991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third / Center Radiator Install

Old 01-14-2019, 08:09 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Can you add some addition information about bleeding and refilling the coolant?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Air exits from the bottom
Wonder if that has any aerodynamic effect. Air entering the nose and exiting on the bottom would tend to increase lift on the nose.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Can you add some addition information about bleeding and refilling the coolant?
You're obviously going to lose coolant during this process, I just filled it up with coolant, drove it, and refilled when the engine cooled. Not sure that's the exact correct method. There may be other diys on this issue somewhere. I tried to minimize coolant loss by not removing the coolant cap from under the hood (think of allowing liquid to accumulate in a straw and blocking the opening on top with your finger: The liquid won't fall out of the straw);
Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Wonder if that has any aerodynamic effect. Air entering the nose and exiting on the bottom would tend to increase lift on the nose.
I was thinking the same thing. I know the caymans when they do it exit from the bottom.

Would it be worth getting a GT3 front bumper so it can exit from the top?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I was thinking the same thing. I know the caymans when they do it exit from the bottom.

Seems like the GT3 design would be aerodynamically superior. But without knowing the precise differences, it's hard to know if the change is worth it.t.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Seems like the GT3 design would be aerodynamically superior. But without knowing the precise differences, it's hard to know if the change is worth it.t.

Oh man. Now I NEED to do aero. Just when I think my car is done....
Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

For me, the question of when to do it is foremost. I added the X51 PowerKit and from what I read, center radiator is not needed. I live in FL in Winter and in IL in Summer, and do not see any need for center radiator yet.
But when I go for a tune, I'm aware some go larger intercoolers, some go IPD larger plenums, and some go for the 3rd radiator - or some combo of these.
My dilemma is - What/which should be done when adding a tune to a GTS or S with X51 PowerKit?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
You're obviously going to lose coolant during this process, I just filled it up with coolant, drove it, and refilled when the engine cooled. Not sure that's the exact correct method. There may be other diys on this issue somewhere. I tried to minimize coolant loss by not removing the coolant cap from under the hood (think of allowing liquid to accumulate in a straw and blocking the opening on top with your finger: The liquid won't fall out of the straw);

I ma ignorant to this process.... so I'm asking to learn.... but don't you have to purge it to get the air out or is that not a thing?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
For me, the question of when to do it is foremost. I added the X51 PowerKit and from what I read, center radiator is not needed. I live in FL in Winter and in IL in Summer, and do not see any need for center radiator yet.
But when I go for a tune, I'm aware some go larger intercoolers, some go IPD larger plenums, and some go for the 3rd radiator - or some combo of these.
My dilemma is - What/which should be done when adding a tune to a GTS or S with X51 PowerKit?
Unless you are doing track days with extended time at WOT, it's unlikely you'll need the center radiator. Easiest thing to do is datalog your oil temperatures. I'd consider the radiator if your oil temps start exceeding 250F.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I ma ignorant to this process.... so I'm asking to learn.... but don't you have to purge it to get the air out or is that not a thing?
On all of the cars I've worked on, there's typically a bleed valve at a high location in the system. But even after doing a bleed procedure, there's still always air in the system. I've found it always takes some driving with high rpms to get the water pump really going and push out the air bubbles. Your coolant level will drop in the reservoir bottle, so keep an eye on it and keep on topping it off until it stops dropping after hard driving.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 997, there were pre-determined cut-outs on the lower portion of the bumper cover for adding ventilation with the third radiator. You just took a Stanley knife and followed the imprints for the rectangular cut-outs. Not sure if the 991 has these already in place from the factory.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCA1983
i wouldn’t even bother adding a tune to a naturally aspirated engine. But that’s me. I live in Florida year-round, but I track my car. That’s why I installed a third radiator. I agree it’s not necessary for regular driving, even in Florida.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hagfish2
On the 997, there were pre-determined cut-outs on the lower portion of the bumper cover for adding ventilation with the third radiator. You just took a Stanley knife and followed the imprints for the rectangular cut-outs. Not sure if the 991 has these already in place from the factory.
This was my question regarding this install...does the radiator kit come with a new bumper insert or do you cut out where the shroud joins the bumper cover?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tampa991
This was my question regarding this install...does the radiator kit come with a new bumper insert or do you cut out where the shroud joins the bumper cover?
you do not need to cut anything. The kit comes with a new pre-Formed shroud.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

I do not think so. From the factory, those cars headed towards a warm climate that have a center radiator do not otherwise differentiate from one that does not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Third / Center Radiator Install