Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

A 2016 low mileage clean 991.1 GTS Manual for those prices is a tremendous value. Buyer's market. You were smart not giving it away.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:14 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I think if you're trading a Porsche for a Porsche and the dealer you're trading to wants the inventory, you're likely to do OK. Otherwise, they'll just low ball you all day long. They know how hard it is to sell private party in that price point.

I think if auction value brought $93k for similar mileage -with- a manual trans... that probably puts a PDK car lower. But could be wrong. Either way, seems like a high risk car for a dealer just to buy out right and get stuck with for a while in winter. Probably why you got low balled.

I remember when I was trying to trade my TTS. Yeah, that sucked.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:49 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

It's really not shocking. The only time you have any negotiating power is if you're also buying a car from the dealership you're peddling to AND they want the inventory. CarMax has a simple formula they go by - the people you're angry at there have zero power to give you more.
And a dealer you're trading to, if they don't want your car on their lot, they go by auction prices or whatever their buddy the used car guy at dealership X (your brand of car) will give them for it. Very straightforward really.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed911
Wonder what mine would bring. A 2016 with 1,800 miles?
Whatever it would bring, sadly, your cost-per-mile-of-enjoyment is going to be waaaaaaay higher than those who put some miles on theirs.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone had a machine that generated the thrill of owning super cars, boats, homes, jewelry, sugar daddy girls etc. The price to enjoy that 'sensation' would be more then what you 'loose' from market sale depreciation. In fact (fantasy) you would be much richer for owning such a machine.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
If someone had a machine that generated the thrill of owning super cars, boats, homes, jewelry, sugar daddy girls etc. The price to enjoy that 'sensation' would be more then what you 'loose' from market sale depreciation. In fact (fantasy) you would be much richer for owning such a machine.
Total Recall!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:19 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not having AWD in the northeast is going to affect resale value. Try making a deal with southern dealers. Florida and California.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:51 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sold a 2013 PDK C2 991 with 15K miles at cars.com in 3 days for exactly what I was asking in 2015. Had to ignore a few scammers. Nothing beats a face-to-face sale at a branch of the bank that issues the buyer's check.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Sold a 2013 PDK C2 991 with 15K miles at cars.com in 3 days for exactly what I was asking in 2015. Had to ignore a few scammers. Nothing beats a face-to-face sale at a branch of the bank that issues the buyer's check.
I've bought that way, and I was the one suggesting they meet me at my bank with the car so they could see the bank creating the cashier's check. All went well.

I've also sold online through Rennlist marketplace and through eBay (although not a Porsche in that case.) Both times the out-of state buyers sent me the funds far enough in advance that my bank could confirm the actual existence of the funds and credit me irrevocably (several days), before the buyer picked up the car.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Total Recall!
Haha Quaid! Start the reactor!!!

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Not having AWD in the northeast is going to affect resale value. Try making a deal with southern dealers. Florida and California.
I’m not sure I agree... some buyers there will want it of course but I think most 911 drivers just plan to take something else when it’s snowy.

There’s always the extra SoCal premium of course so they might go for a bit more there just because everything is more expensive.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:49 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
I told him $95K bottom line for the trade which translates to a sale price of $98,800 accounting for tax savings.

Maybe I'll see what the dealer says.
Not much of a private party seller, but a good idea. Let's see.
Consign it. Places will take 5-6% on a car like that. Nothing really, if they can sell it for $110-115k.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

Keep it. Why would you want to sale a new car?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

lol

"Don't sell your GTS"
As per my dealer.

Stopped in while driving by to get a quick wash (I know I am not supposed to do this!!!)

Sat down and had a nice chat with my SA, who was fielding many phone calls at the time, mostly from customers needing new tires, he was recommending Michelins to everyone.

As we spoke he mentioned that I should NOT consider getting rid of my vehicle (2016 991.1 GTS) anytime soon as there are several customers calling in and stopping by looking specifically for the 991.1 GTS. He further stated the prices are holding very strong.

Hopefully it stays this way.

Sometimes I do get the itch to jump into another vehicle! I walked around the lot. The Targa cars look very nice. In retrospect I sometimes wonder that I should have bought a Targa 4GTS. Let's see what the future holds.

Anyone with similar experience, information, or first hand experience in regards to getting a good or greater than expected value for the vehicle?

Thought I would share and pass along this info.
6 months later....

I recently thought about selling or trading my GTS Coupe based on the current Trade In Values I saw on KBB ranging from 95K - 101K.

The MSRP of my car was 133K and it was purchased new for 122K. I felt if I got 100K after 19 Months And 20,000 Miles, it would be a good deal, particularly since I shared this car with my dad and he chipped in 5K, my net cost was $117k. Even the low end of KBB would be a good deal on a trade to offset the tax difference.

As of this past Friday and Saturday:
CarMax Offer = 81K
BMW Dealer against trade for X1 = "Mid 80's"

I was expecting KBB values and completely shocked at the values that they came back with.
Especially with all the talk about the GTS being special.

I ended up leasing the X1 and just keeping the GTS for now at least for the spring and summer and then reevaluate the market.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Anyone know the current auction values?

That was the lowest lowball number I have seen especially since I see these at asking prices around $110+ online.

Wanted to share and get your feedback!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Consign it. Places will take 5-6% on a car like that. Nothing really, if they can sell it for $110-115k.
Great Idea. No Harm.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Keep it. Why would you want to sale a new car?

Good Question. Still undecided about it.

Anticipating probable decrease of driving, the only intention to purchase is to drive it!

Can't seem to hold cars too long.
However I am sure the itch to buy another car would inevitably return, however If I can hold off about 1.5 - 2 years, it would be a good value.

Strong sale figure would lead me to sell.

Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!