Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:59 AM
Noah Fect
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51 View Post
Can you say deuche-inator!
Hey, I'm sure the connoisseurs at CarMax have strong opinions about the ennui of PDK, the Weltschmerz of glass sunroofs, and the patronizing lack of steering effort at parking-lot speeds.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don’t waste your time with KBB. Means noting to any dealer.

Go go by the auction results posted above. That’s what dealers are paying for cars.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM
NiteJav
User

They were in full stealership mode. Manheim average was 94.8k (for a 2015 GTS) with 22k miles. 16's do not have enough data but are in a similar range. If Carmax contacts you again about the trade serve them up a hearty bowl of go f*ck your self. Tell them they are thieves or they have the dumbest/uninformed used car manager in the history of their franchise. If they came in at 91-93k thats one thing, but trying to score an 20k markup or a 15k minimum auction exit is crazy. Different story if this was a 250k car, risk goes up etc, but this is under 6 figs.

Rattle off the manheim auction results posted earlier. I remember when I negotiated for my Porsche (at a Porsche dealer) they low balled my trade, and then suddenly changed their tune when I told them how far off they were from manheim. It wasn't as bad as this (6k lower then manheim).
Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 AM
PJ Cayenne
User

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Don’t waste your time with KBB. Means noting to any dealer.

Go go by the auction results posted above. That’s what dealers are paying for cars.
+1- years ago I had a silly idea to trade in a year old BMW and move on to something else. Dealer's offer was $10k below my expectation. I told him that he was at least $10k below KBB, he said "well I'm the guy writing the check". Nuff said, learning experience. If you trade in your car, get something for it...like the convenience of working with your local dealer, getting rid of a hard to sell vehicle or something fairly new, or being able to jump on that allocation or lot car with the right options. Selling cars privately kind of sucks- all those guys at overseas military installations with no phones that want your PayPal account number really puts a damper on your selling expectations. When you do the math with the sales tax advantage, no public to deal with or phonies, sometimes it makes sense. Always buy with the knowledge that it is worth the wholesale trade in when its time to let it go.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Condition may be a factor too. I don't know the car and have never seen it nor do I have any opinion on the actual condition. But, sometimes we think our cars are in better condition that what they are when we sell.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Dewinator
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51 View Post
Can you say deuche-inator!
Hehe did you mean douche-inator or Deutsche-inator?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 AM
FiveRiversGTS
User

Yes I will definitely go by the auction prices since those are real hard numbers.

In regards to the build it was perfect for me, but I get your point. Thanks.

Yes CarMax is out the door for me.

As for condition it is maintained properly by the local reputable dealer and in great operating condition. No mechanical issues. In regards to the exterior though it has been hand washed by the dealer and no other fancy protection like the rest of you guys have. I am sure that will be frowned upon by the Rennlist crew!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Hurricane
Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS View Post
Yes I will definitely go by the auction prices since those are real hard numbers.

In regards to the build it was perfect for me, but I get your point. Thanks.

Yes CarMax is out the door for me.

As for condition it is maintained properly by the local reputable dealer and in great operating condition. No mechanical issues. In regards to the exterior though it has been hand washed by the dealer and no other fancy protection like the rest of you guys have. I am sure that will be frowned upon by the Rennlist crew!
Your build was fine and shouldn't affect resale. Sounds like a very nice car that shouldn't be hard to sell. The colors you selected are popular, PDK is very popular with buyers, most buyers won't have a clue about PSP (and it is popular enough that many are equipped with it, including my last two 991's and my ordered 991), sunroofs are very popular and glass is the best option for black (blends in perfectly with the color of the car!), and carbon fiber is really nice trim that looks much better than the standard trim on base and S model Carreras. And you have Bose, which is also very popular over the base stereo.

Also in your favor, you have a relatively short option list - you would lose more on more expensive options in depreciation, so you avoided this pretty well.

As others have said, KBB is useless, CARMAX will offer bottom dollar, and the BMW dealer is trying to get is as cheaply as possible (maybe you got a great deal on the car you are buying and they are trying to recoup as much $$$ as possible?) and might just send your car to auction anyways.

Have you tried to sell it to a Porsche dealer? (If you have and I missed it in this thread, I apologize.) I could see them wanting to CPO it and sell it for more than the BMW dealer would be able to get for it.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While KBB is meaningless I suspect that the Porsche dealer won't be considerably more big unless you are trading it against a 911R or something.

