Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GTS vs 2018 GT3 road course who wins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted you guys to convince me either way...still back to square one in my mind. I love hearing that GT3 motor roar too. But that's all it has over on the rest of the Turbo line Porsche offers. Maybe it's enough.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I just wanted you guys to convince me either way...still back to square one in my mind. I love hearing that GT3 motor roar too. But that's all it has over on the rest of the Turbo line Porsche offers. Maybe it's enough.
With 991.1 Carrera vs 991.2 Carrera, it isn't enough (for me).

With the GT3, it's enough. "Did you say there's a difference between the way a 991.1 and 991.2 Carrera sounds? WHAT? Are you even talking? I can't hear you…"
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Who cares honestly, are you going to be tracking it competitively? Then maybe a small care.

I’ll put my money on a GT3 especially if endurance comes into play, but that’s not even what a GT3 is all about.

Fun to drive, aural sensation, added curb appeal and exotic factor, more enthusiast respect commanded, more visceral sense-of-occasion experience? GT3.

Soon to be discontinued motor, the best of a last of a revered kind (if rumors are correct of turbo 992 GT3’s), instant classic, may not even depreciate and if so very little, plausible to be selling for more in 5 to 10+ years than it is today? GT3.

Unless being a cozy DD and slightly easier to navigate around traffic and mall parking lots scores that high on the gotta-have-it scale, to me it’s a no brainer. I’m too stubborn to pay ADM’s, but even with the ADM, I think the total cost of ownership (in terms of depreciation, not factoring in whatever maintenance differences) for the GT3 will be significantly less than the .2 GTS, which will depreciate at a normal rate (i.e doesn’t have that “grand finale/special thing” that 911 free markets tend to love).

Yes the initial investment will be higher. But it’ll be a better “stock” to hold, using that analogy. And it’ll be a more joyous experience (more for your money).

Again, to me, looking at it from any angle that matters to me, no brainer. But I put very little mileage on my 911, so it fits my lifestyle perfectly.

There’s my cents.

Considering out of everything, the sound my car (.1 C2) makes is probably where I place the highest enjoyment factor in regards to drive, I’d say for me; especially with a GT3.. It’s more than enough.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
Who cares honestly, are you going to be tracking it competitively? Then maybe a small care.

I’ll put my money on a GT3 especially if endurance comes into play, but that’s not even what a GT3 is all about.

Fun to drive, aural sensation, added curb appeal and exotic factor, more enthusiast respect commanded, more visceral sense-of-occasion experience? GT3.

Soon to be discontinued motor, the best of a last of a revered kind (if rumors are correct of turbo 992 GT3’s), instant classic, may not even depreciate and if so very little, plausible to be selling for more in 5 to 10+ years than it is today? GT3.

Unless being a cozy DD and slightly easier to navigate around traffic and mall parking lots scores that high on the gotta-have-it scale, to be it’s a no brainer. I’m too stubborn to pay ADM’s, but even with the ADM, I think the total cost of ownership (in terms of depreciation, not factoring in whatever maintenance differences) for the GT3 will be significantly less than the .2 GTS, which will depreciate at a normal rate (i.e doesn’t have that “grand finale/special thing” that 911 free markets tend to love).

Yes the initial investment will be higher. But it’ll be a better “stock” to hold, using that analogy. And it’ll be a more joyous experience (more for your money).

Again, to me, looking at it from any angle that matters to me, no brainer. But I put very little mileage on my 911, so it fits my lifestyle perfectly.

There’s my cents.
If only the GT3 Touring could be had with back seats…
Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
If only the GT3 Touring could be had with back seats…
I do like the little back seats, but since they’re rarely used (I’m a big frunker) even that wouldn’t be sacrificing much to me with the GT3.

Porsche confused me with the Touring though. If they “went there” as they did, an option for back seats would’ve made sense. Maybe that was just too far into sacrilege land for the engineers. Plus, it’s not like Porsche can’t sell every one they make, so I figure they aren’t desperate to make the GT3 a volume play.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A

I do like the little back seats, but since they’re rarely used (I’m a big frunker) even that wouldn’t be sacrificing much to me with the GT3.

