Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Third / Center Radiator Install

 
Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM
  #31  
arter
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
arter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hagfish2 View Post
On the 997, there were pre-determined cut-outs on the lower portion of the bumper cover for adding ventilation with the third radiator. You just took a Stanley knife and followed the imprints for the rectangular cut-outs. Not sure if the 991 has these already in place from the factory.
The 991.2 ( at least) has three holes in the bottom for the air to exit from the center radiator.
arter is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
  #32  
Tampa991
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Tampa991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by awrryan View Post


you do not need to cut anything. The kit comes with a new pre-Formed shroud.
So the center shroud pops out and is replaced with a new one, right? Where did you get your 3rd rad set up? Suncoast? Have you noticed a change in oil temps since the install?
Tampa991 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
  #33  
4 Point 0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
4 Point 0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by awrryan View Post


I do not think so. From the factory, those cars headed towards a warm climate that have a center radiator do not otherwise differentiate from one that does not.
The point 1 GTS came standard here with the third radiator. So I assumed my Point 2 would come with it. It's a god damn desert here and we don't get the third radiator.

Originally Posted by awrryan View Post


you do not need to cut anything. The kit comes with a new pre-Formed shroud.
In 2018 the Point 2's here Aussie spec came standard with ACC. Does anyne have a pic of a thrid radiator with ACC - The big ball camera in front, I have never used it and I have had my car 12 months now. I doubt I ever will use it, but it distinguishes 2018's.

If its too hard, I will just upgrade the outside two with PWR. They even do an upgraded centre one as well.
4 Point 0 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
  #34  
keithgreer
User
 
keithgreer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 233
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Here is an excellent installation video that was just posted.
keithgreer is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 AM
  #35  
4 Point 0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
4 Point 0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

At 38 seconds he says all of the newer 991.2's have the third radiator because they are turbo. That is not correct. Even the GTS no longer come standard with a third radiator, when our point 1 GTS did.

I have ACC so until I see a replacement to deal with that, I may just do the outside 2. But I like the look of the GT3 front bumper. maybe I do that and then upgrade all three across the front and ditch the ACC, as I never use it.
4 Point 0 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM
  #36  
Tampa991
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Tampa991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was going to post a DIY when I do this, this video is more than enough help.
Tampa991 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
  #37  
Jack F
User
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 348
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Have you completed the radiator install?

Originally Posted by Tampa991 View Post

I was going to post a DIY when I do this, this video is more than enough help.
Jack F is online now  
Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM
  #38  
splinterAMG
User
 
splinterAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Highly recommended for those in warmer climes.

OBD-II monitoring verifies significant (e.g., <20° F) reduction during the debilitating heat of summer.

splinterAMG is offline  
Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 PM
  #39  
GR997S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GR997S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orange County, Ca.
Posts: 562
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by splinterAMG View Post
Highly recommended for those in warmer climes.

OBD-II monitoring verifies significant (e.g., <20° F) reduction during the debilitating heat of summer.

That’s James Buck I believe. How much for the install? Is So Cal hot enough to justify it? Thanks
GR997S is online now  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 PM
  #40  
PCA1983
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
PCA1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Orlando (winter), Chicago (Summer)
Posts: 1,768
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0 View Post
At 38 seconds he says all of the newer 991.2's have the third radiator because they are turbo. That is not correct. Even the GTS no longer come standard with a third radiator, when our point 1 GTS did.
I have ACC so until I see a replacement to deal with that, I may just do the outside 2. But I like the look of the GT3 front bumper. maybe I do that and then upgrade all three across the front and ditch the ACC, as I never use it.
The 991.2s have improved cooling. But if in hot dessert climate or when tuning, a 3rd radiator is very useful.
PCA1983 is offline  
Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 AM
  #41  
splinterAMG
User
 
splinterAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GR997S View Post
That’s James Buck I believe. How much for the install? Is So Cal hot enough to justify it? Thanks
Good eye. That is James Buck of Cape Auto in Mission Viejo.
He has proven a sharp and conscientious technician in our business interactions.

Honestly don’t recall labor investment (I supplied hardware from SunCoast) but thought he was quite reasonable.
He's done several such retrofits so installation is quick and straightforward for him.

Cruising PCH in coastal OC the OE heat exchangers are entirely adequate.
Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and California Speedway often see ambient temperatures of ~100°F during summertime HPDEs, when thermal management proves critical.

And that as-delivered $3 blanking panel looked like a ridiculous ‘option delete stripper’ piece on an otherwise attractive front clip.



no affiliation:
https://www.capeautorepair.com/


splinterAMG is offline  
Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM
  #42  
Bud Taylor
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 889
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Longevity and Looks

I do live in Florida but dont track. It will however be worth it to get rid of that walmart looking piece of plastic. It is literally the only thing on the entire car I dont like. Also, i have to think 20 degrees cooler will make everything last longer. I may not be worried about overheating but as this is a long term car I am concerned with longevity.


Originally Posted by splinterAMG View Post
Good eye. That is James Buck of Cape Auto in Mission Viejo.
He has proven a sharp and conscientious technician in our business interactions.

Honestly don’t recall labor investment (I supplied hardware from SunCoast) but thought he was quite reasonable.
He's done several such retrofits so installation is quick and straightforward for him.

Cruising PCH in coastal OC the OE heat exchangers are entirely adequate.
Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and California Speedway often see ambient temperatures of ~100°F during summertime HPDEs, when thermal management proves critical.

And that as-delivered $3 blanking panel looked like a ridiculous ‘option delete stripper’ piece on an otherwise attractive front clip.



no affiliation:
https://www.capeautorepair.com/
Bud Taylor is offline  
Old 06-23-2019, 10:23 AM
  #43  
Jack F
User
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 348
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor View Post
I do live in Florida but dont track. It will however be worth it to get rid of that walmart looking piece of plastic. It is literally the only thing on the entire car I dont like. Also, i have to think 20 degrees cooler will make everything last longer. I may not be worried about overheating but as this is a long term car I am concerned with longevity.

Many folks don’t like the plastic plug. The third radiator is a great solution for this and you get the added comfort knowing that you can drive in hard and the hottest days and that there should be no issues.

Last edited by Jack F; 06-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Jack F is online now  
Old 06-23-2019, 10:26 AM
  #44  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,792
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

20 degrees cooler. Luv it. Glad I ordered the PowerKit back in 2014.
LexVan is offline  
Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM
  #45  
fsmich
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: socal
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by splinterAMG View Post
Highly recommended for those in warmer climes.

OBD-II monitoring verifies significant (e.g., <20° F) reduction during the debilitating heat of summer.

What oil temps are you seeing on the track with the 3rd radiator in the summer heat?
fsmich is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Third / Center Radiator Install


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: