivery of a new 2017 991.2 coup on Sat and I’d buy the insurance if I got it at the price you paid.
You can negotiate the price on these. Dealerships jack the price up substantially as profit off this is and other add on products is how Finance Managers are paid. In fact, dealerships tend to make more on the back end off this stuff than they do off the car or front end.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:36 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

5 years/60K for $1500 at end of April. Guy flat out told me the other optional coverages were a waste of money, but we agreed that this one could pay for itself in one instance.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
5 years/60K for $1500 at end of April. Guy flat out told me the other optional coverages were a waste of money, but we agreed that this one could pay for itself in one instance.
Yeah, they do that to get you to purchase something . . .

My wife used to be a Finance Manager at a Porsche dealership. She is now FI at a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Maserati and Lotus dealership. She does the same thing, especially when other coverages are not applicable or she senses the purchasers won't be interested as stretching it already.

I never purchase wheel and tire. Insurance will cover a rim and Tire Rack tires come with a road hazard warranty.

Pre paid maintenance is actually decent and opti coat is not bad if purchasing an expensive car. If keeping car long term or purchasing used, some of the extended warranty stuff is actually good as well. I suppose wheel and tire might be decent if you live up North with crappy roads, but I would never use it, only replaced 1 Rim due to damage in perhaps 30 years and get my tires from Tire Rack.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:13 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Its (almost always) not worth it unless you KNOW you'll be having many incidents per year. Most people are best off saving the money and spending as needed instead.

As with all insurance/warranties, there is lots of fine pint. They will be doing everything it takes to repair (not replacing) if a rim gets damaged. Repairing alloy wheels is WAY less than 200 (depending on damage...might be less than $50) and typically easy/ quick to do via machine. ~500 might get you a new rim depending on which you got, but dealer might charged up to 1k. You'd have to be doing some weird stuff or have some really crappy roads to bend a rim. Granted I'm not that old, but I've never damaged/bent a rim from just driving around...and I've hit some weird stuff. Curb rash is easy cheap fix out of pocket...the policy normally will limit number of times they'll cover this.

Replacing a tire is less than 350 normally. When I've messed up one up, a lot of times they were worn and needed to be replaced soon anyway...new tires seem to avoid punctures better. The insurance will always be able to fix the wheel with a $20 plug typically. Roadside assistance will tow you for free and often times your auto insurance will cover a rental. Often tires come with hazard warranty too.

There are other cheaper ways to get this insurance NOT from a dealer if you really want it. Call your auto insurance rep for a quote. I think dealers will charge nearly 2k (1700 sounds about right), but I wouldn't be surprised that they'll try get 2500 out of you.
The following 2 users liked this post by minthral:
jimmiejam (12-11-2020), Marantz2270 (08-09-2020)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by minthral
Its (almost always) not worth it unless you KNOW you'll be having many incidents per year. Most people are best off saving the money and spending as needed instead.

As with all insurance/warranties, there is lots of fine pint. They will be doing everything it takes to repair (not replacing) if a rim gets damaged. Repairing alloy wheels is WAY less than 200 (depending on damage...might be less than $50) and typically easy/ quick to do via machine. ~500 might get you a new rim depending on which you got, but dealer might charged up to 1k. You'd have to be doing some weird stuff or have some really crappy roads to bend a rim. Granted I'm not that old, but I've never damaged/bent a rim from just driving around...and I've hit some weird stuff. Curb rash is easy cheap fix out of pocket...the policy normally will limit number of times they'll cover this.

Replacing a tire is less than 350 normally. When I've messed up one up, a lot of times they were worn and needed to be replaced soon anyway...new tires seem to avoid punctures better. The insurance will always be able to fix the wheel with a $20 plug typically. Roadside assistance will tow you for free and often times your auto insurance will cover a rental. Often tires come with hazard warranty too.

There are other cheaper ways to get this insurance NOT from a dealer if you really want it. Call your auto insurance rep for a quote. I think dealers will charge nearly 2k (1700 sounds about right), but I wouldn't be surprised that they'll try get 2500 out of you.
Lol, they don’t sell this product with the idea of losing money. The only ones that economically make sense are pre-paid maintenance, real protectant like Expel or opti coat and extended warranties which are simply insurance against catastrophic failures or those unexpected issues than can run into the $5k to $25k range quickly, especially if you have a pdk outside of warranty.

That said, most of those my wife deals with now, unlike P-car purchases, are dropping $250 to $450 large and they just check all of the boxes. After all, what is another $150 per month for convenience, especially when losing $50k to $100k in some instances just by driving off the lot. So be a high rolla and make your Finance Manager happy. Just check all boxes and move on.
The following users liked this post:
Marantz2270 (08-09-2020)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 PM
jrf313
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car once or twice a week on decent roads. I declined the wheel/tire insurance at the dealer. It's been a year and a half with out issues. It amazes me to see how many people drive straight down a road regardless of what obstacles are in the way. Makes me cringe when I see someone hit pothole after pothole making no effort to avoid them.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

You can negotiate the price on these. Dealerships jack the price up substantially as profit off this is and other add on products is how Finance Managers are paid. In fact, dealerships tend to make more on the back end off this stuff than they do off the car or front end.
Some states (FL is one), they are prohibited by law from doing this. The really nice part about this law is the finance person isn't really pushy about trying to sell a bunch of protection plans, etc. since it isn't making the dealership any more money off of them.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:53 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Free

I bought a 2015 c2 CPO and the dealer offered a "free" tire and wheel warranty. It covers up to two tires as well as two wheels for cosmetic or functional damage up to two years.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to post my most recent experience with this. I must look like a sucker cause on my incoming GT3 dealer offered 5 year plan plus paintless dent removal for $5,800. I said no thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Okay, I'll ad one more point of view here. My dealer convinced me to buy this insurance for the 19" wheels on my 997 back in 2007. Fortunately it was only $595 back then. Never used it. Upon acquisition of my 991, I turned down the tire and wheel insurance. Haven't needed it yet. It is all a gamble. But it sure seems like a very expensive gamble. I am running self insured from now on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Wheel and Tire insurance ?