Notices
Sponsored by:

Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Dewinator
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS View Post
In regards to the build it was perfect for me, but I get your point. Thanks.
Why would you want to get rid of it then? For me, if I ever get rid of my 991, the only reason will be because the options aren't quite right (I have PDK, a sunroof, and no leather interior). Otherwise it would be a forever car for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
User

[QUOTE=Bud Taylor;14784007]I prefer selling my car private party. Any 10 year old can spot a scam and merely putting at the bottom of the ad "scammers will be dealt with harshly" deters any nigerian princes from stealing your Porsche. I take very good care of my car and I'm honest. I appreciate the interaction with another car enthusiast and the fact I am taking money from the scam artist stealership.

I've sold a bunch of cars privately. Usually, they are older, selling for a lot less money and way past warranty. In this case, the OP's GTS is only a few years old and near $100k in value. So the private seller at this level is competing with CPO, dealer financing, professional reconditioning, easy registration, easy title transfer and the knowledge that the dealer will be there. Real buyers are scarce for newer cars, and what's plentiful are those that want to scam you (and yes, I can spot them). I will say though, that if you are patient and have a good network, you can sell.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 PM
AlBinVA
User

There has been a tremendous amount of discussion in Rennlist 991 threads (especially .1 vs .2 threads) touting the the NA 991 GTS as the car to own for resale value. Sometimes you read stuff over and over and it seems to take on a sense of reality. All these posters can't be wrong!!! I have no opinion of resale on your specific car because I have not done any resale research on that 991 variant. My experience with most cars I have sold is that carmax, auctions and dealers will offer consistent values (wholesale) because they are a business and have zero emotion in the deal. If you go that route, expect to get a price in that range. Private party is a bit more difficult and a bit more work, but will yield a higher price. You are also dealing in a more restricted market due to the price point. Ultimately, the market will tell you the price. Then it becomes a business decision as to whether you sell or keep it. If you are financially able, I would keep it. It is an awesome car. Good luck whichever route you take.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 PM
FiveRiversGTS
User

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Your build was fine and shouldn't affect resale. Sounds like a very nice car that shouldn't be hard to sell. The colors you selected are popular, PDK is very popular with buyers, most buyers won't have a clue about PSP (and it is popular enough that many are equipped with it, including my last two 991's and my ordered 991), sunroofs are very popular and glass is the best option for black (blends in perfectly with the color of the car!), and carbon fiber is really nice trim that looks much better than the standard trim on base and S model Carreras. And you have Bose, which is also very popular over the base stereo.

Also in your favor, you have a relatively short option list - you would lose more on more expensive options in depreciation, so you avoided this pretty well.

As others have said, KBB is useless, CARMAX will offer bottom dollar, and the BMW dealer is trying to get is as cheaply as possible (maybe you got a great deal on the car you are buying and they are trying to recoup as much $$$ as possible?) and might just send your car to auction anyways.

Have you tried to sell it to a Porsche dealer? (If you have and I missed it in this thread, I apologize.) I could see them wanting to CPO it and sell it for more than the BMW dealer would be able to get for it.

Good luck!
Thanks Your right on target with your assessment.

I will ask the Porsche Dealer for an appraisal when I get a chance soon at the 20,000 mile service to see what figure they come back with.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:42 PM
FiveRiversGTS
User

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Why would you want to get rid of it then? For me, if I ever get rid of my 991, the only reason will be because the options aren't quite right (I have PDK, a sunroof, and no leather interior). Otherwise it would be a forever car for me.
Well not trying to actively sell. It's a great car and the best I have ever driven. However I would've sold it it if my expectations of the 100K had held up. I guess the value of that figure would incline me to sell it.

It's a second car driven once in a while strictly for pleasure about 2-3x a Month on lengthy trips when I have the chance.

I just can't hold a car for too long! Definitely Not forever. Maximum would be to end of warranty.

Let's see what happens. Thanks
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Green & Silver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Per today's 2-7-18 Manheim Market Report there were 5 2016 GTS cars that have run through the auction and sold. The latest ran on 1-18-19 at the big PA auction and it brought $93K across the block. It was black, had 19165 miles on it and the transmission was listed as a '7' which leads me to believe it was a manual since all of the others, except one, have an 'A' listed as the transmission. One, a white one, ran on 12-14-17 through the Riverside auction with 14415 miles and it brought $95K and was a PDK. On 7-16-17 the other car, also black, listed as a '7' (presumably manual) hammered at $107K at the PA sale. Back on 5-17-17 a silver, 8900 mile example sold for $109K in Palm Beach and the farthest back was on 2-9-17, which only had 1865 miles and it went for $116K, and it too was white.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM
raidersfan
Addict
Rennlist Member

What were you hoping to get on trade? $90K? List it here for $95 and I bet you get a sale at asking.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:11 PM
FiveRiversGTS
User

Originally Posted by Green & Silver
Per today's 2-7-18 Manheim Market Report there were 5 2016 GTS cars that have run through the auction and sold. The latest ran on 1-18-19 at the big PA auction and it brought $93K across the block. It was black, had 19165 miles on it and the transmission was listed as a '7' which leads me to believe it was a manual since all of the others, except one, have an 'A' listed as the transmission. One, a white one, ran on 12-14-17 through the Riverside auction with 14415 miles and it brought $95K and was a PDK. On 7-16-17 the other car, also black, listed as a '7' (presumably manual) hammered at $107K at the PA sale. Back on 5-17-17 a silver, 8900 mile example sold for $109K in Palm Beach and the farthest back was on 2-9-17, which only had 1865 miles and it went for $116K, and it too was white.
Thank You. I appreciate your input and effort and for sharing.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 PM
MJBird993
User

Here's my take:

Options mean nothing when it comes to trade. If it's a bad color or needs some refurbishment (think buggered wheels, dents, torn seats, etc.) then that will knock down the price, otherwise they look at auction prices and those generally don't indicate the deluxe carbon fiber package or PDLS or anything else. Most 911s have sunroofs and premium and a few other things, so that's now the "average".

Expecting your car to be at the top end of the KBB range just because it's your car and nothing else, is not being realistic.

As mentioned by others, selling a sports car in winter (especially in NYC) is going to be a challenge. So the dealers consider that in their offers, I'm sure.

And finally, selling a $100K car as a private party is tougher than you may wish. Those that can easily afford $100K often prefer to spend a few more dollars and just buy new. Others have to get financed, want extended warranties, etc. and that's much easier to do at the dealer, one-stop shopping and all that.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Green & Silver
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are welcome.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM
FiveRiversGTS
User

Originally Posted by raidersfan
What were you hoping to get on trade? $90K? List it here for $95 and I bet you get a sale at asking.
I told him $95K bottom line for the trade which translates to a sale price of $98,800 accounting for tax savings.

Maybe I'll see what the dealer says.
Not much of a private party seller, but a good idea. Let's see.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Randy M
Super User

Rennlist has been a great site to sell two of the 911's I've had in the past. Members here are usually serious, no BS professional people when looking for a Porsche for sale.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
oceancarrera
User

I have shopped around for multiple type/brand cars forever. All of them take a hit on mostly high end cars at the beginning for most. Porsche's hold price the best after they level off. Then they don't move down too much after that. Everyone wants a Porsche or Mercedes. The rest take hits forever. You can get an Audi A8 for almost nothing these days with low mileage. They are fast and they handle for example.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Andial
Banned

But CarMax has a bumper to bumper warranty.
Have you looked a Bring A Trailer?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 PM
BigRed911
User

Default Wonder what my 2016 would bring with only 1,800 miles?

We ne'er what mine would bring. A 2016 with 1,800 miles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: