Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
lol

"Don't sell your GTS"6 months later....

That was my experience 6 months ago at the dealer. I'll see what he says now about this!

As I see it:
>100 Sell
< 95 Hold
95-100 = Gray Zone
Old 02-09-2018, 11:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

When I sold my 2012 GTS (997) I noticed that the GTS only matter to enthusiast ...most guys that "just want a 911 Porsche...dont really know or care....however I do and buy GTS models....until I can get a GT3.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, the market for n/a is a niche. The mainstream do not care as much as the die hard enthusiasts.

Hence, the pricing of these cars is dependent on what auctions are bringing in.

If you do a search as to what your cars are fetching retail. Take all the numbers, find the average, subtract $10k - that is the wholesale pricing (+/- 3k)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideEwok
Unfortunately, the market for n/a is a niche. The mainstream do not care as much as the die hard enthusiasts.

Hence, the pricing of these cars is dependent on what auctions are bringing in.

If you do a search as to what your cars are fetching retail. Take all the numbers, find the average, subtract $10k - that is the wholesale pricing (+/- 3k)
To the best of my knowledge, the selling price of cars is not available to the general public. It's easy enough to determine asking prices, not so much for selling prices. Moreover, the Porsche dealers near me, price their used cars unrealistically. I see many three year old Porsches with asking prices that are only about 20% lower than the original sticker.

I agree with others about KBB prices being inflated. Unless the dealer is going to retail your car, he's going to call to get its auction price, and then deduct a few hundred dollars from that price for his troubles. Moreover even if the dealer retails your car, he's going to try to buy it for the lowest possible price, just like we do when we buy a car.

The GTS from my perspective is one of the finest sports cars that you can buy. By far the best financial course of action is to keep the car for at least six years, preferably longer, and then you have a great car that doesn't cost that much when you spread the depreciation over six or more years.The worst case is to sell every three years or less. You just have to check out the leasing price for a GTS to see how expensive that can be.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:52 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
I recently thought about selling or trading my GTS Coupe based on the current Trade In Values I saw on KBB ranging from 95K - 101K.

The MSRP of my car was 133K and it was purchased new for 122K. I felt if I got 100K after 19 Months And 20,000 Miles, it would be a good deal, particularly since I shared this car with my dad and he chipped in 5K, my net cost was $117k. Even the low end of KBB would be a good deal on a trade to offset the tax difference.

As of this past Friday and Saturday:
CarMax Offer = 81K
BMW Dealer against trade for X1 = "Mid 80's"

I was expecting KBB values and completely shocked at the values that they came back with.
Especially with all the talk about the GTS being special.

I ended up leasing the X1 and just keeping the GTS for now at least for the spring and summer and then reevaluate the market.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Anyone know the current auction values?

That was the lowest lowball number I have seen especially since I see these at asking prices around $110+ online.

Wanted to share and get your feedback!
reality is, Carmax was too generous in their offer lol
Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

If you don’t like wasting money, NEVER trade your car into a dealer, unless you live in a state that offers huge tax incentives. I sold my Macan for $10K more than a dealer offered me. And that was on a $50somethingK car. 991.1 GTS prices have been holding very strong, and will likely continue to hold strong into the future.

That dealer that offered you $80whateverK will list it for $100+K.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I sell my cars on consignment. The consignment dealer tells me how much he thinks the car is worth and how much his fee is. I found this to be the best option if you have the pink slip, have time to sell the car, and don't want to deal with private bottom dwellers. May not make as much as a private sale but I don't have headaches and don't feel being cheated if I was doing a trade in.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:49 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To repeat what's been said, to a dealer, your car, as a trade, is only worth the auction price. Any dealer.

The reason for that is the dealer profit is tied to your car. He makes nothing until he sells your car. And if he needs immediate cash, he has to turn your car to cash ASAP and the auction is where he can do that.

If you need to sell your car to a dealer, normally, your best bet is selling it to a dealer who sells that brand. But even that possibility will depend on what the dealer inventory looks like. If the dealer offers below auction price, he does not want your car.

If you decide to sell your car yourself, remember, examine the prices of your competition. Research prices for the years around your cars age on the usual websites, Autotrader, CARS.com, etc., then, price accordingly.

Do not reject Craigslist.as a place to sell. It's free and you will get lots more responses from Craigslist than the others. Yes, you'll get people looking to get it for a low price; but, you'll also get serious buyers. Learn how to say no in a respectful manner and just keep moving. And welcome to the world of car sales. Will you measure up?
Good luck with it!
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I worry about the net difference on these transactions. Low ball me on my car but sell yours at wholesale and I'm good. If you're charging me retail then better step up your offer on mine.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Latest Update for those keeping track of values:

Real life data point:
2016 GTS Coupe MSRP $133,070
Purchased new for $122,000 including 2yr Maintenance on 6/20/2016.

Sold to a Porsche Dealer (not the selling dealer) with No Trade by one email and a few pictures only.

Date of Sale = 2/17/2018
20 Months and 20,500 Miles Later.

Sale Price = $101,000

This was in my 6 figure threshold to sell, so I decided to part with the vehicle, although I did have second thoughts about keeping it since the value apparently holds very well.

In any event I'll save:
$911/Month on Car Loan. (Intentional $)
$236/Month on Insurance.
$420/Month on Parking (when in NY)

So as I figure the savings add up since I anticipate diminishing usage this year. I also have a potential tax credit available for 6 months possibly longer, in the event I stick with another Porsche.

I still have a bucket list to fill in the future:
NSX, Ferrari, & Lamborghini.

Let's see how long before I need to scratch the itch

I think that I got a very good deal.

Thanks everyone for participating and providing your input and I hope this helps others to gauge the value of their vehicles!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^ You did VERY well. Nice job
Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

What is the sales tax on a new vehicle purchase in NY?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
Varies slightly depending on the county, but 8.875% in NYC. Insane.

It should also be mentioned that in NY, you pay sales tax on ALL car purchases, new or used.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=What+is+t...chase+in+NY%3F
Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce
Varies slightly depending on the county, but 8.875% in NYC. Insane.

It should also be mentioned that in NY, you pay sales tax on ALL car purchases, new or used.
Insane... I live in CA. Yes, use tax applies on used car purchases as well.

This often gets overlooked when people are selling a car and calculating their loss. The purchase price is whatever they paid +/- 10% in high tax states. I think the bump on a new car purchase in CA is around 13%, but I try to not look at it for fear of entering a deep state of discontent about how little my tax dollars get me in this state.

Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!