Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:43 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
Seems to be pointing to that. I will be ripping it out again this week and checking all of those connections carefully.

The interesting thing is that even when the screen is jumping around like that, the touchscreen mapping points stay exactly where they should be when its working normally. For example, sometimes when its acting up, the screen instead of jumping will just shift to the left, but touching the lower left hand corner still is the home button, and clicking on the right lower corder is still the next page toggle. And when its in that left shifted position, clicking on on of the app icons will open the app that is to the right of the one I tapped.

Seems its a video-only cable or connection that is loose. Sound is completely fine and uninterrupted. Doesnt lock up or any other odd behavior. Just that video display wackiness.

Not looking forward to tearing this all apart again, but it must be done...and maybe again afterwards if I end up needing to replace that LVDS cable.

Appreciate the excellent feedback on this.
Could also be a glitch in the aftermarket hardware. But makes sense to check connections first.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Sleeks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkkhoo
I'd be interested too if the previous offers didn't pan out.
Hope NM automotive will start shipping to the US again soon.
I have emailed them and they don't seem to be interested in shipping here due to their insurance costs. It is a shame as this seems like the best solution.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Zero1Niner
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

PC Board - LVDS

Integration Box - LVDS Connections

I would focus on the LVDS connections to your - PC Board and connection male-female connectors ensuring all pins and wires are connected with a solid bond. Also check your harness to ensure wires are not under excessive stress or binding/tension.
I tore everything apart, carefully checked the pins for the LVDS cable (nothing obviously wrong, but who knows), and since I was in there, made sure the ribbon cables were firmly and evenly in their connectors.

The way I had that LVDS cable coming out of the PCM before might have been putting some stress on the cable. I had it coming out sandwiched under the sat radio connector, which I never really liked, but others had recommended that method, and said they were not having issues with it. But that method clamps the cable between the PCM chassis and the metal plate that the sat connector is attached to, and I just didnt like that.

So I decided to drill a hole in the DVD chassis, and exit the LVDS cable from there. Seems like quite a bit less tension on the cable now (which the LVDS cable doesn't feel like the most well made cable).

Reassembled everything again...so far..so good. But last time it was quite a few weeks before I saw it the first time, and on longer drives which I havent done yet.

The following users liked this post:
911TurboRules (12-30-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM
camaroz1985
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Any UK members willing to ship to us yanks?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:02 AM
woodwalker45
2nd Gear

I would be interested if we can get help from our UK members.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Boca barrister
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by woodwalker45
I would be interested if we can get help from our UK members.
I would also be very interested in getting in if we could find some help to get a unit. I’ve looked all over the www and Nicks unit seems to be the only really truly integrated and reliable one with PCM that I can see. Also the members here seem super friendly, helpful, etc. I just Purchased as 2016 Cayenne for my wife, and I guess just missed the window close on purchasing from Nick. I emailed him yesterday, he responded quickly but no luck. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a “Nick” CarPlay unit for my 2016 Cayenne PCM?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Boca barrister
Cruisin'

Sidvicoius7 or wizard, any ideas on how to get this particular unit here in the States, or Florida specifically?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

My American friends, welcome to how Canadians feel on a daily basis in dealing with your country

You'll need to find a parcel forwarding service that gives you a virtual mailbox in a country that Nick can ship to. The forwarding company will then send on to you.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Boca barrister
Sidvicoius7 or wizard, any ideas on how to get this particular unit here in the States, or Florida specifically?
What Koala said or try locating a Rennlist member from the UK who wouldn’t mind helping you or others out. In my opinion Nick is the best at what he does, plus he offers a quality product.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Boca barrister
Cruisin'

Thank you gentlemen for the quick response and advice. I will endeavor to find someone who is sympathetic to my plight! If anyone else out there has a direction or contact regarding. My dilemma, please advise. Thanks guys for the direction.
Cheers!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Sleeks
Track Day

Old 03-25-2019, 03:12 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plug...1ba34c4dFrVcLl

done by other 958 owners and it’s wireless. DHL to you in a few days. I plan to do mine soon.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Zero1Niner
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt

done by other 958 owners and it’s wireless. DHL to you in a few days. I plan to do mine soon.
I dont see where that indicates that its a wireless Carplay system. Thats a big improvement if thats working now. Do you know for sure if it supports wireless CarPlay connection?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
I dont see where that indicates that its a wireless Carplay system. Thats a big improvement if thats working now. Do you know for sure if it supports wireless CarPlay connection?
It would need wireless on board for data throughput and even with Wireless I could see there being a bit of lag over wired connection. From what I can tell that Alibaba unit is still wired.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Boca barrister
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kennyt

I don't think it's the same as Nicks unit. I think there is a difference between a "mirror" unit and how Nick's unit works. Does anyone else have any further input on the issue of a "mirror" box, and Nicks unit?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1