Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PM'd

PM'd

Originally Posted by wizard263789
I don't think I can say explicitly otherwise I think I'll break the site advertising rules, which I obviously don't want to do.

If you message me I can provide more details of our testing, installations instructions and the good and bad of system etc.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:19 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
I had contact with www.unichip-tec.com , price quoted per piece was $419 including DHL shipping to Dubai. I would imagine that we could get a better price for group buy.

this is the video showing their product -> https://youtu.be/3PU6HrltFd4
can you still get that $419 price?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeramosjr

can you still get that $419 price?
I’ll check with them, I don’t see why not
Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone actually had the kit installed yet? I received mine. Very nice packaging. However, I am having some difficulty finding someone to do the install in San Antonio. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 AM
Moscin
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dbull65
Has anyone actually had the kit installed yet? I received mine. Very nice packaging. However, I am having some difficulty finding someone to do the install in San Antonio. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck.
I installed mine last week. It took me about 7 hours but the very detailed instructions helped. The system is great and works surprisingly well considering it's an add on to the OEM system. Wizard has also been very responsive to my questions.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:32 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Moscin
I installed mine last week. It took me about 7 hours but the very detailed instructions helped. The system is great and works surprisingly well considering it's an add on to the OEM system. Wizard has also been very responsive to my questions.

does it impact the backup camera or sensors?
do you have any pics of the product when it shipped?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dbull65
do you have pics of the packaging?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 AM
Moscin
7th Gear

does it impact the backup camera or sensors?
do you have any pics of the product when it shipped?
I didn't take any pictures of the unit when I received it but I can say that it was very complete and well packaged. All of the OEM functions work just as they did before. Surround view, parking sensors, etc. It really does integrate surprisingly well.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Is there anything you don’t like about it? How long do you think it will take a pro to install?

any functions don’t work or are iffy?

also, how doesn’t Siri work? Where do you mount your mic? Is your unit easily accessible?

I didn't take any pictures of the unit when I received it but I can say that it was very complete and well packaged. All of the OEM functions work just as they did before. Surround view, parking sensors, etc. It really does integrate surprisingly well.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:52 AM
Moscin
7th Gear

Is there anything you don’t like about it? How long do you think it will take a pro to install?

also, how doesn’t Siri work? Where do you mount your mic? Is your unit easily accessible?
I'm a big CarPlay fan so there's really nothing I don't like about it. The only minor inconvenience is the requirement to hold the Info button down at startup to get into the CarPlay screen.

I'd imagine that a pro could do it faster but there is still quite a bit of work to get through. I'd say it would take at least 4 hours. Most of the dash trim needs pulled off and the PCM unit needs removed and opened up.

Siri works fine. I mounted the mic on the back of the steering wheel.

The CarPlay box mounts up behind the glovebox and is therefore not easily accessible.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

You'd have been surprised how much Canbus logging with did for the manufacturer to get the Surround view and parking sensors working Probably was one of the most challenging things to get working as OEM, the criteria for 'stepping' out of CarPlay and back to OEM for the parking sensors was complicated.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:44 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

For info, in the Macan the unit is installed behind the glovebox, in the Boxster/Cayman/911 it's installed behind the PCM. There is more work for the Macan probably an extra hour compared to the Boxster/Cayman/911.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 AM
nzjono
4th Gear

Ive just had the Naviplus one professionally installed in my 911 991 here in Australia. Many issues with Siri and volume levels being very low and terrible quality. My installer spent all day back and forth with the national suppliers who could not offer any solutions except for just use the bluetooth for the audio, which kind of defeats the point of having it!. It also has stop my normal PCM mic from working with normal voice calls. My battery gauge has also started flickering after this was installed. As much as I wanted to like this I feel its a half finished product from somewhere in China. The other thing that is a deal breaker is the rather large fluffy cheap a looking mic that you have to have clipped to the window frame right in your peripheral vision. It looks cheap and nasty and for me ruins the driving view. My installer was equally frustrated and has agreed to remove everything and put the car back to stock. You may have better luck than me but the quality control seems very hit and miss.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

I would guess you had a v1 unit installed, the sound issues you are describing were fixed with the v2 units. We wouldn’t sell the v1 units for that reason, sound quality on the v2 is very good.

Also we provide a smaller/better mic which is installed hidden on the edge of the steering wheel casing.

But as they say you can only report as you find and obviously disappointing for you that you had the poor/bad experience.

Originally Posted by nzjono
Ive just had the Naviplus one professionally installed in my 911 991 here in Australia. Many issues with Siri and volume levels being very low and terrible quality. My installer spent all day back and forth with the national suppliers who could not offer any solutions except for just use the bluetooth for the audio, which kind of defeats the point of having it!. It also has stop my normal PCM mic from working with normal voice calls. My battery gauge has also started flickering after this was installed. As much as I wanted to like this I feel its a half finished product from somewhere in China. The other thing that is a deal breaker is the rather large fluffy cheap a looking mic that you have to have clipped to the window frame right in your peripheral vision. It looks cheap and nasty and for me ruins the driving view. My installer was equally frustrated and has agreed to remove everything and put the car back to stock. You may have better luck than me but the quality control seems very hit and miss.

Last edited by wizard263789; 03-05-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:47 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the exact reason why it is better to go with the NMAutomotive kit (Wizard263789) vs the others. NM Automotive has improved the kit working with the OEM, and also has improved the components included in the package including the microphone, and the parts needed to retain your SiriusXM radio. People who buy the $419 kit are going to be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1