Sponsored by:

Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Hahaha, well... CA roads have epic potential with respect to scenery, elevation changes, etc. However, they are all poorly maintained, aside from a few rare examples such as I-280 on the Bay Area peninsula. The 280 North-South analogues on the East Bay side (880, 680) follow the norm and are horrendous. Going into the San Joaquin Valley? Forget it. Aside, if you'd like to see some perfectly maintained roads, I propose Middle Tennessee, Williamson County.
Listen to him. The roads are horrible. You’ll hate it here. Don’t come. 😬
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Frankly, there is nothing special about the GTS models except for the slight power bump. If one wants the options bundled in the GTS package, then it makes sense to save some money and buy the GTS. Otherwise, the S can be optioned a la carte with the same options.
The only special cars are the GT3, or the Turbo S and their variants.
I guess it depends on how you define special. The GTS, 50th, and Club Coupes are the only way to get the wide body in a RWD Carrera. Granted, its not that much wider, but the lower strakes make a difference visually. The power kit was an 18K option, combine that with the sport design package, PSE and other standard options on the GTS, and its much cheaper than building a similar Carrera S. My 991S was specced by the original owner with the power kit, SPASM, PDCC, Aero Kit, 18 way sport seats, Sport Design package and was way more expensive than a similar spec GTS.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Hahaha, well... CA roads have epic potential with respect to scenery, elevation changes, etc. However, they are all poorly maintained, aside from a few rare examples such as I-280 on the Bay Area peninsula. The 280 North-South analogues on the East Bay side (880, 680) follow the norm and are horrendous. Going into the San Joaquin Valley? Forget it. Aside, if you'd like to see some perfectly maintained roads, I propose Middle Tennessee, Williamson County.
I-280???? You need to get out more. Try highway 120, 32, 70 in the Sierras or 89 on the West side of Tahoe, or Avenue of the Giants and bounce some PSE off some Redwoods.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I-280???? You need to get out more. Try highway 120, 32, 70 in the Sierras or 89 on the West side of Tahoe, or Avenue of the Giants and bounce some PSE off some Redwoods.
I won't argue that I need to get out more. Thanks for the suggestions of some good driving roads in CA, as I suspected there would be with some research. The roads that aren't beat down from decades of rush-hour or logging truck use are, I'm sure, magnificent. It doesn't negate the reality that the majority of roads in CA are thread bare and miserable, by default.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I won't argue that I need to get out more. Thanks for the suggestions of some good driving roads in CA, as I suspected there would be with some research. The roads that aren't beat down from decades of rush-hour or logging truck use are, I'm sure, magnificent. It doesn't negate the reality that the majority of roads in CA are thread bare and miserable, by default.
Hah true that’s why the best roads are the ones that don’t really go anywhere popular. A good day’s drive from the Bay is take 50 and cut down to 88 (FYI Cooper in Plymouth is the best winery), drive that up to South Lake (49 too much traffic so not as good), take 89 up, can stop for food at River Ranch Lodge south of Squaw or Christy Hill Restaurant in Tahoe City or if you like beer FiftyFifty in Truckee has the world’s best it’s called Eclipse, continue up on 89 past 80, take 49 down from 89 to Grass Valley, lots of places to eat there and Nevada City.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Dewinator - Awesome, thanks! I will try that route out this summer, I hope.

Pardon my interruption. Let's please resume the regularly scheduled thread topic...
Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

JEllis - well said. The GTS most certainly does have at least one attribute that cannot be specc'd on a Carrera S - the wide rear end. It is not only a visual upgrade but it makes the car even more planted in twists and turns. And yes, an S specc'd to a GTS's capabilities with the power kit is significantly more pricey than simply getting the GTS and you lose out on the larger rear end.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by JEllis
I guess it depends on how you define special. The GTS, 50th, and Club Coupes are the only way to get the wide body in a RWD Carrera. Granted, its not that much wider, but the lower strakes make a difference visually. The power kit was an 18K option, combine that with the sport design package, PSE and other standard options on the GTS, and its much cheaper than building a similar Carrera S. My 991S was specced by the original owner with the power kit, SPASM, PDCC, Aero Kit, 18 way sport seats, Sport Design package and was way more expensive than a similar spec GTS.
If one is going to get the options that are standard in the GTS model, then it makes sense to buy that car as you pointed out. My C4S also had the wide body and there some folks like me who think the S models represent the sweet spot in the lineup. One can option these cars as one pleases. In my case I didn't want the sport exhaust, center lock wheels, alcantara, the protruding front fascia, the black accents, the sport steeering wheel or SPASM. So happy with my choice. I am sure I am not the only one. So if I was looking was a used 911, I wouldn't pay extra for the GTS. And I can't be the only one.
Now the GT3 is a special model and seems to hold its value.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Hah true that’s why the best roads are the ones that don’t really go anywhere popular. A good day’s drive from the Bay is take 50 and cut down to 88 (FYI Cooper in Plymouth is the best winery), drive that up to South Lake (49 too much traffic so not as good), take 89 up, can stop for food at River Ranch Lodge south of Squaw or Christy Hill Restaurant in Tahoe City or if you like beer FiftyFifty in Truckee has the world’s best it’s called Eclipse, continue up on 89 past 80, take 49 down from 89 to Grass Valley, lots of places to eat there and Nevada City.
Have you eaten at River Ranch lately? Last time we were there (this winter) the food was terrible (service wasn't much better). Wifey checked it out on Yelp - OMG!

We're sticking to the punch out on the deck during the summer only going forward!

Love the drive around the lake when there's nothing else going on.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Plenty of places to ride too! Some of the best mountain biking in the world.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I see GTS values heading downhill: I am starting to see higher mileage CPO cars (20-30K) in the high 90's. It seems the GTS depreciation is in line with other carrera models, unlike the 997 GTS, of which there weren't many made.

Did anyone see that gorgeous Sapphire Blue Aerokit manual with 69,000 miles for sale for $85,000? Nice build, and according to a guy here who saw the car, in great shape. Mileage is higher, but price is lower, especially for a $145k build. I would drive her!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDCR
Have you eaten at River Ranch lately? Last time we were there (this winter) the food was terrible (service wasn't much better). Wifey checked it out on Yelp - OMG!
It’s been a few years... I appreciate the update though scratch that place!

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Plenty of places to ride too! Some of the best mountain biking in the world.
Yesssss!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I see GTS values heading downhill: I am starting to see higher mileage CPO cars (20-30K) in the high 90's. It seems the GTS depreciation is in line with other carrera models, unlike the 997 GTS, of which there weren't many made.
Yeah the prices won’t hit bottom until they’re ~20 years old so like 2035... personally I’d get a 997 GT3 for ~$120K range over a 991 GTS, initial cost might be slightly more but depreciation will be shallower.

Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!