Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default NM automotive

Do you have a link to their web site Google is inconclusive (PM if you like )

QUOTE=stealthpilot;14847889]This is the exact reason why it is better to go with the NMAutomotive kit (Wizard263789) vs the others. NM Automotive has improved the kit working with the OEM, and also has improved the components included in the package including the microphone, and the parts needed to retain your SiriusXM radio. People who buy the $419 kit are going to be disappointed.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Moscin
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzjono
Ive just had the Naviplus one professionally installed in my 911 991 here in Australia. Many issues with Siri and volume levels being very low and terrible quality. My installer spent all day back and forth with the national suppliers who could not offer any solutions except for just use the bluetooth for the audio, which kind of defeats the point of having it!. It also has stop my normal PCM mic from working with normal voice calls. My battery gauge has also started flickering after this was installed. As much as I wanted to like this I feel its a half finished product from somewhere in China. The other thing that is a deal breaker is the rather large fluffy cheap a looking mic that you have to have clipped to the window frame right in your peripheral vision. It looks cheap and nasty and for me ruins the driving view. My installer was equally frustrated and has agreed to remove everything and put the car back to stock. You may have better luck than me but the quality control seems very hit and miss.

Wow that mic is terrible. You'd have to look pretty hard to find the one I installed from the kit purchased from Wizard.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (09-06-2020)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably gonna get roasted for this, but why install carplay for $$$$ ?

I have carplay in my commute beater - I would not spend a *penny* putting it in my 991.

The Phone needs to be connected with a wire so it's not super elegant, meh... The Apple music interface somewhat of a pain in the butt, oftentimes it gets lost in a playlist or one subgroup of songs and you are navigating out of a dead end (musically) instead of driving... I put in all my music on one USB key and PCM does an OK job...
Siri can be queried just as well on the phone directly (which is right there within reach because it needs to be plugged in anyway)... And as others said, no WAZE, which is the greatest knock IMO... Not that I love waze, it's gotten weird lately losing roads and misdirecting me, but it has that useful police reporting feature google lacks. All this to say I have carplay most days and I'm not really all that impressed, hardly use it, certainly not impressed enough to spend $ retrofitting it into a car that came w/o... Anyway, back to regular programming, I don't mean to diss people who did it - just more of a heads up for some who might think they need carplay but have not had much experience with it... It's not THAT great, sadly.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Probably gonna get roasted for this, but why install carplay for $$$$ ?

I have carplay in my commute beater - I would not spend a *penny* putting it in my 991.
It's nice to have the choice, to me there's value and is money well spent.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
It's nice to have the choice, to me there's value and is money well spent.
As I pointed out it was a just a warning, I have no issue with people spending $ however they see fit..
It might be constructive if you pointed out where the value is for you, for others on the fence... I'm curious as well..
Maybe I'm missing out on some feature..
Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moscin
Wow that mic is terrible. You'd have to look pretty hard to find the one I installed from the kit purchased from Wizard.
Moscin, I sent you an email.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Wizard can you snap a pic of your mic? Also, can you
post a pic of the system as it ships?

Originally Posted by Moscin
Originally Posted by wizard263789
I would guess you had a v1 unit installed, the sound issues you are describing were fixed with the v2 units. We wouldn’t sell the v1 units for that reason, sound quality on the v2 is very good.

Also we provide a smaller/better mic which is installed hidden on the edge of the steering wheel casing.

But as they say you can only report as you find and obviously disappointing for you that you had the poor/bad experience.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dbull65
Has anyone actually had the kit installed yet? I received mine. Very nice packaging. However, I am having some difficulty finding someone to do the install in San Antonio. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck.

hey, can you send me a pic of your package. So email me. I am considering buying.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeramosjr
hey, can you send me a pic of your package.
Uh-oh....
Old 03-06-2018, 02:57 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Do you have a link to their web site Google is inconclusive (PM if you like )
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

This site has the better kit and is the one we had the group buy on. The core CarPlay module is the same, but this kit has:
1) Better instructions
2) Better microphone which is high quality and can be hidden
3) Stand off studs that enable you to retain your Sirius-XM radio and have that module securely mounted.
4) Better vendor support for installation and post installation
Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeramosjr

hey, can you send me a pic of your package. So email me. I am considering buying.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:57 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I installed the kit about a week ago, and it works great. I now know why people really like carplay. The navigation is phenomenal as siri recognizes the address very accurately. I would like to thank stealthpilot and the other members for making this happen. Also, very special thanks to Nick Marquis as he was extremely responsive.

I actually did the install myself as I have done many installs in the past. If you take your time, and follow the instructions, the install is not too bad. Here are some pics.

The following users liked this post:
911TurboRules (12-29-2019)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 PM
be_cuey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

I installed the kit about a week ago, and it works great. I now know why people really like carplay. The navigation is phenomenal as siri recognizes the address very accurately. I would like to thank stealthpilot and the other members for making this happen. Also, very special thanks to Nick Marquis as he was extremely responsive.

I actually did the install myself as I have done many installs in the past. If you take your time, and follow the instructions, the install is not too bad. Here are some pics.

What is the microphone used for? Does anyone have a picture of the newer one?

can it just be omitted?

scale of 1-10, how difficult is it to install? Is there a PDF of the instructions online?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

The microphone is for asking Siri to assist. Technically you can go without it, but I think it is good to have Siri help.

The difficulty is probably a 9 or 10 since opening of the PCM is required and you need to insert a circuit board. This is a video board that intercepts the video (display ) of the PCM. The “ribbon” cables are delicate, so some experience and comfort is required.

Here is pic of the mic. It is very small and if you sick it right on the steering column, it is functional and out of sight.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

Thanks very much for the update and the photos ;-)

A couple of questions:
1) Can you move the Siri logo to the second screen (I am not a fan of the icon as it looks non-apple-y)?
2) The navigation screen shot looks kinda pixelated and not very high quality. Is this just a photo issue or is this due to the actual Porsche screen being lower resolution than the newer model Porsches?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1