Porsche confused me with the Touring though. If they “went there” as they did, an option for back seats would’ve made sense. Maybe that was just too far into sacrilege land for the engineers. Plus, it’s not like Porsche can’t sell every one they make, so I figure they aren’t desperate to make the GT3 a volume play.
Were I in your shoes, I'd sell my house to buy a GT3 Touring. Seriously. I'd be happy in a trailer park, or a tent.

The engine alone is insanely, madly, ridiculously good. Hard. Sharp. Refined. Nasty. A masterpiece with only six cylinders. The chassis is as least as good.

But I have a daughter, so I guess I'll keep the house. For the right reasons, of course...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM
K-A
Drifting

Were I in your shoes, I'd sell my house to buy a GT3 Touring. Seriously. I'd be happy in a trailer park, or a tent.

The engine alone is insanely, madly, ridiculously good.

But I have a daughter, so I guess I'll keep the house. For the right reasons, of course...
Hahaha. Sounds like we’re speaking the same language. Now to tell the wife about this slight lifestyle change.

I actually called dealers all over, when the .2GT3 got announced. Wanted to secure MSRP for a manual. I knew that I could drive that car “for free” for at least year, build up a priceless experience, and then decide what to do later (I’m sort of a juxtaposition of “very tactfully careful” and “jump in the deep end and let’s force ourself to adapt to make it work”). But most metaphorically or literally laughed at MSRP plausibility, and I just didn’t go further with it.

I will say, something like that would have my OCD meter pinging at maximum, I don’t know if I could handle it. That’s probably the only thing about my Carrera that I value over it. I’m crazy, but a little less crazy over it. A GT3 would have me in hyperdrive (literally and metaphorically) 24/7.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Setting aside availability of the GT3 and GTS, the other things the GTS has going for it are options not available on a GT3 (like a sunroof and back seats and ventilated seats and something other than a black interior) and, perhaps equally significant, that you can get AWD, a cab, or a Targa.

The other point is that the cost spread goes up if you want manual (PDK costs $3730 on a GTS and there is another $700 in gas guzzler to $1700 on a 6MT GT3 so realisticly it is $20k difference before discounts/ADM).
Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Apparently we're not doing a good enough job. I'm a GT3 guy so if I was looking at the two it would take me less time to pick the GT3 than it does for a PDK to shift gears.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
Setting aside availability of the GT3 and GTS, the other things the GTS has going for it are options not available on a GT3 (like a sunroof and back seats and ventilated seats and something other than a black interior) and, perhaps equally significant, that you can get AWD, a cab, or a Targa.

The other point is that the cost spread goes up if you want manual (PDK costs $3730 on a GTS and there is another $700 in gas guzzler to $1700 on a 6MT GT3 so realisticly it is $20k difference before discounts/ADM).
^ He applied…logic.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Well I can tell you at Sebring the 2018 GT3 is faster. GTS with more torque can stay with and creep up on a 2018 GT3 coming out of a corner...but the GT3 with both cars on mpsc2 will be better through a series of corners.

This is being equal drivers...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well I can tell you at Sebring the 2018 GT3 is faster. GTS with more torque can stay with and creep up on a 2018 GT3 coming out of a corner...but the GT3 with both cars on mpsc2 will be better through a series of corners.

This is being equal drivers...
Sebring ≠ to most tracks in the U.S. (or anywhere, for that matter). Such a unique beast. Suspect the GT3's aero has to be a big advantage there, and suspect the GT3's Weissach-Flacht pedigree will shine through as the laps pile one. Pretty interesting, nonetheless, to hear this when both cars on the same tires.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I race a cup car so ended up getting a PCCB/RWS/ Manual equipped GTS for myself. I enjoy it immensely. Compared to my 911R it's definitely more supple, and the 4.0 R engine is definitely raspier and more of a guitar solo but there is no arguing with the massive torque increase on highways.

I'd have to say that with equal tires it would be fun enough to play with the other car on track, although I generally enjoy trying to catch faster cars in a slower car...
Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

PDCC does make the car faster around a race track.
I've always heard this to be the case. If it is, do you know why it's not on the GT3?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, they're both sooo close that with an average driver the difference would be minuscule. 10 seconds difference on the Nurburgring (13 miles) is so close that on a normal (i.e shorter track) that there wouldn't be a big difference between the two.

Quick Reply: 2018 GTS vs 2018 GT3 road course who wins?