One - they know they too will have to discount the GTS to sell it. I looked at one that I didn't particularly want . It was over 100 ask. I last saw it when they offered it at 86. So they weren't completely wrong on their trade. Good if you can get 100 but Im just saying.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Bud Taylor
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DISAGREE

I prefer selling my car private party. Any 10 year old can spot a scam and merely putting at the bottom of the ad "scammers will be dealt with harshly" deters any nigerian princes from stealing your Porsche. I take very good care of my car and I'm honest. I appreciate the interaction with another car enthusiast and the fact I am taking money from the scam artist stealership.

QUOTE=PJ Cayenne;14783659]+1- years ago I had
a silly idea to trade in a year old BMW and move on to something else. Dealer's offer was $10k below my expectation. I told him that he was at least $10k below KBB, he said "well I'm the guy writing the check". Nuff said, learning experience. If you trade in your car, get something for it...like the convenience of working with your local dealer, getting rid of a hard to sell vehicle or something fairly new, or being able to jump on that allocation or lot car with the right options. Selling cars privately kind of sucks- all those guys at overseas military installations with no phones that want your PayPal account number really puts a damper on your selling expectations. When you do the math with the sales tax advantage, no public to deal with or phonies, sometimes it makes sense. Always buy with the knowledge that it is worth the wholesale trade in when its time to let it go.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM
drcollie
User

Unless a dealer has a buyer looking for your car you are going to get Manheim auction prices for a trade-in value. KBB is a joke, the REAL price setter is what the auctions are bringing. They have instant access to those numbers as they are subscribers, you don't....unless you pay for an account. https://www.manheim.com/

Everyone ALWAYS thinks their stuff is worth more than it is, its human nature. When I want to seriously sell a car, I get the CarMax price, that's my bottom. Then I stick it on Fleabay with No Reserve and start it $ 500 over the Car Mar offer. The Market will then tell you what it will sell for. I sold Mercedes Cab that way and it went $ 12K over the Car Max offer, and also a 993 C4S that went close to $ 22K over the Car Max Price.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Sharm
User

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
Unless a dealer has a buyer looking for your car you are going to get Manheim auction prices for a trade-in value. KBB is a joke, the REAL price setter is what the auctions are bringing. They have instant access to those numbers as they are subscribers, you don't....unless you pay for an account. https://www.manheim.com/

Everyone ALWAYS thinks their stuff is worth more than it is, its human nature. When I want to seriously sell a car, I get the CarMax price, that's my bottom. Then I stick it on Fleabay with No Reserve and start it $ 500 over the Car Mar offer. The Market will then tell you what it will sell for. I sold Mercedes Cab that way and it went $ 12K over the Car Max offer, and also a 993 C4S that went close to $ 22K over the Car Max Price.

Good luck.
How reliable do you think eBay is for telling you the true market value on a 100k car? I'm sure there are a lot of digital tirekickers on there who will bid high but never actually payout.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Highyo
User

does no one use autotrader app? i think it's pretty fantastic. you can drill down pretty deeply into the type of car you want to view, just take 5-8% off from where those cars are offered, and voila theres your value.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:11 PM
drcollie
User

Originally Posted by Sharm View Post
How reliable do you think eBay is for telling you the true market value on a 100k car? I'm sure there are a lot of digital tirekickers on there who will bid high but never actually payout.
Ebay works well for me. I've sold (13) cars and motorcycles on it, 90% of the sales bring more than I thought I would get. I've put two Porsches, one Mercedes and one Aston Martin on there so high end cars can work (the Aston buyer's are very skittish) I always run them at no reserve and put a lot of high quality photos on the ads (not from a cell phone). Works well for me, Never had anyone not follow through on a vehicle auction. You have to be smart enough as the seller to weed out the play bidders based on feedback and cancel their bids. YMMV
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Sharm
User

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
Ebay works well for me. I've sold (13) cars and motorcycles on it, 90% of the sales bring more than I thought I would get. I always run them at no reserve and put a lot of high quality photos on the ads (not from a cell phone). Works well for me, Never had anyone not follow through on a vehicle auction. YMMV
Thanks. Good to know..Not that I'm planning on selling!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: