Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 PDK - PADDLES TRAVEL TOO MUCH???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM
emin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 PDK - PADDLES TRAVEL TOO MUCH???

HELLO ALL,

I have a 2015 C4 GTS. Bought it new, 9k miles on the clock.

2 issues at hand: Dealer fails to notice either one. Anybody experience these issues or can post a link to a thread re: these 2 topics? Thanks in advance!

ISSUE # 1: Sometimes, when I put the car into PARK from DRIVE, I hear a sort of clunking noise in the tunnel. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side foot-well/tunnel area. It happens intermittently and of course it happened when I pulled into the dealership for service last Monday. Unfortunately, the shop foreman and I could not replicate this issue (of course!) and so they are not addressing it as existing. The shop foreman told me that these PDK transmissions are electronic, "fly by wire" and its an internal noise if anything and that "its normal". If its normal, why does it not do it all the time?

ISSUE # 2: The travel in my paddles is way too much. I've driven a friend's '13 C2S, as well as another friend's '15 GT3. Both PDK. They both seem to have "stiff" paddles" which react at a moment's notice. Mine has far too much travel. Basically, when I shift in their cars using the paddles, the distance of travel for the paddle from the bottom (dash side) to the top (driver's face) is far less than in my car. It's as if my paddles have too much travel between the time that I begin to pull on them up until the time it engages the shift-point. The dealership mechanic told me he drove the car and it's shifting fine. There is no delay in the shifting. He of course misunderstood what I meant. He thought I meant there is a delay in the shift time. The actual problem is the delay from the time I begin to pull on the paddle until the point at which it engages and signals the transmission to shift.

Any and all help/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:19 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

For #1 I only get a clunk (more like a thud) is when I go from Park to Drive after I park on an incline or decline and put the tranny in some type of bind when I park. I try to engage the parking brake before releasing the foot brake in situations like these to reduce the chance of making this thud sensation when I leave.

For #2 I've noticed I get lazy shifts in normal mode and crisper shifts in sport and sport plus like intended. I haven't had an opportunity to compare throw or shift characteristics back to back with other cars.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM
emin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your thud noise on an incline is normal. Just like with any other car. Try putting the car in neutral, applying the handbrake, let off the brake pedal, then put into park. This will eliminate that thud sound and stress on the gearbox.

Quick Reply: 991 PDK - PADDLES TRAVEL TOO MUCH???