PEC Discount Code & experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PEC Discount Code & experience

Hello all,

i am trying to book for march PEC in Atlanta and it had a field for a discount or promo code. has anyone ever used a discount code and if so where can I find one. Also I currently l have a targa GTS 2016 and was considering 991 turbo , targa gts experience.. Which one would you recommend? I have tried the GT3rs in Vegas dream racing. Would trying my car at PEC be most useful?

thank you for any advice.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:29 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I went to PEC ATL and had a blast. The only negative I would say, and this isn't really a complaint just the reality, is the track is quite small. Short straights. The handling end of the track is pretty tight without a bunch of room for error. Literally a couple feet to the guard rail in certain spots. Now I don't have a background in high performance driving so this wasn't going to be the track where I was going to be looking for the limits. Even with paying the $50 insurance you are still on the hook for a couple grand if you bend anything. I am just not sure how much of the extra performance available in the turbo and GT3 courses you are going to be able to realize for the extra money. I just went and did it with a C2S and had a blast with that. Never seen a discount code either.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

My dealer has offered to provide me with a discount through them if I ever decide to go. I'd try asking yours. I don't know if they just give you a code or they book it for you though.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Interested to hear the answer to the discount code as I am going spring time but haven't booked yet
Old 01-31-2018, 06:54 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Not a code, but if you go more than once, you get 10% off your next visit. I've been four times. .
Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That cracked me up - glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Some areas (maybe all) of the low friction handling course had no guard rails and, beyond the track edge, the ground just dropped away - to where? Who knows, but I didn't want to find out! And the instructor wanted me to be out to the edge of the turns as much as possible. Where you might / should get more bang out of a Turbo is the launch control (dynamics area) track. I could only get the C2S up to 82mph on a launch; there's just not enough room to do much better before you need to brake (they tell you to brake!). So you can be back from the starting cones a bit to get a little more track or get a quicker car, or don't worry about it and just enjoy the C2S. My instructor said the best "learning" car on the handling circuits would be a Boxster or Cayman because of the balance and that's what I'd try next time. That said, swinging the 911's big butt around those curves is a lot of fun.

I think they put that liability ($2K even after $50 insurance) in there to keep people in line. At BMW, when we picked up a car, there was no liability that I recall - didn't pay for any and didn't sign anything about insurance. I felt more inclined to push myself and the car harder there - and that track has fewer blind spots. Still, PEC was a blast and, as an Atlanta resident, much closer than heading up to SC to BMW. The museum, restaurant, and restoration center were also a lot of fun. Was it worth it? I think we came close to scrubbing off $500 worth of tires and brakes, so yes.

They told us they are doubling the track length over the next year and a half, so a 2021 visit should see 2 miles or so of handling track.

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I went to PEC ATL and had a blast. The only negative I would say, and this isn't really a complaint just the reality, is the track is quite small. Short straights. The handling end of the track is pretty tight without a bunch of room for error. Literally a couple feet to the guard rail in certain spots. Now I don't have a background in high performance driving so this wasn't going to be the track where I was going to be looking for the limits. Even with paying the $50 insurance you are still on the hook for a couple grand if you bend anything. I am just not sure how much of the extra performance available in the turbo and GT3 courses you are going to be able to realize for the extra money. I just went and did it with a C2S and had a blast with that. Never seen a discount code either.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

They offer 10% off for military (Active and retired). You need to call to book with that discount and then show your ID when checking in.

There is no PCA discount on the driving, but there is a 10% PCA discount in the gift shop.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Just got back from PEC ATL.

Highest dollar-to-learning ratio I’ve experienced in 25 years.

If you’re interested in just going fast go to another school.

If you are considering buying ‘X’ then maybe you get the ‘closest-to-X’ available.

If you want to have fun, learn and practice car control play with a base 911 or 718 GTS. Base 718 is cheapest, but the single turbo hits like a hammer, tough to modulate when you’re cold to the car.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
That cracked me up - glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Some areas (maybe all) of the low friction handling course had no guard rails and, beyond the track edge, the ground just dropped away - to where? Who knows, but I didn't want to find out! And the instructor wanted me to be out to the edge of the turns as much as possible. Where you might / should get more bang out of a Turbo is the launch control (dynamics area) track. I could only get the C2S up to 82mph on a launch; there's just not enough room to do much better before you need to brake (they tell you to brake!). So you can be back from the starting cones a bit to get a little more track or get a quicker car, or don't worry about it and just enjoy the C2S. My instructor said the best "learning" car on the handling circuits would be a Boxster or Cayman because of the balance and that's what I'd try next time. That said, swinging the 911's big butt around those curves is a lot of fun.

I think they put that liability ($2K even after $50 insurance) in there to keep people in line. At BMW, when we picked up a car, there was no liability that I recall - didn't pay for any and didn't sign anything about insurance. I felt more inclined to push myself and the car harder there - and that track has fewer blind spots. Still, PEC was a blast and, as an Atlanta resident, much closer than heading up to SC to BMW. The museum, restaurant, and restoration center were also a lot of fun. Was it worth it? I think we came close to scrubbing off $500 worth of tires and brakes, so yes.

They told us they are doubling the track length over the next year and a half, so a 2021 visit should see 2 miles or so of handling track.
Interesting your comment about doubling the track length. Two sides of the track are landlocked by the interstate and the other side is the airport property and they won't be building any closer to the runway. With some major construction they could possibly extend it due south of the south end of the track. Not disputing what you were told but I sure wonder how they plan to do it! Would be really great if the track were longer.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Interesting your comment about doubling the track length. Two sides of the track are landlocked by the interstate and the other side is the airport property and they won't be building any closer to the runway. With some major construction they could possibly extend it due south of the south end of the track. Not disputing what you were told but I sure wonder how they plan to do it! Would be really great if the track were longer.
If you go to google maps and look at the satellite image, the area where the approach lights are is I believe still part of their property. When it was a ford plant, that was all parking for completed cars. track could easily expand out that way.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 AM
Zanotti
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong
Hello all,

i am trying to book for march PEC in Atlanta and it had a field for a discount or promo code. has anyone ever used a discount code and if so where can I find one. Also I currently l have a targa GTS 2016 and was considering 991 turbo , targa gts experience.. Which one would you recommend? I have tried the GT3rs in Vegas dream racing. Would trying my car at PEC be most useful?

thank you for any advice.
How was the Vegas experience and would you recommend it?

Quick Reply: PEC Discount Code & experience