Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rohulp
I just bought my kit from Nick (android auto version). Everything is installed, just dont know where to put the box. Behind the pcm seems really tight. It does not fit under the HVAC controls. The suggested spot in the drivers footwell also did not seem to work. Anyone have other spots or suggestions/helpful hints?
Here is where I was able to install the integration box. You will need to remove the frame assembly that supports the climate controls, shifter cover, button panel and ashtray. If you want more details, send me a PM and I’ll be glad to help.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:23 PM
rohulp
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of instructions to get the shifter cover off?
Old 12-30-2018, 11:41 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of instructions to get the shifter cover off?
If your car has PDK you will need to remove the shift **** first. There is a process you need to follow and the instructions can be viewed on YouTube.

View this link.

Once you remove the shift ****, keep the shifter in drive to provide clearance. There is no need to remove the shifting box.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:26 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought my kit from Nick (android auto version). Everything is installed, just dont know where to put the box. Behind the pcm seems really tight. It does not fit under the HVAC controls. The suggested spot in the drivers footwell also did not seem to work. Anyone have other spots or suggestions/helpful hints?
hope this help

from Sidvicious......

Old 01-01-2019, 11:28 PM
rohulp
Rennlist Member

Sidvicious...thanks for the help. Got the Android Auto version I installed and working. Did not see any posta on the android auto functionality and will post once I have figured it all out. I have confirmed that Waze does indeed work.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Sidvicious...thanks for the help. Got the Android Auto version I installed and working. Did not see any posta on the android auto functionality and will post once I have figured it all out. I have confirmed that Waze does indeed work.
I’m glad it worked out for you, and good luck.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:02 AM
svenji
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
Had Sidvicious7 came over and tackled the camera and CarPlay. The process, to me at least, was very challenging, with Sidvicous knowing where and what to remove (he did all the work), still took at least a good 8 hours. But along the way, it was lot of fun exchanging notes about the p-cars. What a great day!! Thanks again Sidvicious7!

Any chance you have photos of where you put the auxiliary box? I can't seem to find a place where it fits and can't seem to find any post/pics of anyone else that figured out a place.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 AM
svenji
Intermediate

Default Where to put the Apple CarPlay module?

Originally Posted by TsaiCo

hope this help

from Sidvicious......

I thought I'd be able to put the module like where you show in this pic but it seems the Apple version is slightly bigger... Anyone have any pics of the Apple module installed?
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 AM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@svenji, they are the same box. The firmware contains carplay and android auto. If you connect an Iphone, it will open carplay, if you connect an android phone, it will open android auto (At least on mine).

I didn't want to remove the center console so I installed my box on the passenger footwell under the carpet. You will find a lot of more harness there so it seems like a good place.

Another reason I installed the box there was in case of a hardware upgrade or replacement if it breaks, it would be easier to replace.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:08 AM
svenji
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alainpp
@svenji, they are the same box. The firmware contains carplay and android auto. If you connect an Iphone, it will open carplay, if you connect an android phone, it will open android auto (At least on mine).

I didn't want to remove the center console so I installed my box on the passenger footwell under the carpet. You will find a lot of more harness there so it seems like a good place.

Another reason I installed the box there was in case of a hardware upgrade or replacement if it breaks, it would be easier to replace.
Any chance you have pics of it in the foot well? Im not sure how much carpet to pull back...
Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 AM
ragabnh
Advanced

Did any of you managed to fit the carplay/AA unit behind the PCM, I believe there might be space for it at the back, the key is fitting the harness and quad plug adjacent to it, the space is very tight but I believe it might be possible.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Did any of you managed to fit the carplay/AA unit behind the PCM, I believe there might be space for it at the back, the key is fitting the harness and quad plug adjacent to it, the space is very tight but I believe it might be possible.
I tried but with the added cables there's no space left at all. Also, the PCM has a fan in the back and you don't want to block the airflow.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Remove Tesa Tape to bond one common ground.

Completed common ground to CarPlay harness.

Disconnect Fiber Optic Cables/relocate and retake harness. Use Tesa Tape.

Fish thin section of harness thru top rear PCM local frame and under bottom frame. Install integration box at an angle thru bottom frame.

Integration box positioned in place, thin section of CarPlay harness is fed under integration box first before inserting int. Box.
Originally Posted by ragabnh
The steps I took are extra and required extra patience, time and knowledge in soldering to achieve.

