Sponsored by:

After market back up camera and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default After market back up camera and warranty

I am looking at a 2014 911 TTS that did not come with a factory installed back up camera. I am looking at having one installed that would integrate with the Parking Assist Screen, but am being told this may void the warranty. Is this correct?

Last edited by Top Jimmy; 02-06-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a 2013C2S with after market front and rear camera integrated into PCM installed. My dealer has no problem with warranty on the car. However, PCM malfunction I think it would be at dealer's discretion.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

How hard was it to find someone that could install it and integrate the camera into the PCM?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I did the NavTV and used a shop my dealer recommended. No warranty issues.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Reference the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act for more detailed info on this particular situation. In a nutshell, it states:

"No manufacturer can deny a warranty claim based on aftermarket work unless it can be proven that the aftermarket component was the sole cause of the failure in question"

Now, partnering with a high-quality shop that stands behind their work is another important element here. If for some reason the aftermarket work does cause an issue, you'll need to know you can trust the shop you're working with to make things right. We install a good amount of both rear and front cameras in P-Cars all the time and have never had an issue. If you let me know where you're located geographically I might have someone I can recommend in your area!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:47 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
How hard was it to find someone that could install it and integrate the camera into the PCM?
Asked my dealer and went with a quality shop they recommended.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why on earth would a backup cam VOID WARRANTY?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My understanding is there are 2 levels of adding a backup camera to the car. The first level, which will not void any warrantees, is simply adding a backup camera and using something like NavTV to integrate it into the PCM screen. This is plug and play, and requires no real modifications. However, for the second level, you can also modify your PCM so the predictive lines appear and turn with the wheel. This requires a small PCM modification and will likely void your warrantee only on the PCM itself.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts
Default After market back up camera and warranty

I wasn't aware the market was back up yet, nor if it was, how that would affect your camera and warranty.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Reference the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act for more detailed info on this particular situation. In a nutshell, it states:

"No manufacturer can deny a warranty claim based on aftermarket work unless it can be proven that the aftermarket component was the sole cause of the failure in question"

Now, partnering with a high-quality shop that stands behind their work is another important element here. If for some reason the aftermarket work does cause an issue, you'll need to know you can trust the shop you're working with to make things right. We install a good amount of both rear and front cameras in P-Cars all the time and have never had an issue. If you let me know where you're located geographically I might have someone I can recommend in your area!

Vehicle is going to be in Dallas and Vegas. If there is someone you can recommend, that would be great!

-TJ
Old 02-08-2018, 11:16 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

No issues. Use the NavTV module. I just did it in my car. My dealer and service manager do them all the time. He just has to charge me the uncharge so he gave me the guys contact and I just went directly to him.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Vehicle is going to be in Dallas and Vegas. If there is someone you can recommend, that would be great!

-TJ
Soundscape Car Audio in Carrollton, TX would be my best recommendation. Ask for Dan.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Soundscape Car Audio in Carrollton, TX would be my best recommendation. Ask for Dan.

Perfect. Thanks.

-TJ

Quick Reply: After market back up camera and warranty