Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts
Default Rolex 24

Those Race Porsches look fantastic.

Lets get em folks........ win win win
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The @PorscheRaces twitter feed has fantastic images and updates from the race.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys forgot that when the EU and the marshmallow woman (Merkel) tell Porsche to bend over.....they do and take it straight up. Porsche is basically a no show at Daytona and all world racing............oh did I forget Formula E?? Yes Porsche will be the star of Formula E, for all snowflakes to watch in their quiet space with cookies and milk.

Kudos to Cadillac, Ford and Lambo racing today at Daytona !! Honorable mention to Corvette........cookies and milk to Porsche.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, not looking good for Porsche today. Still a good race, but damn, Ford and Chevrolet have been impressive.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It was very very sad to sit there at the track and watch the GT's and Vette's just "walk" all over the RSR's. The RSR's seemed to be out classed, and/or out driven, and/or out ruled (maybe all three) ... it was not a happy experience to sit through.

I realize that IMSA "manages things" with there Balance of Power rules and sure hope that they may have over-managed the RSR's a bit.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Im not watching ANY Formula E sewing machine racing - I could care less if Porsche breaks the land speed record and flies around the track.

As a matter of fact this whole business and the 4 cylinders etc is a big reason for the first time since the 1980s that I am seriously looking at a Corvette. And I have never had a Corvette of any kind. Porsche can and will do what they want - and so will I. Whether they want to admit it or not this all plays in to why their N American sales are flat or lower and would be worse without discounting.

That all said Corvette just didn't have the speed at Daytona. But GM is making an effort and look at Cadillac go! I remember back when that was Porsche setting the distance record.

I think the Corvettes will be in the mix at Sebring more than Daytona. If Porsche does something else other - then Id like to see that too. Sans the E.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
Have you guys forgot that when the EU and the marshmallow woman (Merkel) tell Porsche to bend over.....they do and take it straight up. Porsche is basically a no show at Daytona and all world racing............oh did I forget Formula E?? Yes Porsche will be the star of Formula E, for all snowflakes to watch in their quiet space with cookies and milk.

Kudos to Cadillac, Ford and Lambo racing today at Daytona !! Honorable mention to Corvette........cookies and milk to Porsche.
You forgot....gluten and sugar free cookies. The milk has to be all organic and antibiotic free from free range never abused or rudely spoken to cows.

It is quite disappointing Porsche cannot field a more competitive car. Having said that I am pleased at how competitive Ford and GM are when they want to be.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Porsche is really struggling with RSR at Rolex. And with them leaving LMP1, dropping 919 and heading to Formula E we can read between the lines on what corporate priorities at VW are set to.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Porsche is really struggling with RSR at Rolex. And with them leaving LMP1, dropping 919 and heading to Formula E we can read between the lines on what corporate priorities at VW are set to.
This! Formula E, I watched a race a few weeks ago for about 10 minutes, then fell asleep. They better step up in GTLM, a sad state of affairs. Porsche got spanked at Daytona this weekend.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 AM
jnolan
Pro

snoozefest also describes F1 these days...

Porsche did indeed disappoint at the Rolex 24. The Ford GTs are dominant in every respect but the real story may be how well the Corvettes performed, 2 and 3 laps off the winning GT. The real surprise, for me, is how close the Ferrari 488 and RSR 911 were at the final. Ferrari can’t be happy about that result.

The Ford GT is a remarkable achievement. Really impressive to watch them race. I still can’t get over how well the Corvettes performed.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I love the 24 hour, but I don't put much meaning to the results any more.

The GTLM and GTD results are the product of IMSA's index of performance allowances for each brand. What it allows for each brand (typically changes in weight and air allowed into the engine) is adjusted prior to every event. That has everything to do with attempting to make the events competitive among the purpose built race cars of the brands it attracts. It is great occasionally when they get it past the politics and sandbagging of the teams.

There are some more general specifications that are free for all cars in a class. That's why Ford built GTLM race cars and tweaked them for a limited production run for the (anointed) public. Thats why the latest GTLM "911s" are mid-engined to make room for huge rear diffusers under the car. I suppose that if Porsche abandons the "718" line and offers a mid engine "911" to the ever expanding 911 series, IMSA can be thanked!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
snoozefest also describes F1 these days...

Porsche did indeed disappoint at the Rolex 24. The Ford GTs are dominant in every respect but the real story may be how well the Corvettes performed, 2 and 3 laps off the winning GT. The real surprise, for me, is how close the Ferrari 488 and RSR 911 were at the final. Ferrari can’t be happy about that result.

The Ford GT is a remarkable achievement. Really impressive to watch them race. I still can’t get over how well the Corvettes performed.
Corvette team has been dominate for years (the team to beat). They have a way better track record than Porsche 911's the last 10 years in American le Mans and IMSA series.

On that note, everyone is kidding themselves if they think GTLM cars have anymore relation to street car other than - frame and engine placement limited to (in front of driver and Behind of driver) - Porsche read this and said hah! mid engine legal within rules.
GTD class is closer to production car spec but again far removed from a street car.

clearly ford sandbagged for BOP.

Clearly the new 911 RSR is not competitive - it has had a lackluster run so far... last year just as horrible-

- And clearly Risis Ferrari (private team) can do pretty good job hanging with factory teams-
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 PM
jnolan
Pro

Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Those Race Porsches look fantastic.

Lets get em folks........ win win win
yep they looked good...that’s about all....Porsche pretty much sucked. Porsche used to mean Excellence....these days Porsche racing is Embarrassing hope they figure it out and turn it around this year.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Will Porsche ever have to produce a production car with the engine in the position as the RSR?

They made note in broadcast that BMW got a waiver for the 8 series race car, since it is not for sale to the public yet.

I just wondered how Porsche was allowed to run mid engine for a few years now?

Quick Reply: Rolex 24