Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Sidvicious7;15558855]

Red Arrow where OEM Camera is mounted.

Aftermarket Backup Camera - Driver-side.
One of the best tags I've ever seen !
Cman21
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

If it's not too much trouble, could someone take a pic of how they've mounted the USB in the centre console? If all goes well I'm hoping to finish this weekend .

I found an interesting route for the camera cable. Will take pics!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Red Cross indicates where I cut/scored the rubber mat to fish the USB in the console.
Originally Posted by koala
If it's not too much trouble, could someone take a pic of how they've mounted the USB in the centre console? If all goes well I'm hoping to finish this weekend .

I found an interesting route for the camera cable. Will take pics!
I routed the USB cable towards the center console on the right side of the shifter. There is a narrow path where the cable fits nicely. If you remove the rubber mat in the center console there is a cut-away section where I routed the USB cable through. You may have to cut/score the rubber mat with a razor blade to push the cable through the mat.

USB Cable routed thru Center Console.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:29 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Sid! That makes sense. Your help with this is truly amazing. We all appreciate it!!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

One more dumb question from me! Did you guys connect the ground wire at the PCM harness end, and if so, to what? It looked to me like that ground isn't needed unless using the 360 camera wires.

edit - yes, I'm an idiot. I found the info. looking through the thread

Last edited by koala; 01-12-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Default Ground Wire

One more dumb question from me! Did you guys connect the ground wire at the PCM harness end, and if so, to what? It looked to me like that ground isn't needed unless using the 360 camera wires.
Koala, the harness loom provided in the kit connects in series with the OEM harness as you are aware. The OEM connector has a brown 12 gauge wire which is the ground wire. The kit’s provided harness has the ground wire leading to the connector that attaches to the back of the PCM is a Black color wire. I had to use a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) to identify the ground wire. I utilized one common grounding point and eliminated a separate grounding wire/

Ground Wire to PCM on Main Harness.

Black Labeled 18-20 gauge ground wire soldered on main kit harness.

Tesa Tape
point to the car’s chassis by taking the thin (18-20 gauge) black wire marked ground and bond it to the main harness loom provided it the kit. This requires removing the Tesa Tape (Black Cloth Tape) and bonding/soldering it to the ground wire in the harness. This process is time consuming and requires patience and care to avoid cutting in to the harness wires. I also purchased Tesa Tape from Amazon. The attached schematic illustrates the ground for the PCM (refer to red arrow).
Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Working! Sort of. Rearview camera is 100% functional and works as expected. Android Auto is very, very buggy. I messed around for about 20-30 minutes late last night and only managed to get it working once.

I wanted to verify my work this morning, so I plugged in my wife's iPhone and sure enough it worked perfectly and straight away.

I'm hoping the latest firmware will do the trick for me - just in the process of scrounging around for an old smaller format USB stick to give that a try.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working! Sort of. Rearview camera is 100% functional and works as expected. Android Auto is very, very buggy. I messed around for about 20-30 minutes late last night and only managed to get it working once.

I wanted to verify my work this morning, so I plugged in my wife's iPhone and sure enough it worked perfectly and straight away.

I'm hoping the latest firmware will do the trick for me - just in the process of scrounging around for an old smaller format USB stick to give that a try.
CarPlay works very well, but Android Auto is very sluggish and I think is due to the touch screen. The touch screen response is very very bad and it's not my phone. I tried different android phones and they are all the same.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alainpp
CarPlay works very well, but Android Auto is very sluggish and I think is due to the touch screen. The touch screen response is very very bad and it's not my phone. I tried different android phones and they are all the same.
I managed to have that issue on one or two of the attempts, but most of the time it just failed to recognize the phone. I'm wondering if the supplied USB extension is just too much extra cable. Nick alludes to this being a potential issue in the firmware notes, so now I'm not so sure v269 will help.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:16 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

Please email us so we can look into, we've tested AA on several phones with good results. Would be good to get more info on what's going on.

Cheers
Nick

I managed to have that issue on one or two of the attempts, but most of the time it just failed to recognize the phone. I'm wondering if the supplied USB extension is just too much extra cable. Nick alludes to this being a potential issue in the firmware notes, so now I'm not so sure v269 will help.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Thanks guys, this is interesting information on AA. Hope this gets fixed for you all.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

So, strangely enough - Android Auto is working normally in my testing tonight. I have no idea what I was doing wrong last night, but this is a positive sign.

Also, I found a way less frustrating place to route the rearview camera wire. I removed the plastic trip up at the top of the engine bay, directly below the rear glass. You still have to chop off the yellow composite connector to fit it through there. All I did was to remove the blue pressure fitting for that one hole (there are still 4 remaining).

Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

So, strangely enough - Android Auto is working normally in my testing tonight. I have no idea what I was doing wrong last night, but this is a positive sign.

Also, I found a way less frustrating place to route the rearview camera wire. I removed the plastic trip up at the top of the engine bay, directly below the rear glass. You still have to chop off the yellow composite connector to fit it through there. All I did was to remove the blue pressure fitting for that one hole (there are still 4 remaining).

What did you use to seal the unplugged holes?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

What did you use to seal the unplugged holes?
Those 5 holes are not sealed from the factory. I'll take a photo of the back of the plastic trim, but there are literally just 5 pressure-clips like these ones, but blue in colour.

I'm surprised Porsche wouldn't use something with a grommet there to make it water-tight. That said, there is a rain channel built into the top of the black trim piece, so I imagine that must route all water away from this area and down to the left and right edges of this trim.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Those 5 holes are not sealed from the factory. I'll take a photo of the back of the plastic trim, but there are literally just 5 pressure-clips like these ones, but blue in colour.

I'm surprised Porsche wouldn't use something with a grommet there to make it water-tight. That said, there is a rain channel built into the top of the black trim piece, so I imagine that must route all water away from this area and down to the left and right edges of this trim.
Good alternative for routing composite wire. Do you have a part number for the trim clips? Thx

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1