Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 04:21 PM
q8linux
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I know @RwdConnor mentioned he has rear audio as well with his Qualcomm unit.
@q8linux which unit did you get? Perhaps there's differences in these MOST converter or the Audio out wiring.
its skyshadow.. its a copy of chstek 7862..
i dont know if its working properly but i can hear the sound coming from the rear speakers..
Old 08-16-2024, 04:32 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by drawz
I think it’s important to note which MOST adapter is in use when reporting your experience. I am pretty sure mine works with the Macan 7862 FYT unit and TOSLINk to MOST25 adapter, but I want to verify.

In terms of sending 4 channels via MOST, I think the key is what the MOST adapter and the amp support/expect. I think it’s unlikely that the two adapters linked earlier would be able to make this work, but you never know until you try.
Yeah, but CHSTEK does not have a toslink output, so we just have an RCA out option (and the option to tap into the Front/Rear in the quadlock)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:33 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by q8linux
its skyshadow.. its a copy of chstek 7862..
i dont know if its working properly but i can hear the sound coming from the rear speakers..
Were yours PCM3.1 or PCM4 ?
Old 08-16-2024, 05:14 PM
q8linux
Intermediate

Were yours PCM3.1 or PCM4 ?
pcm3.1
my car is carrera s 2013 with bose system.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:12 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

pcm3.1
my car is carrera s 2013 with bose system.
Thanks, did you get the MOST box from the same seller?
Old 08-16-2024, 06:14 PM
q8linux
Intermediate

Thanks, did you get the MOST box from the same seller?
yes and was installed/connected to the hu by him
The following users liked this post:
bmxtreme (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 06:30 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

yes and was installed/connected to the hu by him
Thanks. The MOST box looks identical to the one I got, so guess that ain't it. Well, it's a mystery then :P
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...-specification
Old 08-16-2024, 06:39 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

I have Bose system. Ordered the 7862E plus MOST box together from CHSTEK Official store. They came connected. My rear speakers work but I have no separate volume control over them. They are loud enough that I can tell they are on from the driver's seat. I have a 2014 981 Cayman S, so the sound bounces off the back hatch and goes forward. I also have no rear passengers to complain about the volume.

Last edited by boxdriver; 08-16-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:46 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

REAR SPEAKER CONTROL in about an hour.
My theory about hooking up the rear speakers directly to the speaker outs from the HU and bypassing the amp does work. The fade control does work this way. I hooked my right rear output up to my center speaker which I had removed in the past. Compared to the rear speakers, when the fade is in the center, the one hooked directly to the HU is louder. The center is 3" 4-ohm and the rears are 4" 4-ohm, so they should be about the same volume if all else was equal. I didn't go through the process of hooking the rears up this way since I don't have a back seat and don't want much sound coming from the back anyway. But this way will work. If you adjust the fade to the rear and turn up the HU so the fronts are still at the volume you want, you will have more sound out the rear speakers for your rear passengers. Is this the best way to do it? Absolutely not. The rears should have a separate 2-way amp hooked up with a remote gain to control them, but if someone is looking for an easy solution to get more volume in the back for the cost of a little speaker wire and about an hour worth of time, this will do the trick.

The following 5 users liked this post by boxdriver:
andy2111 (08-17-2024), bmxtreme (08-17-2024), jadski (08-16-2024), q8linux (08-17-2024), ZedZed (08-17-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:35 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver;[url=tel:19600486
19600486[/url]]REAR SPEAKER CONTROL …if someone is looking for an easy solution to get more volume in the back for the cost of a little speaker wire and about an hour worth of time, this will do the trick.
Thanks so much. I actually bought wire and some cheap spare speakers to try this. Thanks for trying it for me first.

if someone has pictures or a wiring diagram of where the rear speakers attach to the Bose amp in a 2015 Porsche Macan, I would appreciate the help. I’ve been looking on the worldwide web, but so far I have not come up with anything specific.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:48 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oumizx
Hi I got my CHSTEK model installed in car toys. The installer said he connected the aftermarket backup camera to the model, but it is still black screen on it. He believed the wire setting is correct. He said what he used to do for other unit is to do some setting in the system to make the after market camera replace the original camera from factory(which my car does not have). But he could not figure out how to set it for this unit.
I tried to contact the seller on Aliexpress but got no response.
Any suggestion for it? Thanks!
I had working Front & Rear cams with my prior PCM-ISudar setup. Front cam is hardwired to be always powered on. Rear cam is powered and triggered from tapping the rear backup light.

Thought the cams would be plug-and-play on the CHSTEK. First I plugged in the front cam and AUX app says no video source. Now after plugging in the rear cam, all I get is a black screen. I pulled the PCM fuse. Also made sure my parking brake was off when putting the PDK in reverse. But still no luck.

I just emailed my AliExpress seller for suggestions and am waiting to hear back.

@oumizx Did you ever get your camera to work with the CHSTEK?
Old 08-17-2024, 01:02 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
I had working Front & Rear cams with my prior PCM-ISudar setup. Front cam is hardwired to be always powered on. Rear cam is powered and triggered from tapping the rear backup light.

Thought the cams would be plug-and-play on the CHSTEK. First I plugged in the front cam and AUX app says no video source. Now after plugging in the rear cam, all I get is a black screen. I pulled the PCM fuse. Also made sure my parking brake was off when putting the PDK in reverse. But still no luck.

I just emailed my AliExpress seller for suggestions and am waiting to hear back.

@oumizx Did you ever get your camera to work with the CHSTEK?
Don't use the AUX app, that doesn't work with the front camera if you use the CVBS-1 or CVBS-2 input. The Front View app is the correct app to use if you enabled the Front View option in the factory settings

If it doesn't work with the rear camera input, I think the camera lost its power source. Does the video out cable have a red wire coming out next to it? If yes, you can try connect that to a 12v and see if the camera works. If it works, then the other end of the power wire must have been disconnected from its previous power source.
StanfordBear (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 03:54 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

It is strange that neither camera works.

Are you PDK or manual? Is your rear camera original or aftermarket?

Did you wire the 12v wire for the rear camera to the brown wire in the Chstek loom? If your camera was pre installed for the Isudar you will still need to connect it per the guide and only connect it to the brown wire. If it has a negative wire that'll need tapping into the loom too

You could temporarily reconnect the PCM to check that both cameras still work...

Last edited by andy2111; 08-17-2024 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

It's important as well to determine if the camera is not working/not powered or if the unit isn't switching to the correct input. If the HU screen doesn't change in any way when selecting the camera via reverse gear or via a front cam app, then the unit isn't switching to the camera input. This is likely to be a wiring problem with the trigger. If the unit is switching, but the camera isn't live for some reason, then the screen should still show some sort of image. This may be a simple 'no video signal' type of message, or the screen may show the reversing guidelines. Of course, the HU may not be switching AND the camera is not live, but it's still a useful troubleshooting step IMO to determine whether the problem is A or B.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:42 AM
StanfordBear
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks @bmxtreme @andy2111 @ZedZed for all the feedback.

For the front cam, the Front View has been enabled and unfortunately the Front View app shows no video either.

My car is PDK and when I shift into reverse, the guidelines and parking sensor overlay is triggered. Just no video. The shop that installed the aftermarket rear cam originally for the ISudar had tapped the reverse lamp for 12v power and as a trigger to be on only when reversing. I therefore did not tap the 7862’s brown wire harness. But it sounds like Andy feels this still must be done. The red camera wire I’m assuming is currently tapped into rear back up light factory harness so I’m not sure how to switch this over to the head unit’s brown wire without a lot of work.

Since it sounds like both front and rear cams may have somehow lost their power connections while making the switch from my ISudar to the 7862, I may need to bring this into a shop to figure things out. I just hope that the shop doesn’t get stuck like another user had mentioned before.

Last edited by StanfordBear; 08-17-2024 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1