Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 04:02 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Update.. Just went for a short trip to the local shop and the rotary dial is now working with the lights on automatic.

My guess is that the electronics on the car go into a deeper sleep after the car is locked for a few minutes and I can only assume this was enough to fully reset something which allowed the canbus and controls to work as expected.

So good news, but I might not try updating the canbus software again for a while!
I don't know about your car, but both of ours take a good 20 minutes from switching off to go fully to sleep and for most of the systems to shut down. This would explain the earlier behaviour and why things sorted themselves out. Good news anyway!
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
andy2111 (04-14-2024), Chuck245 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 04:07 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Just did the update myself. Have yet to test anything.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:26 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys. It's been some time!

I helped a friend install the erisin unit on his GT4 too. His was a bit different to mine as it as PCM3.1 (Porsche sound package plus) instead of CDR31 that mine had. So we have 2 issues.

1) There is a hissing sound when music starts playing. At least not very noticeable as music is playing. Is there a fix for this?
2) When he is wearing polarised sunglasses the unit appears completely dark. Has anyone found a solution to his? Any screen-protector that fixes it or something?
Old 04-16-2024, 09:33 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by panagath
Hey guys. It's been some time!

I helped a friend install the erisin unit on his GT4 too. His was a bit different to mine as it as PCM3.1 (Porsche sound package plus) instead of CDR31 that mine had. So we have 2 issues.

1) There is a hissing sound when music starts playing. At least not very noticeable as music is playing. Is there a fix for this?
2) When he is wearing polarised sunglasses the unit appears completely dark. Has anyone found a solution to his? Any screen-protector that fixes it or something?
The hissing sound has been discussed at length in the thread, and various resolutions offered.

The screen is polarised in the 'wrong' direction for Polaroid-style sunglasses, unfortunately. It is a normal consequence of how polarisation works and, as far as I know, there is nothing that can be done about it (other than choosing non-polarising sunglasses of course). In our Cayman, I can't see the screen when wearing my sunglasses, but in the Panamera, it's not a problem. So it seems that the polarisation in one is horizontal and in the other, vertical.

I looked into ways of fixing it in the Cayman and found this:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215204

But in the end I decided it was too much trouble and I just use non-polarising sunglasses when driving the Cayman. It's a bummer really because Polaroid lenses are definitely superior when driving.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

I had the hissing on my non Bose unit and I've pretty much fixed it

See posts 1950 onward then 2008 onward

My fix is fully reversible and is straightforward if you can solder wires or use heatshrink connectors. PM me if you want any more details and let us know how you get on
Old 04-17-2024, 06:59 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Samloko
Does anyone using the Joye use an android phone? Joyeauto says it has to be wired connection even though it's the wireless version. I recently went from 11 pro to Samsung
Pretty much all of the modern Android HUs are now featuring wired and wireless Android Auto. If yours doesn't, then an alternative is one of the wireless Android Auto adapters. These plug in to the USB port where you would normally plug your phone, and the phone links to it with BT. Once set up, connection is automatic and seamless.

Something like one of these:

https://www.androidpolice.com/best-w...auto-adapters/

An additional benefit of using a wireless adapter is that your phone no longer grabs the wifi connection, so you can have wifi running on the HU at the same time as Android Auto. This enables you to seamlessly switch between using the HU 'natively' or in AA mode, without having to mess about disabling AA, enabling a phone hotspot, connecting the HU to it and so on. For this very reason, although my HU connects wirelessly to the phone with no issues at all, I am considering adding one of these adapters in my glove box.

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-17-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:55 PM
electricsinatra
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Camera?

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Ok well the rear speakers do in fact work haha. Theyre just alot quieter than the fronts (i mean... duh)

Just spent about an hour driving around with the car play and back up camera and it has totally changed the feel of the car, for the better.
I didnt HATE the stock PCM, but the ability to have carplay and a backup camera is such a must for me after leaving my 2018 Audi S4.. still adjusting
I have no regrets with the Unit at this point, truthfully, I do however, still wish i could use wired car play.. Wireless basically stops me from being able to look something up in a parking lot on my phone because its using the wifi signal from the unit.. Grrr

Anyone want a BRAND NEW Isudar 3.1 PCM kit.. its like $60 to send it back haha

What camera did you get for backup? Looking for suggestions from anyone on this thread.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:24 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by electricsinatra
What camera did you get for backup? Looking for suggestions from anyone on this thread.
I have used this one in two cars and continue to be delighted with it. It is well-made, from metal not plastic and looks 100% OEM. The image from it in our Cayman is superb and easily surpasses that of the OEM camera in my Panamera. It has an all-glass lens (cheap ones use plastic lenses) and a sensible angle of vision. It is also very good in low light situations.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-19-2024 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:28 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
To clarify - by "stock dialler on my HU", I meant the dialler of the stock launcher. I would assume this is just a different skin for the same (Bluetooth) dialler.

