Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Great work gents but wow...seems like a lot just to get Carplay in a car especially as a non approved add on to OEM PCM 3.1 setups. Its not that much of a leap of technology is it? Not too sure/think so...my son has in his aftermarket Pioneer set up in his 2010 BMW 328i and its nice I agree and convenient but I think I'd add an aftermarket head unit setup using the kit on Suncoast Porsche(easily reversible and uses full OEM hookups) versus hatcheting up my OEM PCM.

Has anyone had a dealer deny a malfunction or issue post install? Probably too new an adaption/mod to see many but I can see the Porsche folks saying "you did what" when some other component of your electronics or audio-visual system fails and denying a claim. I could see if it was a retrofit of an OEM part where it would be harder to claim injury and damage (I retrofitted a 2009+ BMW Idrive setup in a 2008 in the same manner but using fully OEM BMW parts and a remote coder to get the ECU to acknowledge the upgrade so I get it but not sure about this one). Good luck gents and keep us posted.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

It's worth it for me as aftermarket head units look extremely out of place. It's the first thing I notice if I happen to get in a car with one
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
It's worth it for me as aftermarket head units look extremely out of place. It's the first thing I notice if I happen to get in a car with one

+1. In my case, replacing the head unit would be an expensive venture since my system came equipped with fiber optic (Bose/Burmester). An aftermarket unit will not work with the OEM power amps and will likely require the replacement of my speakers as well, not to mention the loss of the steering wheel controls and replacement of speak wires. Lastly, a disclaimer was issued installing the aftermarket device would require breaking the seal on the head unit an void the warranty. In life there are risk which are acceptable with a price attached and the upgrade happens to be one in my case that required a lot less work and associated cost. I’m extremely happy with the upgrade and its been working flawlessly. The add-on CarPlay kit is also reversible and no one is “hatcheting up” the OEM head unit. It’s a semi-complex mod that is 100% reversible and is a whole lot less work vs installing an aftermarket head unit from my experience.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 01-08-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:01 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

+1. In my case, replacing the head unit would be an expensive venture since my system came equipped with fiber optic (Bose/Burmester). An aftermarket unit will not work with the OEM power amps and will likely require the replacement of my speakers as well, not to mention the loss of the steering wheel controls and replacement of speak wires. Lastly, a disclaimer was issued installing the aftermarket device would require breaking the seal on the head unit an void the warranty. In life there are risk which are acceptable with a price attached and the upgrade happens to be one in my case that required a lot less work and associated cost. I’m extremely happy with the upgrade and its been working flawlessly. The add-on CarPlay kit is also reversible and no one is “hatcheting up” the OEM head unit. It’s a semi-complex mod that is 100% reversible and is a whole lot less work vs installing an aftermarket head unit from my experience.
Most of us are either out of warranty or rapidly approaching that status anyhow.

And yes, having installed several aftermarket head units, this is way less work. The only part that is actually a lot of work is the rearview camera. If you're not doing that, the rest is pretty easy.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Most of us are either out of warranty or rapidly approaching that status anyhow.

And yes, having installed several aftermarket head units, this is way less work. The only part that is actually a lot of work is the rearview camera. If you're not doing that, the rest is pretty easy.
Yes, the rear view camera installation is a pain in the behind vs just adding the CarPlay mod from my experience.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Yes, the rear view camera installation is a pain in the behind vs just adding the CarPlay mod from my experience.
I still haven't successfully got the camera wire through the firewall - at least I still have 3 more months of winter to get this done.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I still haven't successfully got the camera wire through the firewall - at least I still have 3 more months of winter to get this done.
sidvicious and I had to “fished” through a gromet behind left rear brake lights. And tucked under the rear wing. Hope that helps. Do you have a regular wing or cup wing?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TsaiCo

sidvicious and I had to “fished” through a gromet behind left rear brake lights. And tucked under the rear wing. Hope that helps. Do you have a regular wing or cup wing?
Regular wing - Sid was more than gracious in showing me which grommet - I just don't have anything sharp enough to get through there. I'll get it figured out eventually, lol
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Regular wing - Sid was more than gracious in showing me which grommet - I just don't have anything sharp enough to get through there. I'll get it figured out eventually, lol
yeah, I had a long enough kabob skew stick laying around. That tensil strength was enough to penetrate through the grommet and sharp enough to penetrate and initiate the cut. Hope that help.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TsaiCo

yeah, I had a long enough kabob skew stick laying around. That tensil strength was enough to penetrate through the grommet and sharp enough to penetrate and initiate the cut. Hope that help.
Thx TsaiCo for the reminder. Example: Here is a good tool (Skewer) with a sharp end that will work easily to poke a hole in the grommet.

The following users liked this post:
911TurboRules (12-30-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

or a coat hanger
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Joec500
or a coat hanger
I tried coat hangers and discovered they bend easily. I also went as far as cutting the tip at an angle to form a sharp point and unsuccessfully failed at the attempt. Might just be my bad luck the wire hangers from my local dry cleaner aren’t a thicker gauge.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

I tried coat hangers and discovered they bend easily. I also went as far as cutting the tip at an angle to form a sharp point and unsuccessfully failed at the attempt. Might just be my bad luck the wire hangers from my local dry cleaner aren’t a thicker gauge.
Yep, I've attempted a coat hanger and no bueno. Even grinded down the end with a Dremel, but they just bend too easily.

Will pick up some skewers, good excuse to get ready for BBQ season anyhow
Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM
svenji
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install an after market rear view camera or was it stock?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svenji
Did you install an after market rear view camera or was it stock?

I installed an aftermarket backup camera that I purchased from Nick at NMautomotive.uk.

Backup Camera

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1