Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine arrived today - thanks Tom. I will report back on how they go in Oz on the 991.2 T as soon as it arrives.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Also got mine yesterday. They look awesome. Thanks, Tom.

Are the Porsche dealerships mounting the temporary license on the rear or taping them inside the rear windows? I assumed that the temporary license is just paper, so it must be mounted inside the car. But I also seem to recall seeming some photos of 911s with temp licenses mounted at the rear in the usual license spot.

I ask because I'm wondering if I should bring the mounts to the dealership when taking delivery and I can just put them on, with the temp license, then.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom, I should have mentioned that when I picked up my vehicle, I installed these and they are terrific! The dealer was impressed. I did have one question, however - if I have to remove/replace these, what should I replace the sticky tape with?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My Dealer must have drilled holes. When I picked up my new car, it had the dealer plate frame with the temporary license plate.
Only attaches by top 2 holes. I bought a custom license plate frame & when my license plate finally arrived I switched everything out & I used "Zots" Adhesive Dots to stop any rattle or any damage to paint. I used both between license plate back & car & also between Frame back & front of plate.

Similar to these:
https://www.michaels.com/therm-o-web...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got a box decades ago & have used on multiple cars.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
My Dealer must have drilled holes. When I picked up my new car, it had the dealer plate frame with the temporary license plate.
Only attaches by top 2 holes. I bought a custom license plate frame & when my license plate finally arrived I switched everything out & I used "Zots" Adhesive Dots to stop any rattle or any damage to paint. I used both between license plate back & car & also between Frame back & front of plate.

Similar to these:
https://www.michaels.com/therm-o-web...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got a box decades ago & have used on multiple cars.
I sent a bunch of email reminders to my SA to NOT drill holes in the rear. Even provided a condensed delivery checklist to pass along to the service dept. tech prepping the car where that was the first item (second was to set winter tires to comfort settings). And they came through and didn’t drill holes. My temp plate is taped to the rear window for now. Will mount to Tom’s rear mount setup when the real plates arrive.

Not yet sure what I’m doing for the fronts.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Is this just for Turbos and GT3s? Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 03:31 PM
CraigW1
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
Not at all. Should fit well on any US-spec 991. The 911T crowd seems to like them most recently, probably because lots of those cars are shipping now. They are made to fit the raised license plate ridge on the US 991, but I've had friends put them on all sorts of cars.
Fit perfectly on my 2019 991.2 GTS
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

I was doing a waterless wash today, and noticed the two bottom pieces of the mount have detached. The tops still seem stuck on quite firmly.

I may not have prepped the area well enough, although I thought I did. Alternatively, it could be my use of a pressure washer with a foam gun to wash the car and perhaps I’ve been a little overly exhuberant with the area near the rear plate. So I’ll avoid that area with the pressure washer going forward.

I’ll pull the mounts off tomorrow, prep the area even more carefully, and try again with my second set of the mounts.

As for removing the mounts safely, what’s the best approach? Apply some heat?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I cleaned the surface of my newly ordered car at the dealer with alcohol before I drove it home and noticed a couple days ago that the lowers had lifted off as well...plan to see what I can do to correct it.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Yikes, that's the first I've heard of them lifting. Mine are still holding fast. The 3M adhesive is made for this purpose and is supposed to last a long, long time. I know local PPF installers who use it to reinstall factory emblems over the film on very high-end cars, and it gets stellar reviews on Amazon, etc. If it came loose, I wouldn't try to re-use the same tape. My guess is there was wax or silicon or something on the paint that messed with the adhesion. If so, whatever it is probably compromised the stickiness of the tape forever. Also, if it got loose, then dust and debris will probably make it less effective regardless. See link for the tape below and/or PM me and I'll get you some. I also just noticed today that my local Pepboy's had this exact tape on their shelf.

I'd try again using an automotive wax and silicon remover (for example, Griot's Paint Prep) with new tape. 3M recommends a wax and silicon remover to start, followed by alcohol, then the tape. They also say to install above 65 degrees F.

As for getting the old tape off, I've always had luck just peeling at a corner to get it started and then pulling it off like you'd pull a wrapper off sliced cheese. If you have a hard time, a piece of dental floss can be used to "saw" through the tape, which will get the part off. You can then usually rub the rest off your thumb without chemicals. Alcohol will help a bit too. Goof-off, etc. will remove it, but shouldn't be needed and it's probably better not to put that on your paint if at all possible.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-16-2019, 09:41 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Yikes, that's the first I've heard of them lifting. Mine are still holding fast. The 3M adhesive is made for this purpose and is supposed to last a long, long time. I know local PPF installers who use it to reinstall factory emblems over the film on very high-end cars, and it gets stellar reviews on Amazon, etc. If it came loose, I wouldn't try to re-use the same tape. My guess is there was wax or silicon or something on the paint that messed with the adhesion. If so, whatever it is probably compromised the stickiness of the tape forever. Also, if it got loose, then dust and debris will probably make it less effective regardless. See link for the tape below and/or PM me and I'll get you some. I also just noticed today that my local Pepboy's had this exact tape on their shelf.

I'd try again using an automotive wax and silicon remover (for example, Griot's Paint Prep) with new tape. 3M recommends a wax and silicon remover to start, followed by alcohol, then the tape. They also say to install above 65 degrees F.

As for getting the old tape off, I've always had luck just peeling at a corner to get it started and then pulling it off like you'd pull a wrapper off sliced cheese. If you have a hard time, a piece of dental floss can be used to "saw" through the tape, which will get the part off. You can then usually rub the rest off your thumb without chemicals. Alcohol will help a bit too. Goof-off, etc. will remove it, but shouldn't be needed and it's probably better not to put that on your paint if at all possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11135-Silicone-Remover/dp/B004UQQVJY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wax+and+silicone+remover&qid=1552779042&s=gateway&sr =8-3#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=VDW77W5Q7A6P&keywords=3m+super+strength+molding+tape&qid =1552779206&s=gateway&sprefix=3M+super+%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-3#customerReviews
Thanks, Tom. I ordered some of the Griots paint prep. I'll give that a try, plus alcohol. I'll wait for a warm day as well.

It was pretty cold (low 30s) when I installed it. So that might've been part, if not all, of the problem. The top seems pretty well stuck on, so I'll probably leave them, and possibly just use two of the second set I have on the bottom, once I've cleaned and prepped the surface. I can then take my time and try to put new 3M tape on the two lower mounts I'll be removing.

I should point out, that I did use rubbing alcohol to prep the area last time. This time, I'm going to leave the plate off until the adhesive has a bit of time to set against the paint surface on the off-chance that somehow, if the bumper in that area isn't perfectly flat or the license is bowed slightly, the license itself isn't creating torque against the newly attached mounts. Which would explain why the top stuck and the bottom didn't perhaps.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Me, too since I love the way they keep the plate off the car and almost like it is floating! I will do whatever it takes to make them work and the vast majority of people who have used these have not had any problems so we are rare exceptions for sure.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Me, too since I love the way they keep the plate off the car and almost like it is floating! I will do whatever it takes to make them work and the vast majority of people who have used these have not had any problems so we are rare exceptions for sure.
Agreed. I love the mounts.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I just took my plate off and I could see why it came off. My plate does not lie flat due to the way the plates are made so it seems that over time there was too much outward pressure on the lower right corner causing the 3M tape to let go. The tape should still hold IMO but maybe I can reinforce it with some extra tape on the edges of the mount to the car.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

My tape has held strong. But if it fails I would try clear silicone.

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Mount