Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A solution looking for a problem
The following users liked this post:
HkPlinker (01-25-2021)
Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I put the files on thingiverse for anyone who wants to make their own...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2782970
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (11-14-2021)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=Amalgamated Tom;14777838]For those who want a set, let me see how nicely I can print them first. My set works fine but may be too DIY-looking for some. PM me if interested. I'll also post the stl files to thingiverse so people can print their own, or have them printed at a service like www.shapeways.com By the way, I am the original poster in this thread, just responding here under my sponsorship so as not to run afoul of rennlist rules. I actually thought most would think this a solution in search of a problem, as drilling is indeed the perfectly logical solution. I just have a hard time doing that, however irrational...

Are you sure your dealer didn't drill them for you? On my car, and the others I've seen, there are round bosses but no actual holes.
I think you are right, I blew this picture up from when the car arrived and it doesn't appear they were drilled. When I picked the car up it was and had dealer plates. So how did you get the car without them being drilled? did you request it?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

TTSPete, I ordered this car and asked them not to detail it beyond their intake inspection process. I seriously doubt they would have drilled the bumper as a courtesy for my benefit, without asking, since I'm not the only lunatic out there who would prefer no drilling, but can't say for sure. I'm guessing they needed or wanted to drive your car on a public road before it was registered -- can't think of any other reason to put a dealer plate on the car...

p.s. you have impeccable taste in cars...
Old 02-05-2018, 04:37 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
TTSPete, I ordered this car and asked them not to detail it beyond their intake inspection process. I seriously doubt they would have drilled the bumper as a courtesy for my benefit, without asking, since I'm not the only lunatic out there who would prefer no drilling, but can't say for sure. I'm guessing they needed or wanted to drive your car on a public road before it was registered -- can't think of any other reason to put a dealer plate on the car...

p.s. you have impeccable taste in cars...
Thanks, This is what it came with plate wise, don't think they drove it much, only had a couple miles but they were drilled
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTSPete

Thanks, This is what it came with plate wise, don't think they drove it much, only had a couple miles but they were drilled
Oh that! I thought you meant a "dealer plate" so they could drive it without registering it. I'm sure they do this as a win-win -- you don't have to mess with mounting a plate, and they get their name out there. Much better than wondering if they were out giving test drives and whatnot. For reference, mine came off the delivery truck with 12 miles. Nicely spec'd car, would love to see more of the interior...
Old 02-05-2018, 07:11 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Oh that! I thought you meant a "dealer plate" so they could drive it without registering it. I'm sure they do this as a win-win -- you don't have to mess with mounting a plate, and they get their name out there. Much better than wondering if they were out giving test drives and whatnot. For reference, mine came off the delivery truck with 12 miles. Nicely spec'd car, would love to see more of the interior...
Here's the interior shot. I went with yellow gauges to match the calipers.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Super nice. I played around with a very similar look before wimping out and not doing the red inside (other than thread color). Definitely wakes up the cabin and I love the implied message that comes with all-weather floor mats!
Old 02-05-2018, 11:18 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Color me confused. Why would one not want to put screw holes in a place on the rear bumper that will never be seen because...well, you know...a license plate. Looks like nice engineering, but still a solution looking for a problem, is it not?
Because, this:

Originally Posted by LexVan
Looks good. It would keep the area behind the plate from getting abraded. You need to change out your brass looking mounting screws. Black would be much better to match the frame. Or use black plastic screw covers.
Nice work, Tom. I used some spacers to get the lower edge of the plate on my car off the paint.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Nice work, Tom. I used some spacers to get the lower edge of the plate on my car off the paint.
I never really considered screwing the plate directly to the bumper. But thinking about it, maybe that's why Porsche put the raised rectangular ridge there -- to protect the paint around the edges of the plate. But the ridge then becomes sacrificial, and we can't have that
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well I finally got around to permanently installing the plate. I ended up modifying the mounting pieces slightly -- mostly just rounding the corners for a more finished look and ease of printing (less chance of warping at the corners). Once I put them on with the 3M tape and bolted the plate in place, any concern I had about strength went out the window. I swear the bumper would pull off before the plate comes loose. I'll update the .stl files on thingiverse too... Now I'll get started on what to do up front. It seems like there is simply no good place for a plate up front that doesn't block a functional air duct

Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Nice! Does the projection interfere with the rear camera? I know when my license plate is directly screwed into the bumper, the camera picks up a lot of the plate. Wondering if the additional depth will impede its visibility...
Old 02-26-2018, 06:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I like

Eagerly awaiting what you do for the fronts
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Nice! Does the projection interfere with the rear camera? I know when my license plate is directly screwed into the bumper, the camera picks up a lot of the plate. Wondering if the additional depth will impede its visibility...
Thats a good question. Have you tested that?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Here's what it looks like. How does that compare to people who have them mounted directly to the bumper? It stands about 12mm away from the plastic bumper now -- I could probably squeeze that to 8-10 or so, but I do like the buffer zone away from the paint, and don't think this interferes with the rear view in any real way, unless I'm missing something. Anyone have a picture of their back-up view for comparison?

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 02-26-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Mount