Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Gordon, thanks for posting the picture... why didn't you install the other two little grilles? I want to protect my radiators, but I also want to keep out birds, bugs, and bats (all of which get caught in my 997.2).
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
Gordon, thanks for posting the picture... why didn't you install the other two little grilles? I want to protect my radiators, but I also want to keep out birds, bugs, and bats (all of which get caught in my 997.2).

I just don't like the look of having those openings screened, and it is pretty simple cleaning anything out that gets in there. I also don't like giving up access to behind the screens without removing the bumper. Despite those pretty screens, some bugs and small debris can still occasionally get through, and I just like to be able to blow or vacuum it out. I had a similar opening on my Cayman S with only the front of the condensers screened, and it was never an issue. I will say I've never had a bird or bat problem, just pretty much small debris or a few leaves, which is easy to blow out. Cayman S opening below for comparison.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:11 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm happy with my Zunsport grills. The main selling point vs Rennline was the ease of installation. It literally took me longer to unpack the grills than to install them. I left the smaller inner openings uncovered which allows me to reach in and clean/remove any debris while still protecting radiators from any potential direct impacts. Quality product, reasonable price, easy installation and they look good.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I got sick of cleaning out all the debris my GTS would "hoover up" every time I went for a drive, so I ordered a set of Zunsports. I liked not having to remove the bumper cover for installation and the fact that I could easily put my car "back to stock" should I want to. (I had the Rennline grille screens on my previous car.) For the ease of installation, the Zunsports are a better choice. They may not look as OEM as the Rennline screens, but they still look quite good, IMO. There is absolutely NO EFFECT on the car's running temp, BTW.
Having had them on for a few months now, I don't even notice them. My garage air compressor blows hard enough to clean out all the small junk that still gets through. But, the best part is no more leaves, twigs, rocks, and pieces of paper. Porsche should offer screens as an option.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM
deadlivingthing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, your car looks dumb.

Wait...what was the question again?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Rennlines and like them a lot. I installed them only in the L & R intakes. For me the removal of the bumper was a small price to pay for a near OEM look. On the 991.2 GTS, the Zunsports cover the strake which was a non starter for me.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Rennlines for the win. Got them as well. Look great! Not of fan of Zunnsports. Orederd then cancelled. Went w Rennlines instead. Got them shipped to dealer whn bought the car. They installed. Bumper has to come off.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
On the 991.2 GTS, the Zunsports cover the strake which was a non starter for me.
I know the GTS is not a GT2RS, but have you seen the grill setup on that??
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I know the GTS is not a GT2RS, but have you seen the grill setup on that??
Dang, just looked and that is a honker of an intake! Didn't see any support behind it so if there really is no support, a good size tire chunk or rock hit would really mash it in.

Quick Reply: On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...