Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...

Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...

I installed these zunsport grilles for the obvious protection that they deliver.. Nice fit, easy install... But not crazy about the look! I liked the look of the bumper without them, but obviously wasn't crazy about the prospect of beat up cooling fins. Are these rads consumable? How beat do they get with no protection? How much for new ones?
I actually like the look of the bumper without almost enough to deal with the consequences. But how dire could they be if the factory spec'd no protection?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered the full kit from zunsport and was not impressed at all but the fitment/quality so I never installed them. Just sitting next to the door lol.

They look pretty good installed on your car, what don't you like about them? Try running only the outer grilles to see how you like it.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:19 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

911 looks better without the grilles - but that is personal opinion as others may like it.

I find grilles hideous because these holes are the coolest part of the car. Most F cars and L cars don't have the stupid grilles

Unless you live in a place like mars with lots of flying rocks and gravels in a dust storm, just take them out since you don't like it. Why putting something that you don't like on your car? Life is too short.

PF
Old 02-09-2018, 04:08 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

I also personally don't like the look of the zunsports (though I do appreciate their ease of install); they just don't look OEM to me, and standout as prominent element when really something like a piece of mesh should be less prominent and almost hidden. I went with the rennlines, and only did the outer most inlets, leaving the center scoops exposed. @flickroll, also ended up doing it the same way as me, and he's got some good pictures showing the end result vs the original no grilles look on his thread here (link below). I'm pretty happy with my setup and I'm actually finding it to look better than the original no grilles look.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1044...y-new-gts.html
Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Protection, Protection, Protection.

I believe there has only been a hand full of folks that had their AC condensers pierced by FOD.

If you want to make the screens disappear how about painting them flat black?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, it’s the AC condensers that will take the hits. You will know when the cooling no longer works. On my Cayman a condenser is a roughly $500 part, and fairly easy to replace. Getting the system leak tested and recharged will add additional cost.

Not saying this will be a common situation with street driving only. Still, there is a good argument to be made for installing grills.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:02 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I added the full set to my 991.2 gts and love 'em. No fitment or quality issues. I also had a set on my 981 boxster gts, before I installed I was always cleaning debris out of the passages.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

I prefer without
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the group that thinks the front end looks a bit unfinished without the grills. I have them also ( i did not use the center as I cannot bring myself to have screw holes).
Super easy install and surprisingly sturdy. I expected rough roads to cause them to come loose but they are rock steady after 2 months.
Definitely love mine.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

I was on the fence also, when I looked into the openings and found leaves, small rocks and one dead bird way in there I installed them. I think they look fine and are def functional.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer without as well, but less than 400 miles on my new 991.2 GTS I saw so many dings on both heat exchangers that I ordered the Zunsport full grill set from Amazon (Was like $297) The 4 that go on the side were easy to install and manipulate to get it symmetrical. The one in the middle (That requires drilling) took a ton of bending to get it even on both sides before I was happy with the fitment.

Last edited by CombatChuk; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by m5biemer
I added the full set to my 991.2 gts and love 'em. No fitment or quality issues. I also had a set on my 981 boxster gts, before I installed I was always cleaning debris out of the passages.
Originally Posted by docmalone
I am in the group that thinks the front end looks a bit unfinished without the grills. I have them also ( i did not use the center as I cannot bring myself to have screw holes).
Super easy install and surprisingly sturdy. I expected rough roads to cause them to come loose but they are rock steady after 2 months.
Definitely love mine.
Love mine in black. They disappear into the bumper and provide much needed protection.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Grills look fine...

If the car is leased...and you're done in 2 years...why waste the money

If you own the car and are keeping it for many years do the grills.

I want to do them on mine but not sure if I will have the car in a year or 2...so...meh
Old 02-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the style of screen makes all the difference. While some really like the Zunsports, I personally don't like them at all. They just grab your attention too much for my liking. As some others have done, I got the Rennline ones and only used the two outer grilles directly in front of the condensers. When mounted on the inside of the bumper, they are not very noticeable at all, and preserve the original look of the bumper. Just one of those personal preference things.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If you do decide to ditch the grills, an eventual option to clean up any dings to the AC fins is to buy a radiator fin comb and clean them back up... most easily done with the bumper off. Yes there is such a thing. They typically come with a variety of tooth spacings. You can get cheap ones on Amazon for about $15

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...