Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base Carrera w/PSE how to add more sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
200 cell sport cats will open it up....however PSE is very quiet...always has been...I had PSE on my 997 GTS and took it off.
The sport cats seem like the most bang for the buck but what do you recommend as a replacement for PSE? Speed tech has a valved x-pipe. GMG also has an x-pipe with no valves and super straight through design. For big $ the Kline inconel system with 100 or 200 cell cats looks and sounds nice.

Last edited by Boulder Mike; 01-28-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

PSE in general is a joke. Even on 997 and 991.1, they are a ***** cat purr compared to a worthy aftermarket system.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Start with the sport cats as a first step. I think you will be happy.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
Buy a real 991.....991.1

The slow one you mean
Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I went with Fabspeed headers and sport cats. It’s definitely louder in sport mode and a little louder in standard mode than OEM. The 3.0tt motor has a lower tone than the 3.8 n/a motor.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
OP you might also want to explore removing some of the sound deadening material. Both the T and GTS versions have done this to deliver more mechanical engine noises to the cabin.
Would be my first move.

I see the 991.1 crew is not yet full gale, but don't worry—they'll blow harder.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:06 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I think forum member R Rated sells these for $9.91

Sorry, couldn't resist

Originally Posted by LexVan
Should we send a "well being" check to R-Rated's house?
LOL - had a good laugh

OP - congrats on the faster car with the more fun engine
Old 01-29-2018, 06:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Did the same search, seems the consensus is to mess with the catalytic converters, either delete or sport.
The rest won't change much. Some nice aftermarket resonator replacement out there, imho didn't upped the sound that much.
I heard a .2 base with cat bypass, and my .1 with X Pipe (i.e it still has full cats, and two stock mufflers) sill sounded louder and more raucous to me. Said cat bypass .2 did sound louder than a standard .2 PSE, but for a complete cat bypass, not as extreme as I'd imagine. Those turbos, intercooler and the plumbing that goes with them act as a large enough "muffler" to where even without all the extra mufflers and cats, the decibel level was fairly reasonable. I personally would never mess with emissions stuff, so it'd be a non starter anyways.

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
The amount of bandwidth on these forums devoted to sound cracks me up. I have never heard a 6 cylinder motor that the sound impressed me. Buy something with 8 or more cylinders or be pleased with what you have.
Sucks for you.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Sucks for you.
Not really. I just have a different opinion. I buy a 911 for the exterior styling and performance, could care less what it sounds like. Have other cars that check the sound good box.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Not really. I just have a different opinion. I buy a 911 for the exterior styling and performance, could care less what it sounds like. Have other cars that check the sound good box.
Hey, if it works, it works. More power to you (genuinely). For me, a good and raw/uncorked flat six is up there with the best of the best. I guess snark aside, I truly do mean that it is nice to love the 911 for all those things AND the way it sounds. It’s a more polarizing sound than a classic “can’t go wrong” V8. But I do like how much more unique it is (V8’s harbor their own distinctions but at the end of the day, many of them can sound pretty alike).
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 AM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 72 Posts

i went with the Soul sport cats on my 991.2. i think the sport cats really make a difference, and the price can't be beat. i've had 3 prior 991.1's with varying exhaust setups ranging from mild to crazy loud. the sport cats on the 991.2 are just about right for me. there's no hiding that its a turbo car, but you still get the flat six sound which is amplified and much better than stock PSE while maintaining the stock PSE muffler. i do find the new car more enjoyable as a daily driver than the prior 991.1's given the extra torque but to each their own.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 AM
lazrgato
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you everyone for their response! It looks like sport cats are probably the way to go, I'm really trying to avoid adding more bass. How difficult is it to remove sound deadening? Can this process be reversed? I live near BBI and GMG maybe they have some different examples I could hear. Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Exactly, the sound isn't the be all and end all of these cars...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Hey, if it works, it works. More power to you (genuinely). For me, a good and raw/uncorked flat six is up there with the best of the best. I guess snark aside, I truly do mean that it is nice to love the 911 for all those things AND the way it sounds. It’s a more polarizing sound than a classic “can’t go wrong” V8. But I do like how much more unique it is (V8’s harbor their own distinctions but at the end of the day, many of them can sound pretty alike).
Yep good point. My initial post was self centered on what I like. Everyone has their own likes and draws to a certain car. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by lazrgato
Thank you everyone for their response! It looks like sport cats are probably the way to go, I'm really trying to avoid adding more bass. How difficult is it to remove sound deadening? Can this process be reversed? I live near BBI and GMG maybe they have some different examples I could hear. Thanks again!
Not very easy at all I’d imagine. Whatever difference in sound the Carrera T may have inside should give some insight (as they apparently stripped some insulation to try and make it louder). Maybe removing your back seats may help a bit. I’d look up YouTube videos of various exhaust setups as well. I can speak of a complete cat bypass (not recommended at all) which did appear to put emphasis on more bass and an orgy of uncorked turbo whistles more than it brought out an actual uncorked motor sound, imo. Maybe take the mufflers off and weld in X and/or straight pipes? But you may run into just a less loud version of what I described with the cat bypass.

Yep good point. My initial post was self centered on what I like. Everyone has their own likes and draws to a certain car. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
Yessir, absolutely. As was mine completely. Sound just happens to be maybe my favorite aspect of driving my car (that and handling), but an environment that has me generally in a zone of 30-70 with maybe 3/4 throttle (no WOT) at most (when I do have room to run it), sound simply becomes the ultimate and most necessary way to get some feel/emotion/visceral/feedback from the car (for me).

I recently drove a Miata RF, and that thing is so engaging (not very visceral, but engaging), you can drive it at 9/10’s without going too fast or being reckless, therefore I didn’t even need that sound feedback. Preferences via all of us having cars that we require to fill (or not fill) a certain desire or necessity is indeed what it’s all about!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base Carrera w/PSE how to add more sound?