The amount of free space behind the PCM is limited and adding an extra harness loom complicates thing more. However, I found a way to fit the extra harness, including the integration box. The section of the new harness is outfitted with four connectors (2 - Large Black & 2 - Small White). Focus on the 2 small white connectors. At this section the harness has (6 loose wire labeled), these wires are for your +VDC, Ground, Video in, Mic. in, and two extra features not required on your 911. This is extra work, but I took the loose labeled (black wire)ground and soldered extra same gauge wire (18-20) to match the longest length of the main harness which will bond to the main harness in your dash after you relocate the fiber optic wires. From the labeled wires I proceeded to carefully remove the (Tesa Tape) which is cloth tape to match the OEM tape in your vehicle. Tesa tape gives easily and allows the harness to flex with less rigidity. I went online and pursched Tesa Tape from Amazon prior to my installation. After removing the tape, I isolated the wire/s that ground the PCM to your chassis. The pin on the OEM harness loom is the BROWN wire. The pin on the CarPlay harness loom is not labeled, so I had to use a DMM to perform a continuity test to locate the ground pin. After locating the ground pin on the main harness I proceeded to solder the (18-20) gauge wire to this point. The ground wire in the CarPlay harness will likely have at least another wire soldered in place. Using one common ground allowed me more room and one less wire to fumble and assured an absolute ground for the integration box. I then relocated the Fiber Optic cable to the new harness (provided your vehicle is equipped with either Bose/Burmester System) and connected the OEM main PCM harness loom with the CarPlay loom and positioned the Fiber Optic wires to the new (CarPlay) harness on the connector that will mate to the backside of the PCM. The next step I took is running the thinner part of the new (CarPlay) harness behind the main opening furthest back and under where you PCM slides in. Next step, take the integration box and position it under the compartment below the PCM. Ensure the integration box pins are switched properly, refer to your instructions. The terminal connections must face you and oriented right side up. Fish the thinner harness behind the frame and under to the section below the PCM, then take your integration box and position it in place through the frame at a slight angle. Refer to the attached pictures.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 PM
svenji
Intermediate

Default Finally got it!

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

Remove Tesa Tape to bond one common ground.

Completed common ground to CarPlay harness.

Disconnect Fiber Optic Cables/relocate and retake harness. Use Tesa Tape.

Fish thin section of harness thru top rear PCM local frame and under bottom frame. Install integration box at an angle thru bottom frame.

Integration box positioned in place, thin section of CarPlay harness is fed under integration box first before inserting int. Box.

The steps I took are extra and required extra patience, time and knowledge in soldering to achieve.

The amount of free space behind the PCM is limited and adding an extra harness loom complicates thing more. However, I found a way to fit the extra harness, including the integration box. The section of the new harness is outfitted with four connectors (2 - Large Black & 2 - Small White). Focus on the 2 small white connectors. At this section the harness has (6 loose wire labeled), these wires are for your +VDC, Ground, Video in, Mic. in, and two extra features not required on your 911. This is extra work, but I took the loose labeled (black wire)ground and soldered extra same gauge wire (18-20) to match the longest length of the main harness which will bond to the main harness in your dash after you relocate the fiber optic wires. From the labeled wires I proceeded to carefully remove the (Tesa Tape) which is cloth tape to match the OEM tape in your vehicle. Tesa tape gives easily and allows the harness to flex with less rigidity. I went online and pursched Tesa Tape from Amazon prior to my installation. After removing the tape, I isolated the wire/s that ground the PCM to your chassis. The pin on the OEM harness loom is the BROWN wire. The pin on the CarPlay harness loom is not labeled, so I had to use a DMM to perform a continuity test to locate the ground pin. After locating the ground pin on the main harness I proceeded to solder the (18-20) gauge wire to this point. The ground wire in the CarPlay harness will likely have at least another wire soldered in place. Using one common ground allowed me more room and one less wire to fumble and assured an absolute ground for the integration box. I then relocated the Fiber Optic cable to the new harness (provided your vehicle is equipped with either Bose/Burmester System) and connected the OEM main PCM harness loom with the CarPlay loom and positioned the Fiber Optic wires to the new (CarPlay) harness on the connector that will mate to the backside of the PCM. The next step I took is running the thinner part of the new (CarPlay) harness behind the main opening furthest back and under where you PCM slides in. Next step, take the integration box and position it under the compartment below the PCM. Ensure the integration box pins are switched properly, refer to your instructions. The terminal connections must face you and oriented right side up. Fish the thinner harness behind the frame and under to the section below the PCM, then take your integration box and position it in place through the frame at a slight angle. Refer to the attached pictures.
Thank you for all the pictures!!! I finally figured out where to position the box to get it to fit. I didn't realize in the picture above that it was slid through that trapezoidal opening in the back!

The following users liked this post:
911TurboRules (12-29-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Yes, you got it! Fish the thinner harness with the two white connectors that will plug in to the integration box first, then insert the box.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1