Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 AM
socalva
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, on mine I don't have to press anything it'll just load on its own when I start the car (as long as that's where it was when I last turn it off). I usually keep it in my pocket for shorter rides and it works without any problems. There is the option of using a cable so it's wired, but I don't think it provides enough amperage to charge my phone with the screen on. Although you don't really need the screen on anyways. I don't have XM so I can't comment on that. The rear view camera works just like OEM - check out the pic I posted earlier. I'm very happy with it
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by socalva
Oh boy, it's been quite a hassle getting those tags. Paid them in early May and still waiting..I can request duplicates now. I've been driving with my head on a swivel
I recently moved to California. I guess this is what I have to look forward to in August...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan79
Here are a couple photos of the separated radio boards, and the Joyeauto PCM installed over top of the HD Radio board.
Hakko 808: when you absolutely, positively have to desolder every m***********g thru-hole part on the board, accept no substitutes!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Boca barrister
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Joyauto v. Unichip-Tech

Originally Posted by 12933
I just installed the Joyeauto system over the weekend. The system is activated by pressing the Navi button. Once it is connected to your phone, wireless CarPlay will start, which takes a few seconds. XM will work within PCM, not CarPlay. Camera will work whether it’s OEM or aftermarket (without the need of, for example, Nav-TV).
Did you do the install by yourself? How long did it take? I was seriously in on the Unichip-Tech which was what I understand is the unit Nick sells but won't ship to the US anymore. But now I'm hearing good things about the Joyauto system which is wireless and I understand the Unichip-Tech unit is not. Any thoughts. Comments anyone else?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:09 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm interested in either system and will participate in the group by for the system from Nick in the UK. My wife's Volvo XC90 has CarPlay but it is wired so we rarely use it unless we need navigation as the standard Volvo nav is useless. The wireless option seems much better in day to day use.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Do either of these work with Android?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

For those asking if the wireless system auto starts, here's a video showing what happens when you fire it up after the car sat all night.

I installed mine into the center console, but need to reinstall the circuit board with some very long standoffs, m2.5 x ~44mm, to clear the Sirus antenna plug. It does fit but not comfortably
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
For those asking if the wireless system auto starts, here's a video showing what happens when you fire it up after the car sat all night.

https://youtu.be/I8W0EhaIlbg

I installed mine into the center console, but need to reinstall the circuit board with some very long standoffs, m2.5 x ~44mm, to clear the Sirus antenna plug. It does fit but not comfortably
Awesome. One *possible* issue I see is that the CarPlay mode that is loading on your unit is the multi-touch mode (ability to swipe), not the capacitive mode (only touch). PCM 3.1 is capacitive only.

When CarPlay is in capacitive mode, it has arrow keys for UI compoenents that require scrolling since you cannot swipe, which seem missing in the video you posted.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Even though the PCM3.1 screen is not capacitive, swipe does work. Pinch does not, however and by touching the screen you can select the pointers and zoomers
Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bry5on
Even though the PCM3.1 screen is not capacitive, swipe does work. Pinch does not, however and by touching the screen you can select the pointers and zoomers
Swipe doesn't work for me (I tried in lists, maps, google maps, app launcher). But that could be because of the mode CarPlay is in.

Any UI components in CarPlay that can scroll always have arrow keys for me, which the app launcher on your video didn't have.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boca barrister
Did you do the install by yourself? How long did it take? I was seriously in on the Unichip-Tech which was what I understand is the unit Nick sells but won't ship to the US anymore. But now I'm hearing good things about the Joyauto system which is wireless and I understand the Unichip-Tech unit is not. Any thoughts. Comments anyone else?
I did the install myself. It took longer than I liked (about 8 hours) because of the absence of instructions and the interface unit is a really tight fit underneath the PCM, but it’s worth it. It’s amazing how much CarPlay makes the car feel “updated”, and the wireless feature is great. I don’t miss the Nokia phone on the display, or the need to ever pay for a PCM software or map update.

I am having a rear view camera installed today - not doing that install myself however.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
It is not.
Just a minor correction, according to RYE, he said Unitchip-Tech now has the wireless version available.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

It’ll be nice if someone would come up with a wireless upgrade for those of us who currently have the PCM 4.0 version on our 991.2 cars.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally had my NM Auto CarPlay system and backup camera installed this week. Found a installer through Nick @ Musicar NW for a shop in Atlanta. Cartunes in Sandy Springs did a fantastic job. My installer John reviewed the entire process with me before hand and answered all my questions making me very comfortable with the install. The system works great !

Cman21
Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 AM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbull65
Has anyone actually had the kit installed yet? I received mine. Very nice packaging. However, I am having some difficulty finding someone to do the install in San Antonio. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck.
Did you ever find a shop to install?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1