Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I installed the Zunsport, easy install short of roughed up knuckles. I don't mind the look, more importantly I appreciate the protection as I drive mostly back roads and all kinds of stuff get kicked up and thrown to the front. I guess it personal taste and tolerance for debris getting jammed in the inter-coolers.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I find this debate humorous

I am sorry for many opposing opinions but I was tired of vacuuming or pressure washing the debris from my most recent 2015 991 GTS Coupe. I had to do such frequently since 2015. I finally gave up with the debris and damage of the fins on the coolers and radiators. I bought the grills from Zunsport in early 2016. The week after I installed them, one "disappeared" (i.e., it fell off). I was so inept that, apparently,I could not handle simple installations. This was terrible for me since my profession involved Micro Brain surgery which I have been successful with. You put a wrench or screw driver in my hand and I can injure myself and several others around me.

When I failed with the initial implant, I called Zunsport volunteering to pay for a replacement. They sent me a replacement free-of-charge, They are so kind! They asked me to supply a picture of the subsequent installation. What you see above is just that. Personally I and all my Porsche friends appreciate the grills on my agate grey GTS. I do as well. They are both functional and attractive.

I appreciate the folks who just wish to replace beaten air coolers and radiators. Sorry, not for me.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
911 looks better without the grilles - but that is personal opinion as others may like it.

I find grilles hideous because these holes are the coolest part of the car. Most F cars and L cars don't have the stupid grilles

Unless you live in a place like mars with lots of flying rocks and gravels in a dust storm, just take them out since you don't like it. Why putting something that you don't like on your car? Life is too short.

PF

Agreed. Just buy a comb and straighten the fins periodically, you need to fish out all the leaves and cig butts that get in there anyway!

Rennlines look the best out of the options available IMO.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 02-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Rennline grills look much better but are considerably more effort to instal with the required bumper removal. Very happy with mine.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nino do you start looking have your set. PM me.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 300 Posts

I went with the Rennline. I preferred the mesh pattern and overall look over the Zunsport. If you are planning on tracking the car at all you need these.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled em off. Just too ugly IMO. I will live with the crap getting caught inside.. Its a hotrod only, not a DD. Ill keep em for a bit, but likely going to flog the set. I bought the full set, center one never installed, the rest have 2 hours on em.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rennline Grills are the best! Bumper removal yes, but look factory, I would be worried those would rub the paint eventually, plus I feel they look cheap. Just my honest opinion. Took me 3 hours to install Rennline grills
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Metal 951
I installed these zunsport grilles for the obvious protection that they deliver.. Nice fit, easy install... But not crazy about the look! I liked the look of the bumper without them, but obviously wasn't crazy about the prospect of beat up cooling fins. Are these rads consumable? How beat do they get with no protection? How much for new ones?
I actually like the look of the bumper without almost enough to deal with the consequences. But how dire could they be if the factory spec'd no protection?
I don't know... it doesn't look that bad.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Still working on designing grills for my 2017 C2. As for pratical needs, beyond the occasional rock dings in the radiators, I had to deal with this last fall. After trying to vacuum and then flush out the bodies, the stink was unreal. Had to take off the bumper to clean--and I do not want to do that after every drive.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Still working on designing grills for my 2017 C2. As for pratical needs, beyond the occasional rock dings in the radiators, I had to deal with this last fall. After trying to vacuum and then flush out the bodies, the stink was unreal. Had to take off the bumper to clean--and I do not want to do that after every drive.

Yipes! That's a graveyard!! Maybe a shopvac instead of bumper removal?
I get the reasons to install the grilles, just took away from the look of the front end.. Id like to see what you design
Old 02-10-2018, 08:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Get a MasterBlaster for the win. Very easy to keep the rads clean with it. I like the way the grills look, but to me they are just going to make the debris smaller (act like a cheese grater) and then even harder to clean out (since the grills get in the way to blow them clear). With my PowerKit, the center rad takes a bit of a beating, but a very quick and easy paint re-spray every other year has worked perfectly, and seems lasts longer than the OE coating.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't like the looks, and you add weight and loose aero flow with them
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Rennline grills look much better but are considerably more effort to instal with the required bumper removal. Very happy with mine.
+1
Old 02-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Here are my just installed Rennline using only the the outside pieces of the kit. They are almost invisible unless you are looking for them, and don't alter the OEM lines of the bumper at all.

Quick Reply: On the fence about the front grilles I added to my GTS...