Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options that you were disappointed/satisfied with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Not true anymore with the 991.2 or 718. Probably the same with 2017 Macans/Panameras. Every time you start the car, the auto stop function is enabled. You have to manually turn it off.
Yes. I'm quite aware of this and did not write anything to imply that this wasn't true for MY'17. And, as I wrote: one of the reasons I'm not looking at MY'17+ (until it can be coded to do 'the right thing.')

I left out a couple of sentences accidentally:

Since the auto-on stop/start feature is 'recent' - certainly for MY'17 perhaps for some '16s - the reason there's not more b1+ching may be because the majority of 991s are - for the moment - older than MY'17 and thus default to the last mode.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Interesting thread. After reading a lot of the posts, I am wondering if the current version of the 911 can even be considered a sports car based on on what folks seem to expect.
For those who use their 911s as daily drivers rather than weekend toys, some of these utility features are important. After all, a properly functioning voice activation system adds little or no weight, sucks no power from the engine, and does not degrade the handling. That's unlike many options such as glass sunroofs, that add considerable weight and in the worst possible place.

Moreover, now that Porsche is another cog in the vast VW combine and the new cars come with VW parts such as plastic oil drain plugs, it isn't asking too much to fit a decent voice activation system from the Audi parts bin.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

I ordered PDK and SC so I could have launch control. Yes, I am juvenile, easily amused, etc. etc.
Agree the Bose is pretty limp, but I do love the jukebox function.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Not my experience. My Targa when opened is wonderful at freeway speeds and I can converse with my passenger. A wonderful experience and better then the Cab.

Good news and glad to hear it!
Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee Fotops
Here she is.

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful cars. Is that the Iron Man logo?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I didn't order this car, but scoured daily for 4-months to find it. Best - full leather, Agate, sport design/ducktail, 7MT with GT4 shifter, PSE, SPASM, Carrera S OEM wheels - light strong, beautiful.

Only thing it's missing: rear PDC.

Least fav: Bose stereo for sure, sh*tty location/operation of electric handbrake.

Wouldn't bother with Lane Change control all the extra doodads on a .2 if I were ordering one. Not needed unless it's a commuter car IMO.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The only gripe with options I have is there is no option for a decent seat, at least in my GTS.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
The Bose in the 991.2 is quite nice.
Sorry bud - I wish you were right but it is not. The screen os way better but the sound of the speakers has not improved.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Sorry bud - I wish you were right but it is not. The screen os way better but the sound of the speakers has not improved.
The data bus has been improved with the .2, so perhaps this has improved sound resolution with the audio systems.

From the “2017 Teknik Introduction” document from Porsche:
The previous MOST 25 data bus has been replaced by the MOST 150 data bus for the infotainment system. MOST stands for “Media Oriented System Transport”. This is a serial data bus system for transmitting audio, video, voice and data signals via an optical fiber. The MOST 150 is present in the vehicle whenever a BOSE/Burmester digital amplifier is installed.
The illustration shows the components connected to the MOST ring. If a digital amplifier is not installed, the MOST ring is omitted from the vehicle. The display control panel (DCU) is connected to the PCM 4/central computer via an internal PCM CAN.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:38 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Worst feature on my 991.2 GTS Coupe: Parking sensors. I don't need them, visibility is great, part of driving a sports car is to be aware of your surroundings and develop a sense for the edges. Every time I start the car in my garage or the garage at work I get yelled at by the sensors. even though the parking brake is on and the car is stationary. Absolute stupidity of design. So first thing I do is disable it with the button. In the end I installed my old tow hook mount from the 981 GTS since the sensors were driving me crazy anyway.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Worst feature on my 991.2 GTS Coupe: Parking sensors. I don't need them, visibility is great, part of driving a sports car is to be aware of your surroundings and develop a sense for the edges. Every time I start the car in my garage or the garage at work I get yelled at by the sensors. even though the parking brake is on and the car is stationary. Absolute stupidity of design. So first thing I do is disable it with the button. In the end I installed my old tow hook mount from the 981 GTS since the sensors were driving me crazy anyway.
I hate the warts too. It’d be nice to have the backup camera though when you’re trying to get out of somewhere tight.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I feel like no seat ventilation is going to feel super strong. Maybe people wanted cooled seats instead? Coolong is probably more noticeable feel-wise but maybe less effective at keeping your butt fresh in the long run? The vented seats were great for road tripping 101 from CA-WA and back again.
Yes I would be much happier if they piped the AC through them. Like a Ford Explorer with heated/cooled seats does.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Love the Burmeister and glad I ponied up. Disappointed in nav system and Apple car play. Why can't I get Waze and decent perspective views with gas stations, weather etc. on the screen? MB has had it for years.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:00 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Thanks so much. I will go with sport design for sure.
You'll not regret it. I have it, love it.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

One option I would consider in a future build is the rear wiper. I’m no fan of the aesthetics but I am a big fan of visibility and that rear window can be a real problem. I bought a silicone squeegee to keep in the car.

Quick Reply: Options that you were disappointed/satisfied with?