Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
So I received my Unichip Carplay retrofit and it was relatively easy to install. But it seems to have a ton of bugs. Has anyone else here installed this particular unit? It randomly turns on and off and does funky things like turn on after the car has turned off.

Anyways, I am waiting on the manufacture to see if they might have updates. It's possible I just have a defective unit.
Let us know as I am seriously considering buying the unit. Where did you get your unit?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

yes, wher did you get your unit? the one from China or the one from th UK? i’d love to get an ApplePlay but if it has problems guess i’ll have to wait for one that works.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
yes, wher did you get your unit? the one from China or the one from th UK? i’d love to get an ApplePlay but if it has problems guess i’ll have to wait for one that works.

i bought it directly from the mfg from China, but from a previous post, my unit came in the same package that NMauto ships as I think he uses the same hardware. I think what Nick is selling is support, better mic, installation instructions (would have saved me some major headaches), stand offs and all the updates to make the install as painless as possible. Obviously all the development costs a fair amount of money and time. In hindsight I should have bought the kit from him as buying direct from MFG was similar pricing.

Live and learn

I'll probably reach out to Nick to see if he can sell me a support package for the firmware updates and standoffs.

Last edited by Joec500; 09-26-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default CarPlay

I’m also considering the CarPlay device. So far I’m hearing the Unichip device from China has some issues. On the other hand, I’m hearing positive feedback from Nmautomotive.uk. I also reached out to Nick from NMautomotive inquiring about his kit and whether the satellite radio PCB has to be removed to install the interface PCB. Nick stated his device will work without having to remove the satellite PCB. Here is a list of items that come with his kit. I was also informed a two part firmware installation is required and it’s the buyer’s responsibility to provide a USB flash drive at size: 1GB - 16GB. You can elect to use one flash drive to download the firmware (info is provided in 45 page instructions), or use two flash drives to download two separate pieces of firmware. The flash drives need to be formatted in FAT32 before you download the firmware. From what I’ve read the installation will require at least four hours to complete and the conversion is rated at a difficult level.

The CarPlay kit consists of the following:

1) Sub-board to be installed in the PCM.
2) Separate CarPlay unit, normally installed 'hidden' behind the PCM.
3) Wiring harness.
4) A high quality/small Parrot microphone, stand-off studs to allow Sirius XM to be maintained, a USB extension to allow the USB to be positioned as required or as an option a USB adapter allowing the glovebox USB to be used exclusively for CarPlay, and remote installation support.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:37 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember some people asking about Waze and Apple Carplay connectivity. Here's a screenshot from my update today.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Shout out to Nick!

I PM'd him and he replied with ALL the support docs eventhough I didn't buy my kit from him! I even offered to pay and he just sent me all the information. Once I apply the updates I will update the forum. Thank you Nick and moving forward you will get my all my business and referrals from my local Porsche Car Group.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Shout out to Nick!

I PM'd him and he replied with ALL the support docs eventhough I didn't buy my kit from him! I even offered to pay and he just sent me all the information. Once I apply the updates I will update the forum. Thank you Nick and moving forward you will get my all my business and referrals from my local Porsche Car Group.
Great news! Keep us in the loop with the updates.

Am assuming you did a self install. How would you rate the difficulty of doing the conversion?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Great news! Keep us in the loop with the updates.

Am assuming you did a self install. How would you rate the difficulty of doing the conversion?
I have a fair amount of experience installing car stereos in my younger years and have worked with small electronics (lots of modchip installs in my childhood). With this experience it's VERY straightforward in terms of the physical install. But I can see why most car stereo shops won't TOUCH this. There are lots of little tricky pieces, but Nick's manual is VERY thorough.

A ton of effort has gone into all his documentation and kit assembly. I think I could do an install in maybe 3-4 hours if I really took my time and 2-3 hours if I rushed now that I have done one.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: using the latest version of iOS on my IphoneXS MAX and I am happy to report everything works perfectly.

Thanks again Nick for all the help! Definitely a huge asset and great vendor to our community.

If any SF Bay Area folks decide to purchase his kit, I am happy to demo the kit and help with local trouble shooting.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick has answered many of my questions and sent informed about the installation. I've talked to one installer he wouldn't open the pcm and install the board. I'm still searching for a shop to do the install.

Cman21
Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cman21
Nick has answered many of my questions and sent informed about the installation. I've talked to one installer he wouldn't open the pcm and install the board. I'm still searching for a shop to do the install.

Cman21
I actually think the easiest part is taking the PCM apart and installing the board. Winding the wires and removing all the connectors is much more challenging IMO.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

UPDATE: using the latest version of iOS on my IphoneXS MAX and I am happy to report everything works perfectly.

Thanks again Nick for all the help! Definitely a huge asset and great vendor to our community.

If any SF Bay Area folks decide to purchase his kit, I am happy to demo the kit and help with local trouble shooting.

Hey Joe, good to hear everything is working out. How are you liking it? Any quirks we should know about.

Going back to installation, would you say that the various YouTube vids out there are accurate regarding the taking apart of the PCM and the removal and replacement of the ribbons is more or less accurate? Of course, the vids make it seem relatively easy, but would you say that Nick's instructions are more accurate and maybe easier?

Thanks for the input. I am not an iphone guy and am basically waiting for Nick to perfect AndroidAuto and may even wait a little longer for him to perfect wifi.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hey Joe, good to hear everything is working out. How are you liking it? Any quirks we should know about.

Going back to installation, would you say that the various YouTube vids out there are accurate regarding the taking apart of the PCM and the removal and replacement of the ribbons is more or less accurate? Of course, the vids make it seem relatively easy, but would you say that Nick's instructions are more accurate and maybe easier?

Thanks for the input. I am not an iphone guy and am basically waiting for Nick to perfect AndroidAuto and may even wait a little longer for him to perfect wifi.
Yes, more or less the videos are pretty accurate. Nick's instructions go in detail about the software setup and physical install into vehicles.

So far so good, but it's only day 2. But now i just leave my phone in the glove box, when before I had it mounted in view.

Last edited by Joec500; 09-27-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:51 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

maybe the few of us in the bay area who expressed interest can buy and get together to do the installs?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by systemr
maybe the few of us in the bay area who expressed interest can do a group buy and get together to do the installs?
Happy to help out if you folks organize something.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1