Sponsored by:

Third / Center Radiator Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by hagfish2
On the 997, there were pre-determined cut-outs on the lower portion of the bumper cover for adding ventilation with the third radiator. You just took a Stanley knife and followed the imprints for the rectangular cut-outs. Not sure if the 991 has these already in place from the factory.
The 991.2 ( at least) has three holes in the bottom for the air to exit from the center radiator.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

you do not need to cut anything. The kit comes with a new pre-Formed shroud.
So the center shroud pops out and is replaced with a new one, right? Where did you get your 3rd rad set up? Suncoast? Have you noticed a change in oil temps since the install?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

I do not think so. From the factory, those cars headed towards a warm climate that have a center radiator do not otherwise differentiate from one that does not.
The point 1 GTS came standard here with the third radiator. So I assumed my Point 2 would come with it. It's a god damn desert here and we don't get the third radiator.

you do not need to cut anything. The kit comes with a new pre-Formed shroud.
In 2018 the Point 2's here Aussie spec came standard with ACC. Does anyne have a pic of a thrid radiator with ACC - The big ball camera in front, I have never used it and I have had my car 12 months now. I doubt I ever will use it, but it distinguishes 2018's.

If its too hard, I will just upgrade the outside two with PWR. They even do an upgraded centre one as well.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an excellent installation video that was just posted.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

At 38 seconds he says all of the newer 991.2's have the third radiator because they are turbo. That is not correct. Even the GTS no longer come standard with a third radiator, when our point 1 GTS did.

I have ACC so until I see a replacement to deal with that, I may just do the outside 2. But I like the look of the GT3 front bumper. maybe I do that and then upgrade all three across the front and ditch the ACC, as I never use it.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to post a DIY when I do this, this video is more than enough help.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Have you completed the radiator install?

Originally Posted by Tampa991

I was going to post a DIY when I do this, this video is more than enough help.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM
splinterAMG
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Highly recommended for those in warmer climes.

OBD-II monitoring verifies significant (e.g., <20° F) reduction during the debilitating heat of summer.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by splinterAMG

OBD-II monitoring verifies significant (e.g., <20° F) reduction during the debilitating heat of summer.

That’s James Buck I believe. How much for the install? Is So Cal hot enough to justify it? Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
At 38 seconds he says all of the newer 991.2's have the third radiator because they are turbo. That is not correct. Even the GTS no longer come standard with a third radiator, when our point 1 GTS did.
I have ACC so until I see a replacement to deal with that, I may just do the outside 2. But I like the look of the GT3 front bumper. maybe I do that and then upgrade all three across the front and ditch the ACC, as I never use it.
The 991.2s have improved cooling. But if in hot dessert climate or when tuning, a 3rd radiator is very useful.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 AM
splinterAMG
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GR997S
That’s James Buck I believe. How much for the install? Is So Cal hot enough to justify it? Thanks
Good eye. That is James Buck of Cape Auto in Mission Viejo.
He has proven a sharp and conscientious technician in our business interactions.

Honestly don’t recall labor investment (I supplied hardware from SunCoast) but thought he was quite reasonable.
He's done several such retrofits so installation is quick and straightforward for him.

Cruising PCH in coastal OC the OE heat exchangers are entirely adequate.
Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and California Speedway often see ambient temperatures of ~100°F during summertime HPDEs, when thermal management proves critical.

And that as-delivered $3 blanking panel looked like a ridiculous ‘option delete stripper’ piece on an otherwise attractive front clip.

no affiliation:
https://www.capeautorepair.com/

Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Longevity and Looks

I do live in Florida but dont track. It will however be worth it to get rid of that walmart looking piece of plastic. It is literally the only thing on the entire car I dont like. Also, i have to think 20 degrees cooler will make everything last longer. I may not be worried about overheating but as this is a long term car I am concerned with longevity.

Good eye. That is James Buck of Cape Auto in Mission Viejo.
He has proven a sharp and conscientious technician in our business interactions.

Honestly don’t recall labor investment (I supplied hardware from SunCoast) but thought he was quite reasonable.
He's done several such retrofits so installation is quick and straightforward for him.

Cruising PCH in coastal OC the OE heat exchangers are entirely adequate.
Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and California Speedway often see ambient temperatures of ~100°F during summertime HPDEs, when thermal management proves critical.

And that as-delivered $3 blanking panel looked like a ridiculous ‘option delete stripper’ piece on an otherwise attractive front clip.

no affiliation:
https://www.capeautorepair.com/
Old 06-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I do live in Florida but dont track. It will however be worth it to get rid of that walmart looking piece of plastic. It is literally the only thing on the entire car I dont like. Also, i have to think 20 degrees cooler will make everything last longer. I may not be worried about overheating but as this is a long term car I am concerned with longevity.

Many folks don’t like the plastic plug. The third radiator is a great solution for this and you get the added comfort knowing that you can drive in hard and the hottest days and that there should be no issues.

Last edited by Jack F; 06-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

20 degrees cooler. Luv it. Glad I ordered the PowerKit back in 2014.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

What oil temps are you seeing on the track with the 3rd radiator in the summer heat?

Quick Reply: Third / Center Radiator Install