I have a SIM card arriving for the HU in a few days and expect Google Phone to work once installed.
A quick update re: SIM card / Google Phone App on the CHSTEK unit:

I installed a SIM in "Slot 2" (the long extension lead with the SIM holder) and connected the OEM telephone antenna to the SMA on the head unit using a FAKRA-D to SMA converter. SIM then registers and shows in Android OS. Google Phone + Google Messages Apps then work as expected using this SIM.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:42 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I have used this one in two cars and continue to be delighted with it. It is well-made, from metal not plastic and looks 100% OEM. The image from it in our Cayman is superb and easily surpasses that of the OEM camera in my Panamera. It has an all-glass lens (cheap ones use plastic lenses) and a sensible angle of vision. It is also very good in low light situations.

Amazon Amazon
Good to know - thanks @ZedZed . Has anyone established the best (simplest) way to install in a 991.1? i.e. is it always going to be a case of removing the rear bumper? Can anyone suggest the best way to route the cable to the bulk head?
Old 04-19-2024, 07:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Good to know - thanks @ZedZed . Has anyone established the best (simplest) way to install in a 991.1? i.e. is it always going to be a case of removing the rear bumper? Can anyone suggest the best way to route the cable to the bulk head?
There are YT videos showing various installation procedures for 911s. I managed to avoid removing the bumper on the Cayman by going through the rear light (which is very easy to remove) and feeding the wire for the camera through the back of the bumper using a (removed) license plate light for access. It was tricky. IDK if this is possible with the 911, but check as many YT videos as you can find since everyone seems to have a different way of doing it. Removing Porsche bumpers is straightforward but sometimes the bolts can be rusted which makes the job trickier.

There are also backup cameras that replace one of the license plate lights. You'll find details of these on YT as well. Something like this:

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-19-2024 at 07:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ratt359 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 07:32 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I installed a SIM in "Slot 2" (the long extension lead with the SIM holder) and connected the OEM telephone antenna to the SMA on the head unit using a FAKRA-D to SMA converter. SIM then registers and shows in Android OS. Google Phone + Google Messages Apps then work as expected using this SIM.
That's interesting news - thanks for trying this. I guess the only drawback to this is having to pay for an additional SIM every month, but it's good to know the option is there. For those using the HU in 'native mode', this provides an all-in-one solution.

Another problem I can see is that this would also mean using a different phone number to your regular phone number, when driving. Since most people would normally call you on your regular number, it would make receiving calls while driving pretty unlikely. You could always do a call-forward from your main phone to the car phone I guess, but this would be a major inconvenience every time you got into the car. There is a possibility this could be automated somehow, maybe?? Maybe a Tasker routine could be set up which detected the car's BT connecting and then runs a sequence which initiates a call from your phone with the code to enable call-forwarding, reversing the process when the car's BT disconnects?

It seems, to me anyway, way too much trouble - the built-in dialler is perfectly usable once you have downloaded the phone's address book. It's just fugly. Personally, I almost never make or take phone calls when driving unless absolutely essential, so this isn't a major issue for me anyway.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:33 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

I think I might know why mine isn't working... I put a "3" SIM in the car and I think it's data only so of course it won't be able to use the dialler
Old 04-19-2024, 07:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
I think I might know why mine isn't working... I put a "3" SIM in the car and I think it's data only so of course it won't be able to use the dialler

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-19-2024 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:57 AM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZedZed
That's interesting news - thanks for trying this. I guess the only drawback to this is having to pay for an additional SIM every month, but it's good to know the option is there. For those using the HU in 'native mode', this provides an all-in-one solution.

Another problem I can see is that this would also mean using a different phone number to your regular phone number, when driving. Since most people would normally call you on your regular number, it would make receiving calls while driving pretty unlikely. You could always do a call-forward from your main phone to the car phone I guess, but this would be a major inconvenience every time you got into the car. There is a possibility this could be automated somehow, maybe?? Maybe a Tasker routine could be set up which detected the car's BT connecting and then runs a sequence which initiates a call from your phone with the code to enable call-forwarding, reversing the process when the car's BT disconnects?

It seems, to me anyway, way too much trouble - the built-in dialler is perfectly usable once you have downloaded the phone's address book. It's just fugly. Personally, I almost never make or take phone calls when driving unless absolutely essential, so this isn't a major issue for me anyway.
No problem. Truth be told, I don't really have a need for an extra SIM in the car but it wasn't expensive (Lebara £5/m, £2.50 for first 3 months) and was done in the spirit of discovery! My wife asked why and I mumbled something about "in case of emergencies"

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1