Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

1) I believe you can move the icons
2) The actual screen is not pixelated, I think it the angle of the photo or the land elevation depiction
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know someone in the Philadelphia area that can install this unit?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Follow up: I did the install using a different system than Nick's (as I explained earlier my 981 had the CDR base system, his system is compatible with the PCM and CDR "Plus"). Finding a place for the processing "boxes" was a pain (even if you use the 'shelf' next to the cigarette lighter in the passenger footwell it's a squeeze), the results look great but I have not had time to do a full road test yet, pics will follow. I bought the microphone and USB cable/port from Nick, truly the way to go for a 'factory' look - the mic is easy to hide, I put mine in the cowl over the steering wheel (there's two positions for microphones there, one is taken up by the factory one), seems to pick up my voice great.

Update (post road test). Still very happy (see photos below, remember this is the base, low-res version). Prefer to use phone via car Bluetooth (as opposed to Carplay/Android Auto - Carplay seems better at handling that without getting 'confused'). I'm going to post more detail in the 981 forums regarding the install as this is likely more relevant there.

Last edited by Dom991.1; 03-28-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the system about 3 weeks ago and overall it's awesome. I found a shop near me (Orlando, FL) who did the whole install. Nick has been awesome and is very proactive with working with the manufacturer on updates to take care some some small annoyances - mostly the volume of CarPlay and Siri needing to be increased.

Another thing that I was just made aware of - backup camera! My car did not have factory backup camera so I had the NavTV system installed about 2 years ago. Nick told me that this system also includes all the functionality for that, so I should be able to remove the NavTV system and plug the camera into the CarPlay controller.

The installers mounted my microphone under the steering column so it is invisible, and it works great when I'm driving around town, but at highway speed the road noise is overpowering and Hey Siri doesn't work very well - I would recommend mounting the mic somewhere other than where mine is (I'll be moving it).

I'm curious if anyone removed the 12V socket from their armrest and replaced it with a USB port? If anyone did that, did you keep it looking stock?

CarPlay running in the stock PCM of my 2013 911 Carrera S

Last edited by 2013CarreraS; 03-18-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:16 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Risk of Apple breaking the CarPlay support in the future

I reached out to a recommended audio installer in the Philadelphia area that also installs aftermarket parking sensors, etc. They said the following:

The issue with all of the CarPlay retrofit kits that work with the PCM 3.1 radio that you have, is that they are not authorized by Apple. Apple has a strict certification process for CarPlay equipment both in the OEM and in the aftermarket. All of these products are exploiting loopholes in Apple’s software that allow them to communicate with your phone’s CarPlay software. We can definitely install one of these but my fear would be that as soon as Apple releases a software update for the phone, these units might not work anymore. The proper and Apple authorized way to do it would be to change the PCM unit with an aftermarket unit that has Apple CarPlay built in to it, with no risk that Apple will update your phone and block the loophole.

I do not really want to install a third party head unit. Does anyone know what the risk is of Apple breaking the CarPlay support in future iOS versions?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:27 PM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that same answer when I called NavTV asking if they offered a solution, and brought it up to Nick. He told me they have not had that problem to date and are always updating the firmware (which I can attest to).
Old 03-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Prretty good chance

Apple is fantas6ic at keeping things propriatary and planned obscolecence. They issued a software telease that overcyxled the cpu on my phone and admintef as much witth no compensation.. The answer is droid and samsung. F apple.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Orlando shop

May i ask the name of the shop, i woupd not turn anyone in tallahassee loose on thia. The man. told me the droid release is coming soon.

QUOTE=2013CarreraS;14878388]I installed the system about 3 weeks ago and overall it's awesome. I found a shop near me (Orlando, FL) who did the whole install. Nick has been awesome and is very proactive with working with the manufacturer on updates to take care some some small annoyances - mostly the volume of CarPlay and Siri needing to be increased.

Another thing that I was just made aware of - backup camera! My car did not have factory backup camera so I had the NavTV system installed about 2 years ago. Nick told me that this system also cincludes all the functionality for that, so I should be able to remove the NavTV system and plug the camera into the CarPlay controller.

The installers mounted my microphone under the steering column so it is invisible, and it works great when I'm driving around town, but at highway speed the road noise is overpowering and Hey Siri doesn't work very well - I would recommend mounting the mic somewhere other than where mine is (I'll be moving it).

I'm curious if anyone removed the 12V socket from their armrest and replaced it with a USB port? If anyone did that, did you keep it looking stock?

CarPlay running in the stock PCM of my 2013 911 Carrera S[/QUOTE]
orlando
Old 03-29-2018, 06:40 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My installer just refused to install it...if anyone knows a good installer in the Seattle are please let me know.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:52 PM
judd10
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanishAmerican
I reached out to a recommended audio installer in the Philadelphia area that also installs aftermarket parking sensors, etc. They said the following:

The issue with all of the CarPlay retrofit kits that work with the PCM 3.1 radio that you have, is that they are not authorized by Apple. Apple has a strict certification process for CarPlay equipment both in the OEM and in the aftermarket. All of these products are exploiting loopholes in Apple’s software that allow them to communicate with your phone’s CarPlay software. We can definitely install one of these but my fear would be that as soon as Apple releases a software update for the phone, these units might not work anymore. The proper and Apple authorized way to do it would be to change the PCM unit with an aftermarket unit that has Apple CarPlay built in to it, with no risk that Apple will update your phone and block the loophole.

I do not really want to install a third party head unit. Does anyone know what the risk is of Apple breaking the CarPlay support in future iOS versions?
So if one wanted to stay OEM and ensure compatibility with future Apple iOS, would upgrading to a 991.2 head unit with CarPlay functionality be an option?
The following users liked this post:
Lee Turner (01-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanishAmerican
1) Can you move the Siri logo to the second screen (I am not a fan of the icon as it looks non-apple-y)?
The logos are moved in the CarPlay preferences in your iPhone, so it should work.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:46 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope to find someone with a jail broken iPhone to tell me if WAZE can work on this Kit, " I am currently in the process of getting the one from Nick "Channel Island/UK"., next trying to find installer to do it in the Vancouver/BC or Seattle/Bellevue area
also please did anyone found a better location for the mic. to avoid the reported highway noise interference.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:16 PM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

This site has the better kit and is the one we had the group buy on. The core CarPlay module is the same, but this kit has:
1) Better instructions
2) Better microphone which is high quality and can be hidden
3) Stand off studs that enable you to retain your Sirius-XM radio and have that module securely mounted.
4) Better vendor support for installation and post installation

Hey Stealth. Have you received your kit and installed it yet? Report back on how well it works?

Also anyone have a pic of the mic installed that Wizard uses on their 991?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:37 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the mic.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 PM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Wizard. Appreciate the quick reply. I am wanting to see it actually installed on a 991.

Is there a group buy going still? What is the unit shipped to 02025?

Two last questions. How far out are you from a Bluetooth version if ever? In the event Apple does a firmware update will I be able to update this unit without removing it?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1